NWLIVEWIRE UPDATE - GI BILL USAGE IN MEXICO

nwlivewire

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
GREETINGS!

I used to post EVERYTHING that was happening to me while I was going through the ARMY medical discharge process - to include my experiences and timelines with SSD and the VA.

I was eventually rated 70% ARMY, 100% VA at time of discharge from military service - and awarded my full disability benefits under SSDI BEFORE I was disability discharged from military service.

This forum was an absolute lifeline to me - Jason Perry, Ma Parker and the moderators and members who contributed to this site offered sage advice at every bend, twist and turn in the road I had to travel on.

And I cannot thank all of you enough!!! I spent many a dark night on bald mountain and came very close to ending it all - and I know that without this site - I probably would have. I cannot thank everyone here often enough and express my gratitude deeply enough for the support and wisdom I was given - especially during those periods where I experienced some major case upsets and setbacks.

Perseverance and good case evidence will win - though for me it took quite a bit of stubborn stick-to-it-tiveness. Having Jason Perry as my legal representative was a sound decision for me and am glad he founded this site that I found - quite by accident. This site was THE key to my being able to put forward the elements needed to see my three cases to the winning finish line.

POST DISCHARGE UPDATE 2018

As many already know, in 2018, I was awarded CRDP - backpay to APR/MAY 2012 - 6 full years of backpay. Yes, I was heavily taxed on it (over 30% I think) and expect to file this year for a refund of some of the tax that was taken out before I received all that CRDP backpay.

Meanwhile, I relocated to Mexico and settled in Merida, Mexico - the capital city of the Mexican State of Yucatan - Merida is about 4 hours by car from Cancun. As a female, I feel safer here than I have felt in many larger cities where I have resided within the USA. Go figure....

In June 2018, I flew down to Merida with four pieces of luggage - that's it. Found a brand new condo (with a small private pool) to lease/rent for two years, got it furnished, adopted two cats, and now, I just finally bought a little, tiny mini-pickup up truck (4X2). I had to pay cash for it because I do not have the ability to finance it through the Mexican banking system (something I have yet to accomplish). But I don't have a car payment, so that's fine with me. For the next few months I can now explore the Yucatan peninsula and experience the sights, sounds, and flavors of what this region in the world has to offer - the Yucatan Peninsula is the heart of Maya country - a fascinating culture whose influences still reverberate in the societal structures to this day.

I need to get some medical issues on my body fixed (foot surgery and eyeball issues), so I will be looking at TRICARE very soon to see what can be done down here. Merida is both a capital and a university city, so there are very good hospitals and doctors here - many who speak English. Thank God for Google Translate on my cell phone - I don't speak Spanish (very little), so this APP is a wonderful thing for everyday use. And UBER is alive and well down here, too.

Dollar for Dollar, I live a very comfortable life here - way better than where I moved from in the USA. I have a housecleaner who comes once a week and a gardener who comes every other week - help that I could never afford in the USA - help I need to have nowadays. My total household expense (rent, utilities, cell, cable, internet, hired help, pool help and supplies) $1,200 USD per month. This figure does NOT count food, clothing, gas. car insurance, car maintenance, or my USA debts (storage, insurance, VSGLI, misc). But when I combine everything into one FULL figure, I easily spend UNDER 3,000 USD - and I live very well in a solid upper-middle-class neighborhood.

WHAT'S ABOUT OR COULD HAPPEN THIS YEAR 2020 - I'M WORKING THIS ISSUE RIGHT NOW

I discharged in APR 2012 and HAVE NEVER USED my Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Changes were made to this GI Bill and it's now called the FOREVER GI BILL.

I fall under many of the changes made to this Post 9/11 GI BILL as it morphed into the FOREVER GI BILL because I DID NOT use the Post 9/11 GI Bill prior to the changes made that have now gone into effect.

THERE IS A NEW USA UNIVERSITY BRANCH LOCATION IN THE CITY OF QUERETARO, MEXICO (pronounced kay-RAY-tar-o) - about 800 miles to the NORTH of where I live in Merida, Mexico.

IT HAS NOT BEEN REGISTERED WITH THE VA WEAMS OR GI BILL TOOL ON THE VA WEBSITE.

I am currently coordinating my time with this USA university, the State Education Department, and will eventually spend time with the VA Office in charge of getting this university BRANCH location registered with the VA so that I can attend this USA school located in Mexico and use my GI Bill.

The school: ARKANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY (also known as ASTATE)
The branch: ASTATE branch campus - QUERETARO
Platform language used in the classroom: ENGLISH
A degree awarded at this location IS VALID FOR BOTH THE USA AND MEXICO - DUALLY ACCEPTED IN BOTH COUNTRIES.
This branch location was opened in the FALL of 2017, so everything is brand new and they are continuing to build out this location in phases.
The 2019-2020 GI BILL MHA is the foreign MHA rate of 1,700 USD for full-time attendance. 3/4 time MHA rate is 1,360 USD. This is the monthly rate.
This is a traditional USA university semester schedule - university location is set up to provide a USA education under traditional USA university programs and platforms.

So, where I'm at on this project is that the university is to submit to the Arkansas Dept of Higher Education all the paperwork required to get this location registered with their State.
Once approved at the state level, then paperwork gets forwarded to the Federal VA system for approval.
Once approved by the VA - and entered into the WEAMS and GI Bill Toolbox - THEN I will apply to attend as a 3/4 time student.
I will NOT need a Mexico Student VISA because I have my Mexican Permanent Resident "GREEN CARD". This means I CAN attend as a 3/4 time student - NOT a full-time student.

By the way, you can get a Permanent Resident Green Card through the Mexican Embassy/CONSULATE that services your region in the USA. You need to prove a certain level of monthly income in order to get a Mexican Green Card. But they DID accept my VA compensation, military retirement, and SSDI as qualifying income requirements. Those combined incomes were WAY MORE than enough for me to qualify for this Mexican Permanent Residency Green Card.

I'll keep you posted on how this branch campus approval process comes along and post updates to this thread every time something happens - good, bad, or anything in-between.

Thank you again for everything ALL of you are doing! Your help and support for me during one of the darkest times of my life - literally saved my life.

Keep the faith - persist - pursue - use your head - and never give up.

Film at 11....

V/R,
nwlivewire

Hello,

I did not know you well, but I am pleased to read of your happiness.

Taxes: "As many already know, in 2018, I was awarded CRDP - backpay to APR/MAY 2012 - 6 full years of backpay. Yes, I was heavily taxed on it (over 30% I think) and expect to file this year for a refund of some of the tax that was taken out before I received all that CRDP backpay. "

Are you discussing CRSC or CRDP? Since CRDP is a restoration of retired pay, it too is taxable. If you are talking about CRSC, it is nontaxable as you know.

Several years ago I created a couple of pages (on another site) on filing amended returns for CRSC cases. I'll pull the URL and post it for your use if you choose.

Good luck,
Ron

Certain amended tax returns.

---->LINK

Ron
(Not a tax professional)

Edited to add:
In June 2018, I replied to one of your posts with,
"I know little to nothing about SSDI. Receipt of CRDP is receiving retired pay."

"CRDP is earned income and as such, is taxed."

Dear Ron:

I am referring to CRDP.

I did not receive my full VA and military retirement pay at the time of medical discharge - there was some error or glitch in the system and it was NOT automatically awarded to me - even though I had the qualifying early age retirement credits and everything else.

Because I was in the middle of returning my house back to the bank and reorganizing my US financial liabilities from the "great recession" era, I waited to apply for CRDP until the last possible moment where the maximum is retro up to six years of back pay. The paperwork went through the system in the nick of time - less than one month was left before the six-year clock timed out.

I have not yet applied for CRSC, though there MIGHT BE a chance that I could be approved for this.

I would love to find a CRSC calculator to see if this is worth applying for.

I have a 70% VA rating that can be connected to a combat-related injury. It is rated as 20% by the ARMY (mental health). The VA medical notes are clear that this issue occurred while in a combat zone.

I have a 30% rating (VA/ARMY) that can be connected to a combat-related injury. (shoulder). I have a statement I wrote that this injury occurred during a combat-related training event prior to departure to Iraq. That statement was approved and then I was admitted to the Wounded Warrior (CB-WTU) program for the treatment of this injury.

This is all the "evidence" I have for these two issues. So not sure how strong my case is for getting these two issues qualified for approval of CRSC.

When I was medically discharged, NONE of my health issues received any sort of combat/combat-related designations on my military medical discharge findings.

Any idea how this could play out? IF approved for CRSC?

I currently pay about 180.00 dollars a month in Federal Tax on my military retirement.

Would there be ANY gain to my monthly income if I were to file and be awarded CRSC?

V/R,
nwlivewire

Hi,

I was about to post that if your retired pay was nontaxable, then your CRDP is nontaxable as well.

CRSC estimate for a current month.

Information necessary for CRSC estimate:
—High three average base pay OR the gross retired pay on DFAS RAS (which is preferred)
—DoD disability percentage
—Active duty years or active duty equivalent years
—VA compensation percentage; amount; and dependents (category, number, and ages of children)
—Approved CRSC percentage
—Other type military retirement eligibility info

Please note that CRDP restores all waived/offset retired pay not to exceed the longevity portion of retired pay in CH 61 cases.
CRSC replaces only the approved by service combat related disabilities. In other words if some of the VA offset is for non-combat disabilities, it is quite likely you would lose money by accepting CRSC.

The most you would gain based on the 180 tax amount is...$180.
Ron

DFAS.

"TDRL/PDRL Exemption: If you retired under a disability law (Temporary Disability Retirement List or Permanent Disability Retirement List), your retired pay will be fully non-taxable if your pay is calculated based upon your military (not VA) disability percentage and you meet one of the following conditions:
  • You were in the military or under a contractual obligation to join the military on September 24, 1975, or
  • Your military disability rating is combat-related
The welcome letter you received from DFAS when you first retired indicates whether your pay is computed using your military percentage of disability or your years of service."

"Concurrent Retirement Disability Payments (CRDP): CRDP is a restoration of your retired pay, not a separate entitlement. Therefore, if your retired pay is taxable so is any CRDP payments you receive. If your retired pay is non-taxable, your CRDP is also non-taxable. "

Ron

Dear Ron:

I just went to MYPAY but the system is down for maintenance.

Will try tomorrow so I can get exact figures.

Hi,

Sounds good...

Ron