Oconus treatment Japan

USNAS

Registered Member
Hi I have a question? So I have been struggling with a medical issue for two years and it has been to the point in my career and life I can’t even function. The MTF medical treatment facility here is only equipped to handle acute matters. The docs here don’t know what they are doing and keep slapping more meds on me. Can I refuse further medical treatment with these docs and meds and request to be sent to the states for specialized treatment at a actual military hospital or better yet request a MEB since this is a long term condition? Plus my unit here doesn’t want to lose me so they told the docs here to try and treat me more. I just refuse to be put on anymore meds that mess with my health, heart, mental ability...etc.

Don't tell me your in sasebo.. the mtf there was horrible as well.

Navycop: I am actually in Iwakuni, but definitely getting no help with my situation over here.

@USNAS ,
Sorry to hear of your problems. Here are my thoughts:
The MTF medical treatment facility here is only equipped to handle acute matters. The docs here don’t know what they are doing and keep slapping more meds on me. Can I refuse further medical treatment with these docs and meds and request to be sent to the states for specialized treatment at a actual military hospital or better yet request a MEB since this is a long term condition?

Normally, sure, you can refuse treatment. However, this may well come back to "bite you," and having that notation in your records is probably not a good thing.

You can request anything, but, no reason to think you have anything definitive to force a move for treatment. Seems like a longer procedural fight to get this result. Maybe getting a PCM to sign off on referrals that can't be met where you are would be the first step.

Plus my unit here doesn’t want to lose me so they told the docs here to try and treat me more.

What is your "big picture" goal? Do you want to be found unfit? Does your condition significantly interfere with duty performance?

I just refuse to be put on anymore meds that mess with my health, heart, mental ability...etc.

You don't want a notation in your records that you "refuse" treatment. However, the denial of benefits and compensation for refusal has to be based on "unreasonable" refusal of treatment. This normally requires at least a written notification to you that any refusal is unreasonable and that you have an opportunity to comply with such treatment.

@USNAS ,
Sorry to hear of your problems. Here are my thoughts:

Normally, sure, you can refuse treatment. However, this may well come back to "bite you," and having that notation in your records is probably not a good thing.

You can request anything, but, no reason to think you have anything definitive to force a move for treatment. Seems like a longer procedural fight to get this result. Maybe getting a PCM to sign off on referrals that can't be met where you are would be the first step.

What is your "big picture" goal? Do you want to be found unfit? Does your condition significantly interfere with duty performance?

You don't want a notation in your records that you "refuse" treatment. However, the denial of benefits and compensation for refusal has to be based on "unreasonable" refusal of treatment. This normally requires at least a written notification to you that any refusal is unreasonable and that you have an opportunity to comply with such treatment.
@Jason Perry

Thank you for you reply! Right now with my situation I am not capable of functioning with work. This is my last year in the military as well as my last assignment, however I have been struggling to make it by. The docs here are reviewing my issues, my command is still full aware. Right now my case is being reviewed and I hope to be sent home for treatment. My biggest issue is this, since I know I have a few major permanent disabilities I want to get the most out of the military while I am still in. I would like to get a full review and treatment in the U.S and possibly an MEB that they could see my issues and their severity. I would hate to get out with disabilities that impact my life without anything from the military in return is all. Is it wrong to request treatment in the U.S or even an MEB since the military is struggling to treat me here and I am missing work 3-4 days a week for 2months now. My condition isn't getting better and the medications they have me on here make me dizzy, loss of concentration, dizzy and so on. I would just prefer not to disclose my medical issues on here. I am just really seeking help as I know the military looks at the mission status not the individual. Thanks.