OER while in MEB

Rhino5

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Okay, I have a question.
I'm an Officer and I'm being medically seperated/retired (still fighting which one) and the Command wants to do a change of rater OER on me and the other O4s to help the Commander build his Senior Rater Profile.

As a guy that is 100% VA disabled what do you think I should put in the future jobs and developmental jobs? In their wisdom, the Army will not let me sign the form unless I put something in there. I've been trying to come up with something without sounding like a smartass.

Battalion/Brigade Liaison Officer, Division EO OIC, I have absolutely no idea. This stuff always makes me laugh. "Hey moron, I need to use you for MY Senior Rater Profile so hand jam this thing and by the way, no one is getting Above Center Mass!!!!"

Heh. Yeah, I can't remember the last time my rater actually wrote my OER. And they wonder why the system is broken.
I'm actually aiming for a Below Center of Mass since I haven't been able to preform my MOS or Staff work for the last year.

I think only one time I ever witnessd an NCOER or OER being written by the rater/senior rater. Just how it goes apparently. If you are getting out then why not take the below Center of Mass you know? You'll still get your MSM for service and then bounce and move on in life.

Yes you need to do this. I to am officer and had to do an OER. Just put whatever you want in it...like you said it doesn't matter. For me, I will have to do another when I go because it will be over 90 days from the last one.

I put in civilian items for future developmental and operational assignments.
Developmental: physical therapy, vocational therapy, behavioral health therapy
Operational: publication proofer, gardener, retired

Since I talked with vocational therapy and they didn't have many suggestions on fields that meshed with my shotgun blast of disabilities.

I'd fill it out with the normal stuff according to the progressions in the DA PAM. From a technical standpoint, unless you have finished the entire process the MEB has found you unfit, but the IPEB/PDA hasn't adjudicated that finding yet. At some point you may be asked for your final OERs by an employer and it would work out better if it just looks like a normal OER with a COM block.

Just a reminder, if your rating period is less than 12 months from the start day of transition leave, an evaluation is optional. AR 623-3, para 3-2g. "Retirement Evalution"....so it is optional unless the Soldier request one. Your case might be different than mine, but I just finaled out last week without an evaluation after educating my SQDN CDR and CSM on this subject.

Last edited: