Opinions/need help

canton44

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Can a soldier change narsum doctors? Is this possible? I was forwarded to Neurology with bulging discs/l5-s1/DDD/Lumbago etc...The main concern is that I am unhappy with the doctors comments and would like to seek a second opinion, even if it is in the same department, just a different doctor. I did not have any treatment at the time other than Injections/pain meds. The doctor then advised PT as a course of action which has helped. I am active duty and would like to be found fit for duty however I do not want to go back to the same neurologist. My PCM is trying to forward me back to the same doctor, I was also told that my MEB was halted/stopped pending optimum treatment, which I am confused about... Can you please describe a good plan of action and is there anything that I can do?

Optimum Treatment Benefit: to briefly describe it, its when all means of medical treatments/procedures have been exhausted that could possibly help/fix you prior to an MEB.

Being part of the great Tricare healthcare System, you are entitled to a second opinion when it comes to doctors, it could very well be you don't feel comfortable w/ the doc or don't like the course of action that has been presented to you.

sounds like you got a lot going on w/ your spine and your wanting to stay in? how bad is your back? and can you get by without having to seek medical attention moderately?

how much years of active duty service do you have?

godspeed

does this mean that I have to go back to the neuro if I feel like I can return to duty, I was placed on a permanent profile then it was changed to a temporary permanent profile...mainly because I had not had treatment, etc...I have been told that I need time to heal, etc...I feel like I have healed and want to return to duty however I am being told that the only person that is able to do this is Neuro...Is this true? And if so, can I request a different doctor...Confused....

Just talk to your Primary Care and tell him you want to see another doctor for a 2nd opinion and he should put in a referall to see another doctor. Best bet is to search your local area for Neuros and find one your area that has good reviews and the likes and then look to see if they accept Tricare. If they do tell your primary care that you want to go to this clinic or see this doctor and as long as they are in the system should go through.

My primary care was pretty nice about the process when I requested to get a referal to go to a different clinic in my area for a 2nd opinion before my 2nd back surgery.

Know you said you have not had any surgeries but I know in my area none of Neuro's will see you within a year after a surgery with another Neuro; so just something to keep in mind.

Talk to the patient advocate; after dealing with my spine problems for three years there are certain doctors that I refuse to see. Patient advocacey has always been able to get me scheduled with someone else,