Opinions please! 10% w/ severance & VA, or FPEB

Vet09

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have a question, if I accept my 10% permanent retirement with severance. Does this affect my current Va rating? Also if I medical proof that my ability to work is SEVERY impaired as per my TDRL review memo states, can I gonahead an work with the VA instead of having to do an FPEB? Having military base access and tricare doesn’t donmuch for menhere in PR. So DOD wouldn’t really matter much. Opinions please. Also i am 6yrs, 7mos in service, what would severance be? I am just thinking this may help me a lot more given the fact that my sudden separation has out me in a huge financial burden. I would be willing to sacrifice 50% DOD if it means getting out of debt and just paying back the Va. My FPEB is the first wk of DEC.

I have a question, if I accept my 10% permanent retirement with severance. Does this affect my current Va rating? Also if I medical proof that my ability to work is SEVERY impaired as per my TDRL review memo states, can I gonahead an work with the VA instead of having to do an FPEB? Having military base access and tricare doesn’t donmuch for menhere in PR. So DOD wouldn’t really matter much. Opinions please. Also i am 6yrs, 7mos in service, what would severance be? I am just thinking this may help me a lot more given the fact that my sudden separation has out me in a huge financial burden. I would be willing to sacrifice 50% DOD if it means getting out of debt and just paying back the Va. My FPEB is the first wk of DEC.
I am also very sorry about the grammar but I was on the go and by the time I could edit it was too late!

Someone else will probably provide a more complete set of answers.

1. Disability severance pay is a one-time lump sum payment. The amount equals 2 months of basic pay for each year of service which includes active service and inactive duty points, but the total service years cannot exceed 19 years. Additionally, the minimum number of years required for computation purposes is six years for a disability incurred in the line of duty in a combat zone, or 3 years in the case of any other member. Prior to January 28, 2008, a maximum of 12 years and minimum of three years creditable service was used.

Disability Separation Pay: The VA is required by law to withhold disability compensation payments for service members who received a disability severance payment when they separated from the military (Chapter 61), if the VA disability compensation is for the same disability. This is to prevent a veteran from receiving duplicate benefits.
Exception: The VA will not deduct compensation pay if the military disability severance pay was received for disabilities incurred in line of duty in a combat zone or incurred during performance of duty in combat-related operations as designated by the Department of Defense (DoD). (Note: this must be a Line of Duty designation by the DoD to be waiverable – this is related to the CRSC rating mentioned above). This exception applies to members who were separated from the Armed Forces under Chapter 61 of title 10, United States Code, on or after January 28, 2008.
3. Opinion: The Tricare benefit associated with retirement is valuable. Recommend you give your options careful consideration when viewing retirement vs. separation.

Ron

Someone else will probably provide a more complete set of answers.

1. Disability severance pay is a one-time lump sum payment. The amount equals 2 months of basic pay for each year of service which includes active service and inactive duty points, but the total service years cannot exceed 19 years. Additionally, the minimum number of years required for computation purposes is six years for a disability incurred in the line of duty in a combat zone, or 3 years in the case of any other member. Prior to January 28, 2008, a maximum of 12 years and minimum of three years creditable service was used.

Disability Separation Pay: The VA is required by law to withhold disability compensation payments for service members who received a disability severance payment when they separated from the military (Chapter 61), if the VA disability compensation is for the same disability. This is to prevent a veteran from receiving duplicate benefits.
Exception: The VA will not deduct compensation pay if the military disability severance pay was received for disabilities incurred in line of duty in a combat zone or incurred during performance of duty in combat-related operations as designated by the Department of Defense (DoD). (Note: this must be a Line of Duty designation by the DoD to be waiverable – this is related to the CRSC rating mentioned above). This exception applies to members who were separated from the Armed Forces under Chapter 61 of title 10, United States Code, on or after January 28, 2008.
3. Opinion: The Tricare benefit associated with retirement is valuable. Recommend you give your options careful consideration when viewing retirement vs. separation.

Ron
Thank you for your answer! My tricare is very limited here, I have to pay out of pocket and then fight them to reinburse me. I have not been usung it because here in PR it is considered overseas. I have alternate insurance for this same reason.

I still think its worth fighting for but I understand the stress of fighting can be too much at times and people want to move on with their lives.