Outcomes for FAI with and without laberal tears?

Already have. I’m going on my fourth hip surgery. This January I just had labral reconstruction and cadaver put in. They said it’ll keep tearing. My fai was so bad along with my arthritis that they can’t shave off anymore bone without making it unstable thus making it tear over and over. Unfortunately every surgeon I’ve been to says I need a hip replacement but won’t do it on someone my age. So the cadaver is supposed to help with pain. But that’s bs. It hurts worse everyday.
Boston Children’s Hospital and Hospital for Special Surgery will do total hip replacements on patients as young as teenagers. BCH does surgery on patients up until age 35, even though it’s called “children’s hospital”. Both of them take Tricare. After my terminal leave is over I am getting my surgery at Hospital for Special Surgery. My surgeon does total hip replacements on teens. Age is not a factor for him, he is focused on improving quality of life and decreasing pain. Don’t listen to military doctors who are not up to date on the latest ortho research. I need surgeries on my hips, femurs, and tibias bilaterally and I would only trust doctors at those 2 hospitals. After everything I went through in the military with my leg injuries I deserve only the best surgeon, the same for you!

Boston Children’s Hospital and Hospital for Special Surgery will do total hip replacements on patients as young as teenagers. BCH does surgery on patients up until age 35, even though it’s called “children’s hospital”. Both of them take Tricare. After my terminal leave is over I am getting my surgery at Hospital for Special Surgery. My surgeon does total hip replacements on teens. Age is not a factor for him, he is focused on improving quality of life and decreasing pain. Don’t listen to military doctors who are not up to date on the latest ortho research. I need surgeries on my hips, femurs, and tibias bilaterally and I would only trust doctors at those 2 hospitals. After everything I went through in the military with my leg injuries I deserve only the best surgeon, the same for you!
It’s not even military unfortunately :( it was civilian doctors. A few in colorado and now I’m in Florida. They said no too… I’m at a total loss. I told them it’s affecting my quality of life and no one listens: I’m in the Sarasota area

Could you give me the name of a good doctor? I’d be willing to travel for good care

Could you give me the name of a good doctor? I’d be willing to travel for good care
I am having surgery with Dr. Buly at Hospital for Special Surgery.

I was referred to him by Dr. Sink, who is considered one of the best hip surgeons in the world.

You will have to send his (Dr. Sink’s) office all your imaging before he will take an appointment with you, he only does PAO’s, he does not do THR’s but Dr. Buly does.

I am not sure what kind of imaging Dr. Buly requires before he sees you, his policy may or may not be the same as Dr. Sink.

I have also contacted Dr. Fragomen at HSS who kindly looked at all my imaging and gave me his opinion, all for free of charge, which was very nice of him.

Dr. Rozbruch is also considered one of the best hip and femur surgeons in the world, from what I understand he is cash only; however I have not confirmed that with his office. I do know someone that paid $30,000 out of pocket to have hip surgery with him.

Those are all at Hospital for Special Surgery.

Two other top surgeons are Dr. Kim at Boston Children’s Hospital and Dr. Novais at BCH. The waiting list is very long to see them, they are that good.

Those are the only surgeons I would ever allow to touch my body, I have complex injuries which will likely take 4-6 surgeries to fix.

All those surgeons specialize in patients who have had multiple scopes , labrum repairs, and other surgeries that did not work.

Also- if you need a THR, Dr. Buly uses the newest technology where only the liner of your hip will need to be replaced, not the whole joint. So it could potentially last 40 years instead of the typical 15 or 20.

Last edited:
I got 30% for my bilateral FAI and labrum tears and got medically retired.

Referred conditions: left hip pain, right hip pain

DOD ratings

Left hip impingement 10%
Left hip strain - limitation of extension 10%
Left hip strain - limitation of flexion 0%
Right hip impingement 10%
Right hip strain - limitation of extension 10%
Right hip strain - limitation of flexion 0%

Total = 30%
What was your ROM?

So i have been referred to PEB for R Hip FAI, R Hip Pain and R Hip Acetabular labral tear, back story is i already had surgery to repair the same issue back in 2019 and would need it again but have already had two limdu periods to have surgery again, that being said at this point id rather be found unfit and move on because this keeps happening. Any one think they wont find me unfit? I'm worried about the being found fit for duty and then just being pushed out administratively for not being deployable over 12 months time (16years AD USMC)

Also just curious if anyone with this type of issue has seen anything wrong with their SI joints, my ortho did imaging and bot my SI joints are showing the below issues:

1. Mild to moderate degenerative changes along the superior aspects of the right and left SI joints.
2. Left sacroiliitis with partial ankylosis along the anterior aspect of the inferior left SI joint. This involves a segment measuring 18 mm cephalocaudad

I'm just curious if they are separate or maybe related, it took them 8 years of going back and forth to medical the first time to figure out i had the R Hip Issues.

Y
So i have been referred to PEB for R Hip FAI, R Hip Pain and R Hip Acetabular labral tear, back story is i already had surgery to repair the same issue back in 2019 and would need it again but have already had two limdu periods to have surgery again, that being said at this point id rather be found unfit and move on because this keeps happening. Any one think they wont find me unfit? I'm worried about the being found fit for duty and then just being pushed out administratively for not being deployable over 12 months time (16years AD USMC)

Also just curious if anyone with this type of issue has seen anything wrong with their SI joints, my ortho did imaging and bot my SI joints are showing the below issues:

1. Mild to moderate degenerative changes along the superior aspects of the right and left SI joints.
2. Left sacroiliitis with partial ankylosis along the anterior aspect of the inferior left SI joint. This involves a segment measuring 18 mm cephalocaudad

I'm just curious if they are separate or maybe related, it took them 8 years of going back and forth to medical the first time to figure out i had the R Hip Issues.
Yes diagnostic hip injections can differentiate whether the pain is due to the back or hip

Steroid injections relieve pain = pain is coming from inside hip joint

Steroid injections do not relieve pain = pain likely not coming from inside hip joint

Hi - I know this is super late but I am currently going through the med-board process, and I have the exact same injuries as you in my right hip (Pain, Labral Tear and Impingement). I wanted to see what your final ratings ended up being? Also, when you got the diagnosis of ankylosis, what exam was done to get those results? Was it a MRI, X-Ray or CT?

I can't help with the ratings but I had this same thing ( had surgery ) during college football, then went on for 10 + years with 3rd SFG. My advice, just do what you can to manage pain with lifestyle adjustments. I wish I could tell you a rating but honestly, it was at the bottom of my list ( never thought about claiming anything associated with it) when I wad leaving the military but it effects me everyday

If you want to be found fit you can. If you have had enough ( can't blame that choice) then tap out... all the best