Over 20 TIS MEB

jet351

Registered Member
Good afternoon,

This forum has been a tremendous find for me and a real treasure trove of information. I am an active duty CW4 in the U.S. Army with over 20 years of TIS. I underwent a three-level ACDF surgery in August this year, and am preparing to have a three level sacrolumbar dissection and fusion in December/January. These procedures follow nearly ten years of PT, steroid injections, and RFA treatments. My PCM, Nurse Case Manager, and provider team have all been phenomenal. My PCM just informed me that I will be submitted for an MEB following my return from this next convalescent leave period (around March 2021). I know that I will automatically receive retirement simply because of my TIS, but I am curious as to why my PCM would choose this COA and tell me it is a win/win for me. From what I understand of the transition process nowadays, the VA appointments are fully integrated in a normal separation. Does anyone have experience with this type of situation and can explain the nuances for me? Also, how does get a disability rating from the Army benefit me for retirement? Thanks in advance for your advice and I appreciate the work and time everyone puts into this resource.

Jason

Good Afternoon! By going through IDES you are getting all of your medical checked out by the VA and all during this time you are getting paid, accruing leave and increasing your active duty retirement. That is one bonus and its a huge one. If rated DOD 30% or more I think you won't have to pay the annual fee for Tricare since you will be on a disability retirement too. The fee is new for 2021 for Tricare Prime for retirees and their family. You get out your VA% is set too so no need to do that! Also, if over 50% rated by VA you get CRDP. Lastly if your DOD rating is higher than your longevity for retirement you get the HIGHER amount! So if 20 years = 50% and your DOD disability rating is 70% then you get 70% of your base pay for life! Since you have 20 years you have nothing to lose by going through the process and everything to gain:)

Good Afternoon! By going through IDES you are getting all of your medical checked out by the VA and all during this time you are getting paid, accruing leave and increasing your active duty retirement. That is one bonus and its a huge one. If rated DOD 30% or more I think you won't have to pay the annual fee for Tricare since you will be on a disability retirement too. The fee is new for 2021 for Tricare Prime for retirees and their family. You get out your VA% is set too so no need to do that! Also, if over 50% rated by VA you get CRDP. Lastly if your DOD rating is higher than your longevity for retirement you get the HIGHER amount! So if 20 years = 50% and your DOD disability rating is 70% then you get 70% of your base pay for life! Since you have 20 years you have nothing to lose by going through the process and everything to gain:)
Provis, thanks so much for the response. That does indeed sound like great news. Although my spine is pretty jacked up and I will have multi-level fusions of my cervical and lumbar spine I’m not sure how disabling they’ll consider it to be. I’ve no doubt it will make me unfit just because I’m non-deployable anymore since I can’t wear helmet and body armor or carry more than about 20 pounds. I’ve read a lot of other peoples experiences in here and it seems that the DoD doesn’t rate spine issues that well unless you’re crippled up like Stephen Hawking.

Hello @jet351

Re: " I am an active duty CW4 in the U.S. Army with over 20 years of TIS. "

I infer you qualify for a regular retirement.

The following was offered: "So if 20 years = 50% and your DOD disability rating is 70% then you get 70% of your base pay for life! Since you have 20 years you have nothing to lose by going through the process and everything to gain."

There are some restrictions involved.

1. The scenario that was cited would result in retired pay : high three average base pay x 70% = disability retired pay
2. The disability retired pay would be reduced (waived) by the amount of VA compensation. Sometimes there is residual retired pay the retiree keeps.
3. Since this case (scenario) includes 20 years AD and a VA rating likely at 50% or more (for CRDP qualification), the reduction/waiver shown at item 2 would be restored via CRDP not to exceed the longevity portion of retired pay. Assuming 20 yrs AD x 2.5% = 50% longevity multiplier.
4. 50% multiplier x average high three base pay = longevity portion of retired pay and maximum CRDP
5. The combination of residual retired pay (item 2) plus CRDP cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.

Although accurate, this statement is somewhat misleading: "...your DOD disability rating is 70% then you get 70% of your base pay for life!"
Comment: You don't get to keep it. It is reduced per item 2. It is restored per item 4. And...the combination of residual retired pay plus CRDP cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay. Basically, you can look forward to an amount from DFAS that equals the longevity portion and the VA will pay your VA compensation.

Ron

cc: @Provis

Hello @jet351

The following was offered: "So if 20 years = 50% and your DOD disability rating is 70% then you get 70% of your base pay for life! Since you have 20 years you have nothing to lose by going through the process and everything to gain."

1. The scenario that was cited would result in retired pay : high three average base pay x 70% = disability retired pay
2. The disability retired pay would be reduced (waived) by the amount of VA compensation. Sometimes there is residual retired pay the retiree keeps.
3. Since this case (scenario) includes 20 years AD and a VA rating likely at 50% or more (for CRDP qualification), the reduction/waiver shown at item 2 would be restored via CRDP not to exceed the longevity portion of retired pay. Assuming 20 yrs AD x 2.5% = 50% longevity multiplier.
4. 50% multiplier x average high three base pay = longevity portion of retired pay and maximum CRDP
5. The combination of residual retired pay (item 2) plus CRDP cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.

Although accurate, this statement is somewhat misleading: "...your DOD disability rating is 70% then you get 70% of your base pay for life!"
Comment: You don't get to keep it. It is reduced per item 2. It is restored per item 4. And...the combination of residual retired pay plus CRDP cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay. Basically, you can look forward to an amount from DFAS that equals the longevity portion and the VA will pay your VA compensation.

Ron

Glad you clarified! That's a lot of information to digest LOL!

Hello @jet351

Ron

RonG,

Wow! That is an incredible amount of information thank you so much. It's definitely quite overwhelming for sure. It would seem at a minimum it will benefit me by not having to pay the Tricare annual enrollment fees so that is bonus. I appreciate everything that y'all are doing here to keep everyone informed, and I will make sure to update this thread as I proceed through the MEB so maybe it will help someone else.

Jason