P3 since FEB11 Requested MEB from Command but...

lboneal

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have been on a P3 profile since Feb11. I am having Disc replacement surgery Feb15. On 07FEB12 I requested my command begin a MEB. However, I am also on Assignment Instructions w/ report date of June.

1. Will the MEB prevent or postpone my orders?

2. Will I have to follow through w/ the orders and complete MEB at gaining unit?

3 What are my options?

4. Any recommendations?

Based on the amount of time you stated (1 year), DoDI 1332.38 states:

E3.P2.1. Criteria for Referral.

Service members on active duty or in the Ready Reserve shall be eligible for referral into the DES when the member:

E3.P2.1.1. Has a medical condition that is cause for referral into the DES as established by enclosure 4 of this Instruction or by the respective Service’s supplemental medical standards, and the member has received optimal medical treatment benefits; or

E3.P2.1.2. Will be unable to return to full military duty within one year of diagnosis of the medical condition; or

E3.P2.1.3. Was previously determined unfit, continued in a permanent limited duty status,and the period of continuation has expired; and

E3.P2.1.4. Is not disqualified under section E3.P2.4. of Part 2.

I should speculate that you will be required to process through the IDES. In addition, regarding your PCS orders, you will probably be put on Medical Hold until your are either found fit for duty or processed through the IDES.

On the other hand, you have surgery scheduled and the Army is probably trying to do what they can to make you fit for duty or make you well enough to be able to function once medically separated/retired.

For question number 4, I recommend you ask your CoC to determine what your medical unit is trying to do in your situation because since you are now at the one year point, the regulation clearly states what is supposed to happen.

Don't know about your orders, but i had two replacement disks put in my cervical spine. You can expect at least 30 days of convalescent leave afterwards. As long as your surgery goes well, i would think that you would be able to stay in if you want. I'm an 11B and didn't have problems road marching ect. after con leave. My problem was that i had also herniated a couple of disks in my lumbar spine; and this year, despite extremely limited duties somehow managed to get two extrusions in my thoracic spine.

Can't guarantee you any results, but I felt a helluva lot better immediately after my surgery, and was walking on the beach the next day.