C&P exams December 2012
NARSUM review January 24, 2013

Not meeting retention standards:
Asthma
Dyspnea requiring Oxygen

Legal suggested further work-up/IMA
IMA requested January 29, 2013
MEB put on hold
February 12, 2013 sent to Fort Sam Houston BAMC for medical workup (5 weeks!)
Confirmed problems, ruled out some, but no firm diagnosis, suspect a form of chronic pneumonitis,
oxygen desaturations confirmed multiple times.
March 16 return to WTU Missouri
March 20, IMA
March 22 IMA attached to NARSUM
March 27 signed NARSUM
The IMA clearly defined that there was more than one respiratory condition that did not meet retention standards, and that dyspnea requiring oxygen was as clear as the diagnosis could be at this point, but that some process was causing significant desaturation with exertion. He mentioned the possible pneumonitis, but stated it would be very difficult to figure out an exact diagnosis/ I have an LOD for burn pits/dust/land mines.

I thought I would post for other with respiratory conditions.
I was pretty happy with the IMA. However, does the lack of a clear diagnosis hurt me with the board or VA?

Here's an update.
Timeline:
August 16, 2012 medevac out of Afghanistan to Fort Leonard Wood WTU
MEB initiated October 29, 2012
C&P exams December 2012
NARSUM review January 24, 2013
Not meeting retention standards:
Asthma
Dyspnea requiring Oxygen
Legal suggested further work-up/IMA
IMA requested January 29, 2013
MEB put on hold
February 12, 2013 sent to Fort Sam Houston BAMC for medical workup (5 weeks!)
Confirmed problems, ruled out some, but no firm diagnosis, suspect a form of chronic pneumonitis,
oxygen desaturations confirmed multiple times.
March 16 return to WTU Missouri
March 20, IMA
March 22 IMA attached to NARSUM
March 27 signed NARSUM
The IMA clearly defined that there was more than one respiratory condition that did not meet retention standards, and that dyspnea requiring oxygen was as clear as the diagnosis could be at this point, but that some process was causing significant desaturation with exertion. He mentioned the possible pneumonitis, but stated it would be very difficult to figure out an exact diagnosis/ I have an LOD for burn pits/dust/land mines.
I thought I would post for other with respiratory conditions.
I was pretty happy with the IMA. However, does the lack of a clear diagnosis hurt me with the board or VA?

In my opinion, would it may be dependant upon the availability of any supporting objective medical documentation.

The MEB (Physician) will review all of the medical and nonmedical evidence within the Armed Forces Health Longitudinal Technology Application (AHLTA) electronic medical record system. The DoVA D-RAS should thoroughly review your DoVA C-file and all available medical (military and civilian)documentation.

Moreover, a DoVA rating is still possible even without a confirmed medical diagnosis. If required, the DoVA D-RAS could use the "Analogous ratings" criteria annotated within the VASRD as follows:

§ 4.20 Analogous ratings.
When an unlisted condition is encountered it will be permissible to rate under a closely related disease or injury in which not only the functions affected, but the anatomical localization and symptomatology are closely analogous. Conjectural analogies will be avoided, as will the use of analogous ratings for conditions of doubtful diagnosis, or for those not fully supported by clinical and laboratory findings. Nor will ratings assigned to organic diseases and injuries be assigned by analogy to conditions of functional origin.

Thus, possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer.

Best Wishes!

Who did you see down at BAMC, if you don't mind me asking? And what is an LOD? Does the doctor believe it was caused from the pits /exposures? Good luck to you!

Gruntswife0018 - I will pm you that info. Thanks