Past boards looking at boards.law.af.mil

Elwayb13

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I've recently been informed that I will be facing a I-RILO and most certainly a MEB fo follow. So I've spent weeks reading this forum and reading ever AFI and all regulations I could find. I've called and talked to Mr. Perry who was very helpful and I highly recommend. That being said someone posted a site for past boards. I think I've read over three to four hundred cases in the last two weeks. I am in shock at the way they find things to be not unfitting. There seems to be a huge impact on commanders statements. My issue with that is I rarely see my commander and report to my direct supervisor. My commander knows almost nothing about my medical issues or the way they impact my ability to do my job. There also is a huge disparity between very similar cases. I understand no case is the same however the boards in my humble opinion seem to be very inconsistent. This worries me going forward as I don't have a great relationship with my commander and have absolutely no confidence in these boards after reading so many cases. I would love to hear from those who have the same concerns and what the outcome was. Last question why has Congress not been involved with such huge discrepancies seen. Thanks

Elwayb13, I feel the same way. I am currently just entering the IPEB phase and roughly two weeks into the 4 to 8 week wait to find out if fit/unfit and the DOD and VA rating. PEBLO (Air Force) indicates only 2% come back as fit, so that is encouraging. The angst is that is the referred condition DVT left leg) was a rated 10% VACP that I did on my own anticipating the future IDES. I have a rated 70% VACP in 2016 (PE 60%, DVT left leg 10%, DVT right leg 10% and tinnitus 10%). The In service LOD that the Medical group provided to the MEB was a single DVT left leg and according to the PEBLO that is all that can be rated during the IPEB? I hope that the verbiage in the NARSUM and the NGB SG letter will allow the PE of 60% to be included as the referred condition. Any bureaucratic system has reason for pause and I am hoping for a 60% DOD rating and a 80% VACP rating out of the IPEB because a couple of other conditions were added during the MEB that would apply to the VACP. I will appeal to the FPEB if required. Best of luck to you and just play the game and educate yourself. If needed then Mr. Perry is always an option.

I've recently been informed that I will be facing a I-RILO and most certainly a MEB fo follow. So I've spent weeks reading this forum and reading ever AFI and all regulations I could find. I've called and talked to Mr. Perry who was very helpful and I highly recommend. That being said someone posted a site for past boards. I think I've read over three to four hundred cases in the last two weeks. I am in shock at the way they find things to be not unfitting. There seems to be a huge impact on commanders statements. My issue with that is I rarely see my commander and report to my direct supervisor. My commander knows almost nothing about my medical issues or the way they impact my ability to do my job. There also is a huge disparity between very similar cases. I understand no case is the same however the boards in my humble opinion seem to be very inconsistent. This worries me going forward as I don't have a great relationship with my commander and have absolutely no confidence in these boards after reading so many cases. I would love to hear from those who have the same concerns and what the outcome was. Last question why has Congress not been involved with such huge discrepancies seen. Thanks

How's it going man. I crawled this forum for months to gain as much anecdotal knowledge as possible once I found out I would be heading towards a MEB. I agree that the commander's statement has significant impact on findings. After seeing "commander's statement" as a recurring theme in posts I knew i wasn't going to leave that piece to chance. Soooooo I wrote the commander's statement myself and just had him sign it. I did that because my battalion commander barely knew my name and my company commander just took over that month... I spent a couple days writing and rewriting it and just gave it to hime to sign. That is my advice on that one. I know it made an impact because the medical evaluation board even cited the commander's statement in support of their findings! I've been in the system for about 150 days so if I can be of any help, feel free to reach out.

Last edited:
How's it going man. I crawled this forum for months to gain as much anecdotal knowledge as possible once I found out I would be heading towards a MEB. I agree that the commander's statement has significant impact on findings. After seeing "commander's statement" as a recurring theme in posts I knew i wasn't going to leave that piece to chance. Soooooo I wrote the commander's statement myself and just had him sign it. I did that because my battalion commander barely knew my name and my company commander just took over that month... I spent a couple days writing and rewriting it and just gave it to hime to sign. That is my advice on that one. I know it made an impact because the medical evaluation board even cited the commander's statement in support of their findings! i've been in the system for about 150 days so if i can be of any help, feel free to reach out.
Thanks for the reply! My fear is me and my commander have a long past way before he was the commander. The likelihood of him just signing off on what I write is slim to none. I was able to have my Immediate supervisor and Flight commander to write statements but not sure if I can submit those or not? Let me know if you get any updates and best of luck!!

Thanks for the reply! My fear is me and my commander have a long past way before he was the commander. The likelihood of him just signing off on what I write is slim to none. I was able to have my Immediate supervisor and Flight commander to write statements but not sure if I can submit those or not? Let me know if you get any updates and best of luck!!

My understanding is that your direct supervisor/commander would be the one with relevant information on your ability to do or not do your job. Their signature on the commander statement should suffice.

My understanding is that your direct supervisor/commander would be the one with relevant information on your ability to do or not do your job. Their signature on the commander statement should suffice.
So I can have my direct supervisor sign the commanders statement?

No, your supervisor can not sign for the commander. However, your direct supervisor can send the letter to the the commander via the chain for his/her signature. This is done frequently for many things using an eSSS.

Commander's letters are only one part of the equation. The MEB phase is totally a medical decision. The PEB is a personnel decision. The commander's letter is part of the PEB process.

Most everyone hates the uncertainty - the no knowing. The military beat knowing into our heads. But most of the time the process works. There are many checks and balances. There are numerous ways to redress grievances with the process.

Best wishes as you progress through a very slow process.

No, your supervisor can not sign for the commander. However, your direct supervisor can send the letter to the the commander via the chain for his/her signature. This is done frequently for many things using an eSSS.

Commander's letters are only one part of the equation. The MEB phase is totally a medical decision. The PEB is a personnel decision. The commander's letter is part of the PEB process.

Most everyone hates the uncertainty - the no knowing. The military beat knowing into our heads. But most of the time the process works. There are many checks and balances. There are numerous ways to redress grievances with the process.

Best wishes as you progress through a very slow process.
Thank you so much for the advice and words of encouragement. I am truly grateful for those who take the time to help follow vets and this forum as a whole. I will speak to my direct supervisor tomorrow.

Thank you so much for the advice and words of encouragement. I am truly grateful for those who take the time to help follow vets and this forum as a whole. I will speak to my direct supervisor tomorrow.

Elwayb13, I agree with chaplaincharlie in that Staff workers provide the information and most of the time write the documents for the Commander. If you do not have a good relationship with the Commander, then try to pick the trusted agent that accomplishes the staff work to present the letter for review and signature. I accomplished the "staff" work and scheduled a meeting with the Commander (Brig Gen) and discussed the details with him until he was comfortable with the information. I suggested he call the Medical Commander to get their assessment and he did. The information aligned with the assessment from the Med Group so all was well. I am not saying to game the system, all I am saying is to ensure that the correct information is provided and included. At this point, you have to look out for your best interest.

Last question why has Congress not been involved with such huge discrepancies seen. Thanks

Congress has actually been very involved. It takes an inquiry by a constituent such as yourself to ensure that Congress remains involved.

The Congress Member in my district has made several visits to my place of employment with many questions as of late, in particular to why the AF has been interpreting DoD Instruction differently that how the Army and Navy do.

Congress has actually been very involved. It takes an inquiry by a constituent such as yourself to ensure that Congress remains involved.

The Congress Member in my district has made several visits to my place of employment with many questions as of late, in particular to why the AF has been interpreting DoD Instruction differently that how the Army and Navy do.
That's great news! What process did you do? Congressional inquiry?

Elwayb13, I agree with chaplaincharlie in that Staff workers provide the information and most of the time write the documents for the Commander. If you do not have a good relationship with the Commander, then try to pick the trusted agent that accomplishes the staff work to present the letter for review and signature. I accomplished the "staff" work and scheduled a meeting with the Commander (Brig Gen) and discussed the details with him until he was comfortable with the information. I suggested he call the Medical Commander to get their assessment and he did. The information aligned with the assessment from the Med Group so all was well. I am not saying to game the system, all I am saying is to ensure that the correct information is provided and included. At this point, you have to look out for your best interest.
That's great info! Thanks so much. Now at least I have a plan.

Elwayb13, I feel the same way. I am currently just entering the IPEB phase and roughly two weeks into the 4 to 8 week wait to find out if fit/unfit and the DOD and VA rating. PEBLO (Air Force) indicates only 2% come back as fit, so that is encouraging. The angst is that is the referred condition DVT left leg) was a rated 10% VACP that I did on my own anticipating the future IDES. I have a rated 70% VACP in 2016 (PE 60%, DVT left leg 10%, DVT right leg 10% and tinnitus 10%). The In service LOD that the Medical group provided to the MEB was a single DVT left leg and according to the PEBLO that is all that can be rated during the IPEB? I hope that the verbiage in the NARSUM and the NGB SG letter will allow the PE of 60% to be included as the referred condition. Any bureaucratic system has reason for pause and I am hoping for a 60% DOD rating and a 80% VACP rating out of the IPEB because a couple of other conditions were added during the MEB that would apply to the VACP. I will appeal to the FPEB if required. Best of luck to you and just play the game and educate yourself. If needed then Mr. Perry is always an option.
Well keep us posted! I wish you the very best. When this is all over I'm going to figure out a way to help others in these situations. It's been a great support and help to me for sure. It's just seems insane for the process to be so stressful.

Discrepancies in interpretation of DoDI is not limited to the MEB/PEB process. Several years ago, Congress directed, via legislation, the USN, USA and USAF to get together and hash out a discrepancy related to the 10 USC. Clearly MEB/PEBs are not handled consistently between the services. From what I've heard recently the AD and Reserves of the USAF are approaching the MEB/PEB process very differently.

You are welcome. I believe this forum is place for members to help one another.