PCA Orders During MEB/PEB

usmcssgtva

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Can you be given PCA orders while you are in the MEB and subsequent PEB process?

Apparently the monitor for my MOS thought it would be cool to issue me change of duty station orders effective next week to another unit in the same immediate area.

Technically they can't send you anywhere because you are on a med hold status (LIMDU and awaiting PEB) The reason being if your MEB turns into a PEB you would still need your same MO (medical officer) to do his part. Keep in mind the USMC will do whatever they want unless you find some kind of policy or directive in writing stating that. Hope it helps.

I don't know specifically for USMC, but for Navy, a naval message was sent via message traffic for me that clearly states no PCS'ing (same as PCA I suppose).

Army: I had to send a request up to my brigade CO to stop my pcs orders when I started the process

Thanks for the feedback, the individual who just tried to do this was corrected and I'm no longer in reciept of orders.

Thanks for the feedback, the individual who just tried to do this was corrected and I'm no longer in reciept of orders.
Hey I'm in the same boat right now. I went MEB in January and am now in PEB but somehow orders popped for me overseas. I was told at the beginning of the MEB process that I would be ineligable for orders. My admin told me that the only way out of them was to refuse the orders and sign a pg 11 entry that made me ineligable for promotion. I think I got hosed on this deal and no one around here wants to help me. I'm currently stationed at a Navy base and even legal here wouldn't look it up for me. They told me I need to do all the legwork and find all the references then they would help.......I did NOT want to sign that pg 11 because I knew I was close to making rank but they pretty much made me do it. I said I didn't want to, but they said I had to or execute orders to Japan. I have looked all over but haven't yet found anything in black and white that says in a MEB/PEB status you are ineligable for PCS orders. I really need to find this because if I can I may have a case for them making me sign the pg 11 under duress and not following protocal, therefore making myself eligable to make rank. Any help would be much appreciated.

What Navy base are you at? You need to go speak to a JAG immediately. Don't sign anything without legal advice. Take legal advice from the JAG, not some motivator in admin telling you to sign a page 11.

On my limited duty paper work (which is still in effect during MEB/PEB) it said no PCS/Deployments. Does yours say that? I will have to dig up the regulation...

Unfortunately I signed it already. The SSGT in admin here is extremely intimidating and he was the one who told me I had to sign it......but like I said, for those reasons I might be able to retract that because I signed under duress. And I am stationed at Naval Air Station Lemoore.

I did speak with the legal department at my squadron but they were the ones that told me I had to do all the leg work my self and bring them the proof that what happend to me was not policy.....I guess I may have to take this to the base legal dept. I really need some Marine admin help here but I can't go to mine cause they're the ones that screwed me and I have no other connections anywhere else for a straight answer.

Yes, you need to get with base legal, not squadron legal. I'm reading through my old messages, let me see if I can dig something up for you.

Thnks so much. I even went so far as to pull the Marine Corps promotion manual and the Naval instruction on PEB boards but wasn't able to find anything helpful yet.

CplPunishment13,
I found exactly what you are looking for:

Here is the reference and pay close attention to #3, which I underlined.
MCO P1900.16F, Marine Corps Separation and Retirement Manual, Chapter 8, Separation and Retirement for Physical Disability

8607. DEPLOYABILITY/PCS
1. For Marines who are on TLD, deployability is left to the discretion of the Marine’s commanding officer, who should take into consideration the recommendations of the medical officer that dictated the MEB which placed the Marine on limited duty. TLD is intended to allow a Marine to recover from an illness/injury and return to full duty. Commanding officers should consider whether or not deploying the Marine will aggravate and worsen the illness/injury, and whether or not the Marine will be afforded adequate medical treatment where the unit is deployed, thus allowing the Marine the best opportunity to recover and return to full duty.
2. Marines on TLD should not execute PCS orders unless it can be assured that:
(a) The Marine can receive the same level of medical treatment at the new MTF as is being received at the current MTF; and
(b) Re-locating the Marine will not, in any way, aggravate or worsen the illness/injury.
3. Once a Marine has entered the DES, by way of an MEB being accepted by the PEB, the Marine shall not be deployed or execute PCS orders, unless approved by the CMC (MMSR-4).

Thank you so much for that info. I printed that page of the manual out and highlighted that section and brought it to the attention on my MSGT who is my senior enlisted at my squadron. He told me he would speak to the SGTMAJ in admin about it but I get the feeling he's not really on my side. I am the last person to be the "the whole world's against me" kind of Marine, but I know that for me to get this cleared it's going to mean admin admitting they did something wrong and the Marines at admin here treat you like a boot camp recruit all over again. I have a feeling this is going to be quite a battle.
CplPunishment13,
I found exactly what you are looking for:

Here is the reference and pay close attention to #3, which I underlined.
MCO P1900.16F, Marine Corps Separation and Retirement Manual, Chapter 8, Separation and Retirement for Physical Disability

8607. DEPLOYABILITY/PCS
1. For Marines who are on TLD, deployability is left to the discretion of the Marine’s commanding officer, who should take into consideration the recommendations of the medical officer that dictated the MEB which placed the Marine on limited duty. TLD is intended to allow a Marine to recover from an illness/injury and return to full duty. Commanding officers should consider whether or not deploying the Marine will aggravate and worsen the illness/injury, and whether or not the Marine will be afforded adequate medical treatment where the unit is deployed, thus allowing the Marine the best opportunity to recover and return to full duty.
2. Marines on TLD should not execute PCS orders unless it can be assured that:
(a) The Marine can receive the same level of medical treatment at the new MTF as is being received at the current MTF; and
(b) Re-locating the Marine will not, in any way, aggravate or worsen the illness/injury.
3. Once a Marine has entered the DES, by way of an MEB being accepted by the PEB, the Marine shall not be deployed or execute PCS orders, unless approved by the CMC (MMSR-4).

Just wanted to give a quick update and a huge thank you to "usmcssgtva". It took about a month of battling and admin throwing a lot of hurdles my way and making me produce a lot of paperwork, some of which had nothing to do with the matter at hand. Luckily I keep good records and never gave up the fight, and got them to admit they were wrong and withdraw the page 11 entry. Not only am I eligible now but I have the score for August. =)....I will be pinning on Sgt on Aug 1st.

Very happy to hear that the information I gave you helped you out. I am just doing my part as a Marine and how I would want to be treated. Congrats on becoming a Sergeant!