PCM refusing to refer me to MEB despite my condition being debilitating

GrilledCheezus

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all,

To provide some back ground, I "was" an ETN1. I was recently re-rated to OS which per what I understand of the job will not mesh well with my diagnosed medical issues.

I was initially diagnosed with IBS, GERD and Gastritis. I was tested on many different medications until I was placed on Bentyl which resulted in drowsiness and dizziness. This resulted in my PCM at the time DQ'ing me. Although this medication did help to reduce some of pain and issues of my GI issues, I still had sever bouts. I then discovered that my IBS was triggered by specific food intolerances which I coordinated with a nutritionalist as well as my GI doctor with. This helped and I was able to cut back on the use of the Bentyl due to severe fatigue. After some pestering due to significant issues with controlling my medical issues I eventually got a sleep study referral to see about my severe fatigue/sleepiness, where I was diagnosed with chronic severe narcolepsy without cataplexy. Even after being diagnosed with Narcolepsy (to which I am very concerned with driving early in the morning and at night due to the fact that I have fallen asleep at lights before), I am still not stable when it comes to controlling my conditions.

To add on to all of this, when I can't control my diet I am forced to take Zantac, Zofran, Bentyl, and Linzess. On top of those medications I have to regularly take Adderall (Which I am still not on a stable dose after 7 months of being diagnosed). I used to be on Celexa for anxiety which was caused by my GI medications, but due to the requirement of Adderall I had to stop because it caused me to develop Serotonin syndrome.

I have been recommended for MEB even by our acting PEBLO just based on the Narcolepsy, and this is without considering how my GI issues exacerbate it. My PCM continues to state that my narcolepsy as well as my GI issues do not constitute a MEB because they do not significantly impact my ability to do my job. I have a sneaking suspicion that my PCM is attempting to clear me for transfer disregarding my medical issues. Is there anything at all I can do? (BTW I have already tried with our other PCM, they were worse)

You can try talking to patient advocacy. But honestly, they did the same thing to me at my last base and I didn't get an MEB started until after being at my new base for 9 months. The doctors at my previous base kept saying that "I didn't warrant an MEB and I just needed to figure out to power through" despite my weight dropping rapidly and not being able to eat for days or weeks at a time sometimes.

Do you have a good relationship with your chain-of-command? Have you tried discussing this with them? Though they can't directly initiate an MEB, there are certain things they may be able to cut through the red-tape with. I would start with your "first-sergeant" and see if he/she can help out before I do anything drastic like showing up at Congress. Just my two cents.

Do you have a good relationship with your chain-of-command? Have you tried discussing this with them? Though they can't directly initiate an MEB, there are certain things they may be able to cut through the red-tape with. I would start with your "first-sergeant" and see if he/she can help out before I do anything drastic like showing up at Congress. Just my two cents.
With the exception of going to CO, I have barked up pretty much every plausible tree. The general concept is that unless medical says otherwise, that they can do nothing. Unfortunately the instructions are written in such a way that can be twisted by PCMs regardless of how the service member is affected. Luckily though, I can't be adsepped with narcolepsy since it is a VASRD rated disability. From what I have gathered is that it is just a waiting game until big Navy replies back with a deployability verdict from my operational screening.

The USN does lots of return to duty decisions. I suspect your PCM understands that clearly and is saving time.

The USN does lots of return to duty decisions. I suspect your PCM understands that clearly and is saving time.
So I recently just got a MAS 1300/3 from the PCM saying I am not world wide deployable and shall remain on shore duty. Considering this contradicts the new deployability instruction stating you must be deployable otherwise if you reach 12 months you are to be separated. Should I expect that NAVPERSCOM will direct referral to DES on receipt of this notice?

I still feel as though my MTF is ultimately trying to avoid pulling the trigger on sending me to MEB to cover their own ass (my command has a large number of sailors either LIMDU or in MEB), per instruction if a condition inhibits my ability to perform the duties of my rank/rate/office I am to be referred. Regardless, I am fairly comfortable now that I have this document due to it preventing them from ADSEPing me with narcolepsy prior to a MEB.

Hopefully you are keeping a journal of what has happened and gathering copies of actions, emails, doctor's visits....