PDBR decision and timeline.

visserjr3

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
First, I want to thank everyone on this forum for clarification, support, and encouragement. It has meant more than words can convey during this time.
Yesterday, I received my decision from the Navy recommending that my separation be upgraded to retirement. I laughed, cried, had dinner with my family, made phone calls, and read it multiple times last night in disbelief. I also realize that others got their results yesterday and were denied, this weighs heavy on my heart for each one of you. At dinner last night, I realized just how drastically different my day had been compared to yours. Keep your heads up and keep fighting. I will post my detailed timeline in this thread later if it will help others who are waiting.

John

Congratulations!! You finally got what was deserved from the beginning!! It gives me great hope to hear recent cases of others being retired. I’m sure It was one heck of a celebration :)

Thanks! It is still all so surreal. Below is my timeline.

May 2017-Submitted to PDBR
July-2017-Entered Records Collection Phase assigned docket number
April 4th 2019-Entered PDBR Adjudication
June 17th 2019-Date PDBR signed recommendation
June 25th 2019-Informed it was sent to PDBR final processing following Adjudication
July 22nd 2019-Informed recommendation has been forwarded to the Navy.
August 7th 2019-Informed by the Navy they had received the recommendation from the PDBR.
October 30th 2019-Assistant Secretary of the Navy signs letter approving retirement (four other names on the cover letter, 3 approved retirement and 1 was increased to 20%)
November 6th 2019-Director, Secretary of the Navy CORB letter informing me retirement approved
November 15th 2019-Navy emails me letters of approval and PDBR packet
Orders?
ID Cards?
Tricare?
DFAS?

Last edited:
Excellent! I'm currently in the same position. I received my letter a few weeks ago. I called to attend the SDP meeting at the nearest military base. The lady told me where to go and it will be soon, but was uncertain about the date. I told her I was never married nor do I have children. She said, I still need to attend. I'm guessing it's for the other information and identification card. My question is when payments start?

Excellent! I'm currently in the same position. I received my letter a few weeks ago. I called to attend the SDP meeting at the nearest military base. The lady told me where to go and it will be soon, but was uncertain about the date. I told her I was never married nor do I have children. She said, I still need to attend. I'm guessing it's for the other information and identification card. My question is when payments start?

Note: I've received letters since 2009 and I've never replied, thinking it was a joke. When I received a letter in May of 2019, I went ahead and signed it and sent it in.

Re: When do payments start?

Others will be able to answer your question about "when"; however, as you likely know your DoD disability retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation...both for current and past entitlements.

Ron

Welcome to the forum! As for when payment starts, there seemingly is no hard fast timeline. In reading others timelines on here it has varied from a few short months to over a year. The clock for payments does not start until DFAS receives a copy of your new orders retiring you. Good luck, and keep us posted!
John

Re: "The clock for payments does not start until DFAS receives a copy of your new orders retiring you. "

That info is important.

Understandably, many become frustrated due to the overall length of time they have waited. I saw one case where a retiree was angry at DFAS for delaying his payment, but the DFAS had received the orders only the month before.

Ron

Re: When do payments start?

Others will be able to answer your question about "when"; however, as you likely know your DoD disability retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation...both for current and past entitlements.

Ron

Small update as of today (in bold):

June 25th 2019-Informed it was sent to PDBR final processing following Adjudication
August 7th 2019-Informed by the Navy they had received the recommendation from the PDBR.
October 30th 2019-Assistant Secretary of the Navy signs letter approving retirement (four other names on the cover letter, 3 approved retirement and 1 was increased to 20%)
November 6th 2019-Director, Secretary of the Navy CORB letter informing me retirement approved
December 23rd 2019-Received an email from Navy Disability Retirements in Millington, with forms for Retirement Pay elections and SBP to be filled out and returned. The last email I believe they sent before turning on their Out of Office notifications. :)

The kind person in Millington did answer my question, even after turning on their out of office, which I thought was very genorous. So, I will share the insight here. I had asked how long it will be before I have what I need to update Deers and get ID cards.

"Yes, I have to process your PBDR first, once I receive the documents once I return from holiday leave. It will take a couple of weeks!"

Orders?
ID Cards?
Tricare?
DFAS?

Last edited:
Congrats on the decision, and thank you for the timeline info. I am in a similar time frame, with my original paperwork being accepted in early 2017. I received notification on Sept. 4th that the decision had been reached and forwarded to the Navy, (former USMC) however I have not received any notification that the Navy received it or anything since that Sept. 4th email/letter. Any opinon on whether I should try to reach out to the Navy to get a status or if that is even possible? If I remember correctly, they only review cases quarterly so I am guessing I missed out the 4th quarter review.

Congrats on the decision, and thank you for the timeline info. I am in a similar time frame, with my original paperwork being accepted in early 2017. I received notification on Sept. 4th that the decision had been reached and forwarded to the Navy, (former USMC) however I have not received any notification that the Navy received it or anything since that Sept. 4th email/letter. Any opinon on whether I should try to reach out to the Navy to get a status or if that is even possible? If I remember correctly, they only review cases quarterly so I am guessing I missed out the 4th quarter review.

Thanks!!! Welcome to the forum. I would recommend contacting the NAVY/USMC point of contact. Ms. Ann Jones. Her email is [email protected]
I am not sure about the quarterly thing. However, I do know she has been very helpful to myself and others. Make sure to include your case number and when the PDBR sent it to the Navy. Best of luck!

John

Thank you for the quick info! Email sent, hopefully I'll hear something soon.
No worries, happy to help! Best of luck!
John

Small update as of today (in bold):

December 23rd 2019-Received an email from Navy Disability Retirements in Millington, with forms for Retirement Pay elections and SBP to be filled out and returned.
January 7th, 2020 Submitted forms to Navy Disability Retirements in Millington (DD From 2256, and W-4)

Orders?
ID Cards?
Tricare?
DFAS?

I was in the Air Force (99-06), Security Forces. After my last tour, I started having gran-mal seizures. I was discharged 4-03-2006 with 10% seizure disorder, severance pay. I had brain surgery 5 months later. I'm rated 100% P&T by the VA as of 4-04-2006.

I started recieving letters around 2009, about this program. I asked about it and I was told it was a hoax. When I recieved another letter in April 2019, I did some research and saw things are working out for Veterans. I signed the form and mailed it in. I received a letter around Jul-Aug, requesting more information. I was able to find what I could from my MEB and mailed it in.
Then I received a grant letter November 2019.

After reading these post, I understand it takes alot of time before we receive payments. I did call the number to attend the SBP meeting, even though I do not have nor had dependents.