PDBR retroactive payment to the time of separation?

cdb3083

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Has anyone recieved retro pay from doing your Pdbr and if so did they recoup the severace pay from your retro pay? In the process just trying figure out if and what i will be due if any. Thanks for any help in advance.

Not PDBR...ABCMR...I did not get severance, but, I am awaiting retro that is being held up at DFAS because FY 15 funding has not been released to DFAS.

Has anyone recieved retro pay from doing your Pdbr and if so did they recoup the severace pay from your retro pay? In the process just trying figure out if and what i will be due if any. Thanks for any help in advance.

@cdb3083 Yes, there are several of us that have been through the PDBR process. If you received severance pay, and it has not been recouped in full, as of your change in status, the VA will continue to recoup the debt. The downside of the status change, is that fact that your severance debt will increase to the Gross Amount, versus the Net Amount, which you previously owed to the VA. However, this will likely be offset, and it is possible, after the audit has been completed by DFAS, and the VA, you may owe any additional monies.

The issue of retro pay, is a bit vague, as the are many Chapter 61 Retirees that are required to waive their retirement pay, to collect their VA Compensation & Pension benefits pay.

What i am asking is did you AvnSgt recieve back pay to the date you wer medically separated and from the back pay did they deduct your severance pay? Or did they keep recouping it from the va?

What i am asking is did you AvnSgt recieve back pay to the date you wer medically separated and from the back pay did they deduct your severance pay? Or did they keep recouping it from the va?

I will try to answer this as simple as possible.

1st: Yes, DFAS adjusted my pay to the original date of separation.
2nd: No, this did not result in me receiving back pay.
3rd: DFAS conducted audit of VA records, for separation pay recoupment.
4th: The results of the audit offset the Gross amount owed to DFAS for separation pay received.
5th: And, back pay was forfeit due to waiver of Retirement Pay, for VA Compensation.
6th: Yes, the VA continued to recoup severance until the net amount owed was recovered.

I think this covers everything.

1. You will receive (retroactively to the day of your original disability separation) monthly disability retirement pay from your military service. NOTE: By law, all previously awarded disability severance pay may be subject to recoupment from these new retirement payments before you can actually begin receiving your entire disability retired pay. For information, please see the Retired and Annuity Pay Section and Wounded Warrior Section or contact DFAS at 1-800-321-1080.
  2. You are now eligible for DoD’s TRICARE health care coverage (retroactively to the day of your original disability separation). Coverage is extended to your eligible dependents as well. You may request to have TRICARE retroactively reimburse your previous medical expenditures.
  3. You are eligible to buy the Survivor’s Benefit Plan insurance for your dependents (you would be responsible for retroactively paying insurance premiums to bring your coverage up to date).
  4. You (and your eligible dependants) will have all rights and privileges of a retired Veteran from your armed service (e.g. commissary, exchange, space available recreation and travel, other benefits available via State and private sector organizations).
Now with this being direct from the health.mil website. I see what it says at the very top and this makes no since to what i am reading from them and what others are experiencing

I am 90% with individual unemployability through the va. And from seeing your profile you are to. Do you not recieve your retirement pay and you va pay?

I am 90% with individual unemployability through the va. And from seeing your profile you are to. Do you not recieve your retirement pay and you va pay?

That's correct, I do not receive my retirement pay.

Ok going to take a shot here but i have done research on this site as well. Have you looked in to CRDP it allows you to draw both your pays and it has a section in it for people who are individual unemployability just a thought but from what i have read i think i am probably eligble for both. Any enlightenment is greatly appreciated. And if i am being a hassle just let me know.

Ok going to take a shot here but i have done research on this site as well. Have you looked in to CRDP it allows you to draw both your pays and it has a section in it for people who are individual unemployability just a thought but from what i have read i think i am probably eligble for both. Any enlightenment is greatly appreciated. And if i am being a hassle just let me know.

Yes, but to draw CRDP, you my not only be rated for unemployability, but you must also meet the secondary condition of 20 years of service, or have a TERA letter.

I walk through this with DFAS, because of the wording on my letter, that preceded the orders I received. Once you receive your full package from the PDRL office, make an appointment with your local Army Retirement Officer(RO). The RO will help guide you through the transition from medical separation to your retirement.

• you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay. The way this reads we would be eligible because we received this through the law passed for the Wounded warrior Act of 2008

• you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay. The way this reads we would be eligible because we received this through the law passed for the Wounded warrior Act of 2008
You must be a Retiree, other than solely by disability. So, it precludes Chapter 61 Retirees from getting CRDP.

K you have been a big help

I am sorry. I know it sucks. There have been several bills in the House, and Senate to change this unjust act. However, those bills have never been successful at getting through committee. There was even a petition on Change.org at one time to get our Representatives to take action, but this failed as well.

I draw ssi already have you had any luck on drawing it¿
Just a quick chime in: Since you mention you are collecting SSDI. In order to keep / get your Tricare benefits you must purchase Medicare Part B. There is no way around that. Congrats on getting a retirement.

Just a quick chime in: Since you mention you are collecting SSDI. In order to keep / get your Tricare benefits you must purchase Medicare Part B. There is no way around that. Congrats on getting a retirement.

Yes to Dcmd124.

It was my experience the following:

I rec'd SSDI in an AUG month (AUG 2010).

I was still on AD (FULL PAY) and going through IDES at the time of receipt of SSDI (AUG 2010).

I was authorized SSDI 14 months BEFORE I rec'd my IDES ratings (OCT 2011)

My SSDI was retro paid in AUG 2010 back to DEC 2007.

So I THOUGHT (and was told) I HAD to pay MEDICARE A/B.

I have been told this is WRONG - IF you are on AD.

I have been told you DO NOT need to pay for Medicare B UNTIL you are discharged.

I don't know if this helps, but I'd thought I'd throw this in there.

NOW, since I have retired on PDRL:

I have been told I MUST pay my Medicare A/B premium in order to maintain my eligibility for TRICARE.

My Medicare A/B is 104.90 p/month from my SSDI. There will be NO increase in the premium rate through FY 2014-2015.

TRICARE is a SECONDARY payor. That means that Medicare pays first, then Tricare pays whatever they pay - if anything.

The upside to this is that you have a "dual" coverage here in the USA and it's territories - for whatever that is worth.

The downside to this is for those who DO NOT live within the USA or it's territories.

Retirees who live or go to school OUTSIDE the USA & it's territories MUST pay for Medicare OR LOSE THEIR TRICARE ELIGIBILITY.

MEDICARE IS ONLY GOOD INSIDE THE USA & IT'S TERRITORIES.

IT IS NOT VALID OUTSIDE THIS AREA.

YET, the VETERAN who chooses to attend school OUTSIDE that area IS OBLIGATED TO PAY FOR MEDICARE in order to MAINTAIN TRICARE - which IS good for use OUTSIDE the USA & territories.

So, a VETERAN PAYS for something they CANNOT use in order to USE something they CAN.

Just another weird thing about the insurance industry and our government rules that just doesn't make sense.

What I don't understand is WHY I HAVE to pay for a health care system I CANNOT USE outside the USA (Medicare A/B) in order to MAINTAIN a health car system I CAN USE outside the USA (Tricare).

Especially since health care costs in overseas nations are FAR FAR lower than here in the USA. (no Kidding!)

I'm frankly surprised that our health care insurers HAVEN'T already told us to get our surgeries outside the USA.

I know. People here think the USA has the best medicine in the world - the best hospitals - all that stuff.

Well, in SOME particular respects we do. But we cost an arm and a leg and a firstborn child.

Google medical tourism - you'll see what I'm talking about.

I was traveling as an "Aide" to a very wealthy person at one time in my life. And one time, we were in New Zealand and THIS PERSON got sick

So I took this US civilian (non-military) to a regular NZ "GP" Doctor.

NO CHARGE for the visit. AND only 10 NZ dollars for the RX meds!

So I think they ought to eliminate the MANDATORY PAYMENT for MEDICARE A/B if you TRAVEL/LIVE OVERSEAS.

You can't use it , so why pay for it?

Just so you can keep you TRICARE?

How messed up or wrong is that?

ESPECIALLY if you are a DISABLED VET who has NO access to health care OTHER THAN Tricare?

NO VA - NO MEDICARE - ONLY TRICARE.

But you still have to pay for Medicare - AND THE MEDICARE POLICY IS NO GOOD TO VETS - ESPICALLY FOR THOSE ON THE GI BILL IN A SCHOOL outside the USA and it's Territories.

But WE have to pay for it in order to keep OUR Tricare insurance in force. - an insurance that CAN work overseas (and what a pain in the A$$ that is). That's another story.....

I submit to you that this is an "F"ed" up system.

We want Veterans to "be all that they can be". But we HOBBLE the VETS financially .

Something is VERY WRONG with this picture - unless you come from a "Disneyland" family that is.

I don't - do you?

V/R,
nwliveiwre

Whoa...I got my retirement orders April 2014, was granted SSDI and started collecting it around April or may. So am I supposed to be paying for Medicare or something? What did I miss, I go to the VA for all medical stuff.