Clark2006

Registered Member
Hello everyone,
We are trying to decide if we should try the PDBR. All the info we have read can be overwhelming. Being completely honest we were young and didn’t know anything when my husband received his medical discharge and now we are seeing if we can get some better results.

Backstory: USMC 6 years in. My husband was DX with type 1 diabetes. He was Immediately sent to the med board for discharge. They had him on 2 types of insulin and oral meds
(which he never needed to be on the oral meds since he was type 1 and completely insulin dependent) he was also on light duty (no field duty, no rifle range, no strenuous physical activity, no formation, no pt, no deployment and so on) due to blood sugars getting dangerously low.

Sept 2006 we got the result unfit with a rating of 20%. We were advised to do an appeal ( we were all thinking he would get 30-40%). Oct 2006 same thing 20%. Nov 1 received out 30 day letter to get out. I can’t remember off the top of my head the month but maybe 1-2 months later got the Va ratIng of 20%. We didn’t start to receive the Va checks until 2016. We have tried to files claims several times through the Va to get the % increased put have had no success. We have been going through his medical records and they are a hot mess. 1/2 say he is a type 2 controlled by exercise and diet or controlled by oral meds and diet and the last half say he is a type 1 fully insulin dependent. While looking through his medical records we also found that on the Abbreviated medical evaluation report it was reported that he was diagnosed with “diabetes non-insulin dependent” staying “ patient was initially treated with insulin, he is now well controlled on oral medication alone. “ which is not true. He has always been on insulin 2 types in fact since day 1.

Anyways, we were curious if we should try the PDBR or try going through the Va again for a increase. Any tips or tricks on how to get then to approve a higher %? He is still on insulin. He defiantly has to be careful during physical activities and when he is on the job working in the Ga heat he tends to have a lot more low blood sugars. He has even blacked out while driving and was in a accident. Thank goodness nobody was hurt.

Thanks you for reading and for any advice.

Hello,

Some PDBR info is at ---> this LINK

The owner of this board, Jason Perry, is an attorney. Perhaps he could be of help.

See your mailbox for additional info pertaining to correction of military records.

You could go through the VA regards of whether you choose to pursue the PDBR option.

Ron

Hello everyone,
We are trying to decide if we should try the PDBR. All the info we have read can be overwhelming. Being completely honest we were young and didn’t know anything when my husband received his medical discharge and now we are seeing if we can get some better results.

Backstory: USMC 6 years in. My husband was DX with type 1 diabetes. He was Immediately sent to the med board for discharge. They had him on 2 types of insulin and oral meds
(which he never needed to be on the oral meds since he was type 1 and completely insulin dependent) he was also on light duty (no field duty, no rifle range, no strenuous physical activity, no formation, no pt, no deployment and so on) due to blood sugars getting dangerously low.

Sept 2006 we got the result unfit with a rating of 20%. We were advised to do an appeal ( we were all thinking he would get 30-40%). Oct 2006 same thing 20%. Nov 1 received out 30 day letter to get out. I can’t remember off the top of my head the month but maybe 1-2 months later got the Va ratIng of 20%. We didn’t start to receive the Va checks until 2016. We have tried to files claims several times through the Va to get the % increased put have had no success. We have been going through his medical records and they are a hot mess. 1/2 say he is a type 2 controlled by exercise and diet or controlled by oral meds and diet and the last half say he is a type 1 fully insulin dependent. While looking through his medical records we also found that on the Abbreviated medical evaluation report it was reported that he was diagnosed with “diabetes non-insulin dependent” staying “ patient was initially treated with insulin, he is now well controlled on oral medication alone. “ which is not true. He has always been on insulin 2 types in fact since day 1.

Anyways, we were curious if we should try the PDBR or try going through the Va again for a increase. Any tips or tricks on how to get then to approve a higher %? He is still on insulin. He defiantly has to be careful during physical activities and when he is on the job working in the Ga heat he tends to have a lot more low blood sugars. He has even blacked out while driving and was in a accident. Thank goodness nobody was hurt.

Thanks you for reading and for any advice.

Welcome to the forum. I second what Ron has said, and offer this. If you are eligible for the PDBR, then apply. (with an *) It has been around for 10 years, and won't be forever. If the PDBR recommends, and the Secretary of the Navy approves retirement, the benefits are tricare, normal retiree privileges, and some potential for retirement pay, although @RonG is the expert there. Also, you can always pursue ratings increase with the VA at anytime. Now here is the *, I second soliciting Jason Perry for his services, it may be in your best interest to have a sincere, experienced and knowledgeable attorney advising you. In a case like yours, Mr. Perry would be able to best advise on whether to pursue a BCNR or PDBR as the first course of actions. Best of luck!

John