PDBR TIMELINE ARMY

edwards7986

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
This site has provided a good place to vent and get info and hope, and simply pass the time while waiting for pdbr process, i very much appreciate it.
Below is my timeline if it gives anybody any info i am happy.

March of '17, sent in letter that applies to pdbr(i just sent the paper back that i got in the mail, no records or lawyer or anything)
June of '18, Got notification that my discharge was being changed from 10 percent to 30 percent.
Sept of '18, Got orders and went to nearest base to get ID cards
#due to errors in orders being sent to where they need to go at one point i was taken off of pdrl, i called "AL" from the
army and he helped me get back and i had to go back to deers to get this fixed for tricare and such
next 3 months were a cluster. Be patient, things will get worked out, just be persistent#
Oct of '18, I applied for crsc and was almost immediately denied
#wait to apply for crsc until dfas is all worked out, you need a v.a. waiver in place and dfas can take some time.#
Jan of '19, Sent in form to crsc to re-open my application, dfas finally had my waiver in place.
#since then dfas has been goofing around with stuff.....recently my v.a. waiver was taken off so dfas could pay back
my severance pay that i got(v.a. paid back in 2012). and dfas also said v.a. has no record of me getting paid from
v.a. If this happens to you, call the v.a. and have them inform dfas to fix this, you are wasting time on hold if
you call dfas with this. They will just tell you to have v.a. send them the info.
Mar of '19, Now just waiting on crsc, army guy on phone said it could take 7 months(sometimes longer, sometimes shorter).

Hope this helps people or gives them some idea on the process.
My biggest lesson from this is don't jump the gun, be patient with stuff, sometimes jumping the gun can bugger stuff up, call and be persistent but like i did with crsc now instead of initial application i am in the appeal process just because i didn't wait for dfas to finish before i applied.

A few comments about CRSC.

Approved CRSC replaces some or all waived retired for combat related disabilities. Understandably, a CRSC board (example, Army) cannot approve a CRSC application until a retiree has waived retired pay.

A retiree pay account established by DFAS is also neccessary. PDBR cases take longer than routine retiree accounts.

Per DFAS:
Eligibility
To qualify for CRSC you must:
  • be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay
  • be rated at least 10 percent by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA)
  • waive your VA pay from your retired pay [i.e., retired pay is reduced by the amount of VA compensation]
  • file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service [requires approval]
Disabilities that may be considered combat related include injuries incurred as a direct result of:
  • Armed Conflict
  • Hazardous Duty
  • An Instrumentality of War
  • Simulated War
Ron

Thankyou for the reply Ron, I had to learn the hard way. What happened to me was i applied before dfas was done or when dfas didnt have me eligible for retired pay yet. Now i am eligible but it is waived due to v.a. being higher and i submitted the form to have crsc app looked at again.

Hello Edwards7986,

Your experience will help others having an approved PDBR.

A note about the waiver, although it changes nothing in your case.

The waiver is not due to it being higher, although being higher causes all your retired pay to be waived. CH 61 retired pay is reduced by the amount of VA compensation received. There are cases where the waiver leaves some residual retired pay.

Example:
-- retired pay = 3200
--VA compensation = 3000
-- 3200 minus 3000 = 200 residual retired pay (payble to retiree)

Ron

Thankyou Ron, with my pay i only get 742 retired pay waived due to v.a. pay being 1063 is what it says on my r.a.s.
Question Ron, is crsc pay be the same as my retired pay? I only have one condition, same for v.a. and retirement, v.a. rated me at 50 percent and now army has me at 30 percent for it.

As a Ch 61 retiree with less than 20 years active duty, your CRSC will be the LESSER
OF:

A. Dollar amount of longevity portion of retired pay (active duty years x 2.5% = multipler. Multipler x average high three base pay = longevity portion of retired pay

Or

B. Approved CRSC rate which mirrors same
rate in VA compensation tables (including dependents).

C. The CRSC amount at either A or B above will be reduced by the amount of residual retired pay after reduction of the amount of VA comp (waiver).

Ron

I appreciate you for bearing with me through this,.........so based on method "A" i would receive approx 400 dollars a month(i calculated this as you posted above) thankyou for the info,
Do you know if it only goes back 6 years for back pay for pdbr people or if they let it go all the way back to 2008.......i have heard conflicting things on this.

Keep in mind your CRSC amount will be reduced by any residual retired pay as in the example I provided earlier.

I recently searched for exceptions to the six year law, but did not find any during the 30 minutes I spent looking. It would seem a PDBR situation would be an exception. Let us know if you find the answer.

Ron

This site has provided a good place to vent and get info and hope, and simply pass the time while waiting for pdbr process, i very much appreciate it.

March of '17, sent in letter that applies to pdbr(i just sent the paper back that i got in the mail, no records or lawyer or anything)
June of '18, Got notification that my discharge was being changed from 10 percent to 30 percent.
#due to errors in orders being sent to where they need to go at one point i was taken off of pdrl, i called "AL" from the
army and he helped me get back and i had to go back to deers to get this fixed for tricare and such
next 3 months were a cluster. Be patient, things will get worked out, just be persistent#
#wait to apply for crsc until dfas is all worked out, you need a v.a. waiver in place and dfas can take some time.#
Jan of '19, Sent in form to crsc to re-open my application, dfas finally had my waiver in place.
#since then dfas has been goofing around with stuff.....recently my v.a. waiver was taken off so dfas could pay back
my severance pay that i got(v.a. paid back in 2012). and dfas also said v.a. has no record of me getting paid from
v.a. If this happens to you, call the v.a. and have them inform dfas to fix this, you are wasting time on hold if
you call dfas with this. They will just tell you to have v.a. send them the info.
Mar of '19, Now just waiting on crsc, army guy on phone said it could take 7 months(sometimes longer, sometimes shorter).

My biggest lesson from this is don't jump the gun, be patient with stuff, sometimes jumping the gun can bugger stuff up, call and be persistent but like i did with crsc now instead of initial application i am in the appeal process just because i didn't wait for dfas to finish before i applied.
Wow, maybe you got lucky? I sent my packet in April, 17. I received an email July 17 stating the following:
Mr ___________

We have received your case.

In the narrative below, your case is in the Case Workup Phase. The narrative also shows the process and timelines:

When we receive your application, our Central Intake Unit (CITU) will confirm your eligibility, then they will begin to request copies of your VA medical and rating documents as well as your service Physical Evaluation Board related records. They will send you a letter letting you know these processes have started (YOUR CASE IS HERE). This record collection process normally takes about three months. Once compiled, your case will be sent to the PDBR Board for review and adjudication. Finally, the Board's recommendation will be sent to your Service Secretary's designated decision authority for final action. Because of our detailed level of review, this process may take as much as 24 months.

You can e-mail us at any time to check the status of your case, but checking every four months or so would be more reasonable. Please use your case number in the subject line when making inquiries.

Respectfully
Physical Disability Board of Rev

This is the last I've heard from them. Did I get lost in the sauce?

Thanks!

Wow, maybe you got lucky? I sent my packet in April, 17. I received an email July 17 stating the following:
Mr ___________

In the narrative below, your case is in the Case Workup Phase. The narrative also shows the process and timelines:

When we receive your application, our Central Intake Unit (CITU) will confirm your eligibility, then they will begin to request copies of your VA medical and rating documents as well as your service Physical Evaluation Board related records. They will send you a letter letting you know these processes have started (YOUR CASE IS HERE). This record collection process normally takes about three months. Once compiled, your case will be sent to the PDBR Board for review and adjudication. Finally, the Board's recommendation will be sent to your Service Secretary's designated decision authority for final action. Because of our detailed level of review, this process may take as much as 24 months.

You can e-mail us at any time to check the status of your case, but checking every four months or so would be more reasonable. Please use your case number in the subject line when making inquiries.

Respectfully

Thanks!

I would definately email and or call and try to get some status. I found that alot of times information isn't volunteered and often you have to be proactive, assertive, and even relentless to get the info you need.

Wow!! I think this is the fastest positive turn around I've seen for the PDBR. I thought it was minimum of 2 years for a good result. This gives me hope I may not have to wait another 2 years. My packet was submitted last April by my attorneys. Thanks for the update!

Mr ___________

Respectfully

Thanks!
I agree about keeping on them. I have been waiting from mid 2017. Last month March 2019 they needed my Med records from discharge, due to not being able to contact my command (Navy). Today lol. I was informed they received my discharge paperwork An my added paper, An are waiting on the VA! I feel like I’ve gotten no where an lost in the sauce too! You find out more let me know . I got that email 1y ago

I submitted my PDBR packet back in Feb 2017. Today I received an e-mail stating my packet was transferred to the PDBR for adjudication.