PEB complete, 199 signed but getting misconduct discharge, do I have to redo the VA claims process?


Registered Member
Long time lurker on here, really great forum. So a bit of background, prior service O2 with 5 years of service. Entered MEB process 04/16, signed 199 in 11/16. 60% Army 100% VA. I have a past of misconduct and had even more while in the MEB process so I am now facing an admin sep (2 GOMORs and 1 Article 15). Due to the severity and amount of misconduct, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the General under Honorable or OTH (CG recommended General Under Honorable but I am prepared for the worst). My question is what happens after I separate? My claim and everything is done with the VA. Now I obviously won't be getting anything from the Army, but will the VA start "automatically" after I am discharged? Or will I have to redo everything? I'm gonna be paying back a little bit of my scholarship money but I have 1 honorable discharge from my enlisted time so that saves me a bit of benefits and most of my claims are from injuries while enlisted. Any info you have on what happens next will be really appreciated. I messed up and I'm paying for it, but if anyone can clear up what the future looks like for someone in this situation, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!


Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
If you have a proposed VA rating, all you need to do is upload your DD-214 for the claim to become finalized.

If you get a OTH, the VA may only consider the injuries that occurred before your good DD-214, however like everything else with the VA you can appeal the decision if less than favorable.


Registered Member
Thats good to hear. Thank you for letting me know. My case is at the Ad Hoc board now so I should be hearing back pretty soon. Fingers crossed they don't recommend an OTH, then I have another waiting game for the BOI. Thanks!
data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">