PEB found fit, but I'm NOT what to do?

Epoch615

Registered Member
I was diagnosed 2 years ago with Fibromyalgia and Hypermobility which have severely impacted my ability to do my job. I'm on numerous medications, most of which have had little to no affect on my pain levels. I was evaluated for PEB in March, I just recieved word that a week ago my results came in, Fit for duty. Now I'm faced with the prospect of fighting the findings or doing a sea duty screening, failing, and being administratively separated with no benefits whatsoever. My condition since March has become progressively worse, I have lost a great amount of mobility and have trouble walking and was placed on a cane, also my pain from my fibro has been so bad at times that I am unable to even get out of bed with severe pain and have been unable to sleep due to pain without strong medications. If I do nothing, I'm screwed. From what Ive heard from many people who also have fibromyalgia that my chances of getting and holding a job with this severity of pain and my mobility issues are slim to nil. I dont know what I can do, I kind of feel that the Navy is just trying to get rid of me without having to pay any benefits. I dont know what to do, can anyone help me?

Epoch615,

Welcome! Have you requested a formal hearing? That is probably your immediate course of action. Past that, you may end up fighting this through administrative board and/or ultimately the Federal courts.

If you are determined to be unsuitable for sea duty and marked for administrative separation, please let me know ASAP. I am working this issue with DoD and need real live example cases to demonstrate why this fit but unsuitable policy must stop.

Mike

IM GOING THRU THE SAME ISSUE AS YOU AT THIS TIME. I WAS FOUND FIT BUT I HAVE DVT, ENLARGED HEART, HIGH BLOOD, HIGH CHOLESTOROL, ACID REFLUX ALL TO WHICH I AM TAKING MEDS. I ALSO HAVE TENDONITIS AND ARTHRITIS TO WHICH I CANT TAKE PAIN MEDS FOR BECAUSE IT DOES NOT MIX WITH THE COUMADIN THAT I AM ON FOR LIFE. I AM IN PAIN ALL NIGHT LONG. WHEN I SIT TO LONG, STAND, WALK OR RUN IM IN EXTEREME PAIN. MY LEG SWELLS AND IT GOES NUMB AS WELL AND TINGLES CONSTANTLY. I CANT PT OR DO ANYTHING CLOSE TO IT. I WAS ALSO TOLD THAT MY KIDNEY AND LIVER BLOOD LEVELS WERE LOW AS WELL AND THATS POSSIBLY DUE TO ALL THE MEDS THAT I TAKE ON A DAILY BASIS. THIS IS A INJUSTICE THAT THEY WOULD RATHER HAVE YOU ADMIN SEPERATED OPPOSED TO DOING WHATS RIGHT. I NEVER HAD HEALTH ISSUES PRIOR TO JOINING THE NAVY AND ALL OF A SUDDEN IM HAVING ISSUES. I HAVE TORN MY HAMSTRING AND ACHILLES. I HAVE BROKE THREE RIBS AND HAVE PLANTAR FLACIAITIS. BECAUSE I HAVE A DESK JOB I GUESS THATS COOL IN THERE EYES. I SIT AT A VERY SMALL DESK. I AM 6'6 AND I WEIGH 320 LBS SO THIS IS VERY UNCOMFORTABLE FOR ME. I AM NON-DEPLOYABLE AND I CANT GO TO SEA FOR THAT MATTER EVER AGAIN. THESE MEDICAL ISSUES ARE CAUSING DEPRESSIION AND CAUSONG ME TO DRINK VERY HEAVY. WHAT DO I DO FROM HERE?? I HAVE A FIANCE AND 2 KIDS TO LOOK AFTER BUT THEY SPEND THERE TIME LOOKING AFTER ME BC I CANT DO ANYTHING ANYMORE. AS A FORMER COLLEGE ATHLETE I AM USED TO BEING ACTIIIVE BUT I CANT ANYMORE. I WAS FORCED TO RUN A PRT IN NOV 07 AFTER MY DR TOLD ME NOT TO AND SINCE THEN MY LEG HAS GOTTEN WORSE THEN IT WAS EVER. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT ON WHAT I CAN DO NEXT????

If you are determined to be unsuitable for sea duty and marked for administrative separation, please let me know ASAP. I am working this issue with DoD and need real live example cases to demonstrate why this fit but unsuitable policy must stop.

Mike
Unfortunately there are more cases like this than our government cares to hear about. The Navy is (in my opinion because that is what I have dealt with most) the worst offender of hiding behind policy to kick someone to the curb. I am in the same "Fit" boat like thousands of others, and have a high chance of getting screwed like thousands before me.

To properly document these cases you need a whole staff of people. The military doesn't want to hear or advertise this because it is "bad for moral". They enforce the law when it suits them, and brush it under the rug when it is convenient.

MODERNFREE009 there is a wealth of information on this board, and the people here will help you to the best of their ability. Just hang on and don’t give up.

Well good news, got results from my reconsideration and I was found unfit for continued service at 40% disability. I'll be on the TDRL until my condition stabilizes, at which point I'll go on the permanent list at 80%. Now I just have to get myself into the VA...apparently that is going to be the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. Well thanks for all the help guys I appreciated it!

Epoch,

That is great news, Congratulations!

On TDRL, you will be rated at the minimum 50% level. I am confused as to why you say you will eventually get an 80% rating, the final rating will be determined by the PEB when your conditions stabilizes.

Either way, you are right, your next step is onward to the VA. I hope that goes smoothly and hope to see you back from time to time. Best of luck in your transition and afterwards.

If you haven't already, since you're moving on to deal with the VA now, you should check out the Veteran's Benefits Network (VBN). And congratulations on your rating!! :D

Epoch615,

Congrats on your rating! I started my VA process last week, and it wasn't fun.

Mike,

Please contact me, as I am currently in that status. PEB found me fit to serve, but I am marked as unsuitable for sea/deployment status. PEBLO told me I could request an admin sep or go through an appeal.

[email protected]
R/ Nate H.

Hello all I am in the process of waiting to find out if i go to a formal board. I currently have been diagnosed with ptsd tbi cognative disorder and anxiety disorder by the va and navy docs. I also have fibromyalgia diagnosed by a rumatologist. Pins in my left wrist and anchors on tendons in my left ankle i have pins in my right ankle . i have stomach ulsers and i take around 6 to 8 meds a day. the informal board for the Navy came back as fit for duty. i am apealing the decision. what can I do? this is not fair and I am a mess i have been in the navy for 16 years. any help would be appreciated