Perm profile (AS)

03XX

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Background. Currently rated at 30% through the VA for four different conditions, 10% each. Did 4 years AD Marine Corps got out and joined the MN Guard, have been doing that for 7 years. I have been told that I have AS by the VA and have been on Embrel since June. Recently was put on a permanent profile for AS.

I have L5 - S1 DDD and some minor issues with my pelvis area. If I am going into an MMRB, what do I need to be prepared for to ensure it is service connected condition? Where can I find out what percentage rating I would fall under with my current condition and symptoms?

Am I able to use someone like DAV to assist me in this process or am I all alone in this process?

Do you have a current rating for the AS? Was one of your orginal four ratings for anything related to your lower spine?

It is very likley that the current four conditions will be service connected since the VA has already made that determination. What may change are the ratings for the conditions, if you are sent though a MEB.

The VASRD is the guide to the individual ratings that the conditions will bring, and this will be based upon a compensation and pension evaluation by the VA if you are referred to the MEB/PEB.

You may most certainly use a VSO such as the DAV, and if you are referred to a MEB/PEB because of the MMRB, you will also be assigned legal counsel (JAG), you can also hire a private attorney (my recommendation is Jason Perry here on the forum).

Background. Currently rated at 30% through the VA for four different conditions, 10% each. Did 4 years AD Marine Corps got out and joined the MN Guard, have been doing that for 7 years. I have been told that I have AS by the VA and have been on Embrel since June. Recently was put on a permanent profile for AS.

I have L5 - S1 DDD and some minor issues with my pelvis area. If I am going into an MMRB, what do I need to be prepared for to ensure it is service connected condition? Where can I find out what percentage rating I would fall under with my current condition and symptoms?

Am I able to use someone like DAV to assist me in this process or am I all alone in this process?
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

In addition to @gsfowler feedback, please reference the following URL http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title38/38cfr4_main_02.tpl for access to the electronic 38 CFR VASRD.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Concur. How the VA has treated/service connected the condition would provide deeper insight on the possibility of the military deeming the condition duty related. Have you deployed to SWA? Have you had anthrax inoculations?

Below are some excerpts from an appeal I wrote that are relevant to AS which is another form of Spondyloarthropathy.

Is the IPEB aware that the VA has established a presumption that military members who have served in Southwest Asia have been exposed to the types of bacteria (e.g. Campylobacter,Nontyphoid Salmonella, Shigella)known to trigger spondyloarthropathies?(http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/infectious-diseases/index.asp)

Is the IPEB aware of the fact that Anthrax Vaccination Expert Committee believes that the anthrax inoculation can cause the onset and aggravation of seronegative spondyloarthropathies especially in HLAB27 positive individuals?

Seven systemic SAEs (‘anaphylactic-like reaction’[BOOP], ulnar nerve neuropathy, urticaria, rash,muscle spasms) and seven systemic OMIAEs (‘anaphylactic-like reaction’ [3], arthritis [2], aggravation of spondyloarthropathy and HLA B-27þ arthropathy) were judged to be possible, probable, or very likely/certain consequences of vaccination with AVA.

(https://www.vaccines.mil/documents/library/SeverArticle.pdf)

Thanks for the replies.

My current service connected rated conditions are...
10% thoracolumbar muscle strain (claimed as middle and lower back condition)
10% tinnitus
10% greater trochanteric bursitis, left hip (claimed as left hip condition)
10% left wrist sprain with residual tendonitis (claimed as left wrist condition)

I have not gotten the AS started as a claim, as I was waiting for the MMRB to start. Should I start a claim with the VA now?

Should I start a claim for the L5 - S1 issue now?

If you think your AS is service connected, I would file right away as payments would be retroactive to date of filing. Plus, if the VA service connects the AS, it will help refute a NG non LOD finding which will likely happen.

Mike

Would this only apply to the VA rating, I am still active, HLA B27 positive and bone growing in my soft tissue.