PHA question

dcommini

Registered Member
Hi all, I'm new here. I did a bit of searching for my answer before I started this post. Let me go ahead and ask my question...

I have been found unfit for duty due to lower back problems and as such I am not allowed to drill (am in the TN ARNG) so as not to agrivates my condition and/or get injured in the line of duty. My unit is telling me that I have to come in for a PHA. So how does that work? I've been told not to come to drill, and I am awaiting my appeals process to go through. How am I supposed to show up to do a PHA if I am not supposed to show up for drill?

I'm asking this in all seriousness since my unit has blatantly lied to me before (as well as "misplaced" all of my records [including medical] multiple times). They tell me I'm supposed to do one every 6 months now (as opposed to once a year), which very well may be the case, but again, I'm not even supposed to be showing up.

So what do I do?

AR 40-501 chapter 10. PHA is annual.

You do the questionnaire on AKO? Do you have a number to the aid station? I'd do the questionnaire and then call them and ask if its really necessary to come in.

A medical evaluation, such as the PHA, is surely different from drill. There are profiles saying you can't drill, but never heard of a profile saying you can't get a health assessment.

I've not done the questionnaire yet. The thing is is that the company is drilling and doing the PHA at the same time, so they expect me to be present for drill (name on the roster, etc.)

My unit readiness NCO told me they would let me know when to do the questionnaire, but that was over a month ago.

My unit just told me they want me to come in during a drill weekend in uniform to do the PHA (so they can pay me, and so I can fall in with their people also doing medical)... not sure if they are allowed to do so

Ultimately, its the commander, not the medical people, that have authority to give orders. Commanders can order you to break a profile. They open themselves to some serious problems should that then cause further injury to you. Medical people write profiles to cover the commander's arse just as much as to help you. If there is a truly serious problem with what they are asking you to do, you can push the problem up the chain until you get it to a commander who doesn't want to risk his career.

My advice, do it. I could be wrong, but sounds like you just want to be difficult. I don't think putting on a uniform and getting a physical is really going to break your profile. If you can't stand in line and formation or whatever, just talk them through whatever accommodation works with your condition. Just saying doc said I can't drill, so that means I don't have to listen to you anymore isn't going to get you very far.

Lets try looking at it from a different perspective. Commander has to report on the health of his unit. He has to show he's gotten everyone on his roster a physical so he can make this assessment. For everyone on that list that he can't tell his commander about, it makes him look really bad. Yes, higher level command gets briefed on this info, and commanders get asked name by name about those he failed. Those are Soldiers he's not looking after. A good compromise is to provide him with the information he needs to ensure he can meet his requirements, i.e. a date for a recent exam looking at your overall state. Him just saying, oh his back is messed up, I don't care about any other problems he might have, doesn't really look good.

Then again, what's the worse that can happen if you don't show up? If you're already in a process for a MEB and been found unfit and just appealing a rating or additional unfits, I am fairly certain they can't just drop you from the rolls for failure to drill. You're a reservist, so not subject to UCMJ and so can't go AWOL. /shrug

You need to do the PHA. This may give you further documentation for your appeal.

I'm all for doing the PHA, that's not the problem, I just know that I've been told by the State medical board and my commander that I am not supposed to report for duty any more. This seems suspiciously like duty that they would have me reporting to, so I just want to cover my rear. Basically I don't want them to say, "ah well you showed up, can't be that bad!" and rip up my profile, but I also don't want them to get into any trouble as well.

Thank you all for your comments