Physical Evaluation VS Administrate Separation..Help!

ITGenius

Registered Member
Hello all,
Coastie with 8.6 yrs in Active Duty.
I was just told I'm going to be med boarded due to a diagnosis on my Left eye, Left eye photophobic/Ptosis. This was due to an Elective Surgery PRK. I have a few questions.
I have been given to sign the waiver to be administrative discharge from the CG and waive the right to an Physical Evaluation board.
1. Due to this been a elective surgery do i have the right to request a Med board?
2. What is the process?
3. how long is the process?

Thanks for all your help on this matter.
Rich.​

Was this elective surgery done by a military doctor or was it "reffered"/"suggested" by a military doctor?

If it was done by the military docto go for the Medical Board. My ankle surgery was elective but I ended up with complications and did not get better. I knew this was a risk. I am now almost done with my medical board with severance pay, due to my low percentage. The proccess for an MEB is different for each person but in the new system, IDES, I wouldn't expect it to take more than 10 months.

But they are telling me that since it was elective that im not entitle for a Medical Board. please correct me if I'm beign mislead?

You may be being mislead. Is it the Doctors who are telling you this or is it your Chain of Command? You should be able to get in touch with your local Med Board office and see if they have further guidance. From what it sounds like though if you have to "waive your right to a MEB" you are entitled to one and they don't want to give it to you, other wise they would just kick you out.

Do you have any updates, ITGenius?

I wanted to get the PRK done while AD, but the paperwork about waiving rights scared me off.