Placed on TDRL, what to do to prepare evaluation?

Jcast1987

Registered Member
Hello! New member here that has never posted in a forum before and could use some help. I defiantly hope that I have this question in the right thread and if not, I would be grateful to be pointed in the right direction. However I could absolutely use some help from someone who has been through the TDRL process before.

I am recently medically retired from Active Duty with the Marine Corps, as of SEP 2020. I was placed on TDRL with a DoD rating of 70% for mental health. I was given a 100% P&T rating from the VA while going through the IDES process in Wounded Warrior. I understand that within 18 months to 3 years, I will need to do a revaluation in order to finalize my DoD ratings to determine whether or not I will move on to PDRL or get separated with a severance. My questions are, while I still have time, what would I need to do to prepare for my evaluation? What documents are recommended that I prepare or keep ready or if I need to establish a letter of recommendation from the Doctors assisting with the condition I am being evaluated on? ( I understand that the DoD is only looking at my most ratable condition, which in this cause is my mental health). Lastly, although I have come to understand that my VA ratings will not be affected by any future determination by the DoD, I am unsure as to if my ratings will play any sort of factor in determining my eligibility for PDRL.

Any help would be substantially appreciated.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello,

Re: "Lastly, although I have come to understand that my VA ratings will not be affected by any future determination by the DoD, I am unsure as to if my ratings will play any sort of factor in determining my eligibility for PDRL."

The DoD only determines whether you are fit or not to continue service. While the VA will compensate you based on any and all Service Connected conditions, the DoD will only recognize those conditions that they deem "Unfitting" for service.

The "unfitting" disabilities are part of the VA's comprehensive examination.

I have little knowledge pertaining to the other portions of your post.

Good luck,
Ron

johnbgately

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am, yes. And taking psychiatric medication.
Simple answer- remain in therapy at least twice a month, refill your meds as prescribed, and review your therapy notes to ensure that your providers are accurately recording your symptoms. If not, then you would need to find a new provider. The Navy PEB will be looking at your post-service activities- work, school, volunteer work, etc.- to determine whether your degree of impairment has improved. If accommodations have been made for you due to your TDRL unfitting condition(s), then obtain copies of the documents granting you such accomdations.

Jcast1987

Registered Member
I figured maintaining a paper trail is a good place to start but any specifics is always appreciated. Thank you so much for your advice.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">