Plantar Fasciitis rating question

seangay

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi, I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis at the C&P exam for my MEB, though the rating system states you get rated if your issue is not resolved by orthotics. I’ve never even attempted to get orthotics but the examiner said the issue is moderate and affects functionality in the report. Because I haven’t ever attempted to get orthotics does this mean the rating will be 0%? Thank. PS, I had an MRI show nothing on the feet a year prior, but the doctor said fasciitis doesn’t always show up as it can be micro tears.

I am very curious to see what comes from this. The verbiage that discusses plantar fasciitis gave me the impression that is dependent on what the provider grades it as in terms of mild, moderate or severe. Moderate diagnosis for you is hopefully enough to designate some sort of percentage.

Inability to wear military footwear, "severe" pain which limits the ability to walk/stand for prolonged time/distance

I received Bilateral 30% for inserts in shoes on both feet providing stability but not relief.

If you already have the condition rated by your PCM. You should be able to file an appeal with the VA for the rated condition and upload that documentation. Also when things are uploaded into your case file by your PEBLO, it should be a part of the package that gets sent to the VA

I have not gotten that far in the MEB process yet to file an appeal but thank you. And I thought your PEBLO only sends up unfitting conditions.

I heard your VA rep (MSC) is the one you claim all your service-connected conditions with.

I have not gotten that far in the MEB process yet to file an appeal but thank you. And I thought your PEBLO only sends up unfitting conditions.

I heard your VA rep (MSC) is the one you claim all your service-connected conditions with.
Yes the VA rep is the person you file all conditions with.

No, you are only referred to the MEB for unfitting, during the whole process you CLAIM EVERYTHING with the VA and let them sort out at the PEB what all your unfitting conditions are.

Inability to wear military footwear, "severe" pain which limits the ability to walk/stand for prolonged time/distance
Is that how it is written on your profile or just in your ortho notes? Thank you Your reply is very important.

Is that how it is written on your profile or just in your ortho notes? Thank you Your reply is very important.

Hi, I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis at the C&P exam for my MEB, though the rating system states you get rated if your issue is not resolved by orthotics. I’ve never even attempted to get orthotics but the examiner said the issue is moderate and affects functionality in the report. Because I haven’t ever attempted to get orthotics does this mean the rating will be 0%? Thank. PS, I had an MRI show nothing on the feet a year prior, but the doctor said fasciitis doesn’t always show up as it can be micro tears.
Plantar fasciitis is a condition where the skin and tissues on the bottom of the foot swell. It is rated under code5284, other foot conditions.

Code 5284: All other foot conditions and injuries are rated based on their severity and on how much the foot can be used. A moderate condition is rated 10%, a moderately severe condition rated 20%, and a severe condition rated 30%. This coding is only used if none of the other codes can satisfactorily describe the symptoms of the condition. For example, if there is a bone condition in the foot, but it isn’t a break, then it most likely will still be rated under code 5283 as a broken bone since it still affects the same kind of things a broken bone would. Similarly if the condition is a disease, then it should be rated under the code for a similar disease. If it doesn’t fit into any of those other options, then it can be rated here under 5284.

5284 Foot injuries, other:

Severe...................................................................................................................... 30
Moderately severe..................................................................................................... 20
Moderate ................................................................................................................. 10
Note: With actual loss of use of the foot, rate 40 percent.