Plantar fasciitis

Rater81

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Is the DOD rating for plantar fasciitis based on range of motion? I have pain when walking, standing or any pressure on my feet. I cannot walk longer than 10-15 minutes without sitting. I didn’t know if the ratings(I know there are several codes since there isn’t one for plantar fasciitis) had to be based on ROM or if it was also about functionality and severity. Thanks.

Is the DOD rating for plantar fasciitis based on range of motion? I have pain when walking, standing or any pressure on my feet. I cannot walk longer than 10-15 minutes without sitting. I didn’t know if the ratings(I know there are several codes since there isn’t one for plantar fasciitis) had to be based on ROM or if it was also about functionality and severity. Thanks.
Check out this link: VA Rating for Plantar Fasciitis Explained Below is an excerpt from another source on it.

How does VA Rate Plantar Fasciitis?

Because plantar fasciitis does not have its own rating criteria, it is rated analogous to other conditions of the feet with the most similar symptomatology. Often, but not always, plantar fasciitis is rated under the diagnostic code for acquired flatfoot.

Plantar fasciitis is rated analogous to flat foot under 38 CFR § 4.71a, diagnostic code 5276.VA rates this condition on a scale of mild to pronounced.

Mild. If symptoms, are relieved by the use of shoe inserts or arch supports, the veteran will be given a non-compensable rating of 0%.

Moderate. If the veteran experiences “inward bowing of the tendo achilis,” or pain upon use or movement of the foot or feet, a 10% rating may be assigned.

Severe. A foot disability is considered severe if there is an obvious deformity, increased pain with movement or use, swelling with use, presence of callosities. If one foot is affected, veterans can receive a 20% disability rating. If both are affected, veterans can receive a 30% rating.

Pronounced. If a veteran experiences severe tenderness; marked pronation and inward displacement; if the Achilles tendon spasms when touched; and the use of orthopedic shoes or devices do not alleviate these symptoms they may be able to receive a 30% disability rating if one foot is affected, and a 50% rating if both are affected. The rating schedule also provides 38 CFR § 4.71a, diagnostic code 5284 for foot injuries besides those addressed in other diagnostic codes. Under this code, foot injuries are rated from moderate to severe and include a note to assign a 40% rating if actual loss of use of the foot occurs. Foot disabilities diagnosed as moderate can receive a 10% disability rating, those that are moderately severe can be rated at 20%, foot disabilities deemed severe can receive a 30% disability rating, and loss of use of a foot is rated at 40%. If the rating schedule does not adequately reflect a veteran’s level of disability, they may be rated on an extraschedular basis.

Check out this link: VA Rating for Plantar Fasciitis Explained Below is an excerpt from another source on it.

How does VA Rate Plantar Fasciitis?

Because plantar fasciitis does not have its own rating criteria, it is rated analogous to other conditions of the feet with the most similar symptomatology. Often, but not always, plantar fasciitis is rated under the diagnostic code for acquired flatfoot.

Plantar fasciitis is rated analogous to flat foot under 38 CFR § 4.71a, diagnostic code 5276.VA rates this condition on a scale of mild to pronounced.

Mild. If symptoms, are relieved by the use of shoe inserts or arch supports, the veteran will be given a non-compensable rating of 0%.

Moderate. If the veteran experiences “inward bowing of the tendo achilis,” or pain upon use or movement of the foot or feet, a 10% rating may be assigned.

Severe. A foot disability is considered severe if there is an obvious deformity, increased pain with movement or use, swelling with use, presence of callosities. If one foot is affected, veterans can receive a 20% disability rating. If both are affected, veterans can receive a 30% rating.

Pronounced. If a veteran experiences severe tenderness; marked pronation and inward displacement; if the Achilles tendon spasms when touched; and the use of orthopedic shoes or devices do not alleviate these symptoms they may be able to receive a 30% disability rating if one foot is affected, and a 50% rating if both are affected. The rating schedule also provides 38 CFR § 4.71a, diagnostic code 5284 for foot injuries besides those addressed in other diagnostic codes. Under this code, foot injuries are rated from moderate to severe and include a note to assign a 40% rating if actual loss of use of the foot occurs. Foot disabilities diagnosed as moderate can receive a 10% disability rating, those that are moderately severe can be rated at 20%, foot disabilities deemed severe can receive a 30% disability rating, and loss of use of a foot is rated at 40%. If the rating schedule does not adequately reflect a veteran’s level of disability, they may be rated on an extraschedular basis.
Thank you!! The VA rated me under VA code 5278(pes cavus) and I wasn't sure if the other codes required ROM. Thanks :)