please help me and my concerns

Usafguy

Registered Member
Can someone rest my concerns please. I have been in the air force for 18 years. I have a condition that when I check the medical standards directory does not have a X in the retention column. I am on flying status as aircrew. So I may be removed from flying, however since there is no X in the retention column I shouldnt be booted from the air force or even go to a MEB. Is this correct?

That may be possible. It is not absolute. If the condition affects your ability to serve, you may be recommended for a MEB.

Depends on the condition. In my case it was recommended and found unfit. I am a flyer and I was medically DQd from flying due to my condition, but every case is different. Talk to your flight doc and see if it is waiver able.

The reason I may be removed from flight status is because I cannot pass the depth perception test. I believe there is people in the air force with the condition. There is no X in the retention column in the MSD. I was just concerned that I may be seen to a MEB instead of sent to a non flying job like staff. I am new to the whole wavier and meb process. Any info would be great.

Depth perception is not a condition that would cause a need for a meb, was a waiver completed on you that was denied? If you had a denied waiver you well be dq'ed from flying and it will be up to the functional manager to decide if you stay in the career field or retrain.

Talk to your CFM and see if you can go sensor op

Do whatever you absolutely can to make it to 19 prior to any MEB proceedings starting. Once you hit 19, the process usually takes long enough there are ways to drag it out and make numerous appeals for you to get to 20. Talk to your flight doc about it they should be able to help you make it just one more flippin year.

Omdren, thanks for the info. That is what I was thinking too, that it is not a condition that is required for retention standards. So a MEB wouldnt be required. I have just started the wavier process.

Omdren, thanks for the info. That is what I was thinking too, that it is not a condition that is required for retention standards. So a MEB wouldnt be required. I have just started the wavier process.
Just be careful. Even though it is not in the medical standards directory your contract with the AF is to fly. Being unable to do your AFSC duties can trigger the med board. It is a fine line we all walk in this process.

Just be careful. Even though it is not in the medical standards directory your contract with the AF is to fly. Being unable to do your AFSC duties can trigger the med board. It is a fine line we all walk in this process.

I understand what you are saying but it is one of not meeting flying class physical standards opposed to retention standards. So this would just be a standard waiver process not a MEB. Even with a denied waiver at the worst it's DQ from flying and a cross train.

I understand what you are saying but it is one of not meeting flying class physical standards opposed to retention standards. So this would just be a standard waiver process not a MEB. Even with a denied waiver at the worst it's DQ from flying and a cross train.
Understand and agree I have just seen a few people 9A the last. Few years then denied cross training. They then sat administration duties and separated after their enlistment.