Please help me, Im new and need help/advice. Jason please help!?

amberklein1

Registered Member
My name is John, I am new to the site but am finding some helpful information so far. I have a few questions and really need some help in filing a claim for the TSGLI benefit. I was injured in Iraq in 2005 from an IED blast that caused me to suffer a TBI by concussion. During this certain event my company was on a mission which was about 2 1/2 weeks long so we were not able to go back to camp or to the hospital or even seek medical due to the extreme mission. Because of all this I was not able to document exactly the date and time that it happened but my commander and fellow soldiers know that it took place and some were also involved. I need help or advice on how to prove the date that the incident took place and that I did indeed recieve a concussion. I am sure I can get in contact with some of the soldiers that were with me to write a statement of support if this will show evidence in lui of medical documentation since it was impossible considering the circumstances. I have been going to the VA hospital for treatment for a few years now since I got out of the military and it is documented in my records that I suffer from all the effects of a TBI due to the concussion, I just don't have medical evidence stating the exact date and time. I have tried to find some of my medical records and while going through some of them I noticed on one of my medical documents (another incident that happened in Iraq from enemy fire which I recieved a purple heart for because of shrapnel wounds) that the medic put the wrong social security number beside of my name to identify me! Also when I put in a claim for TBI it was denied because they couldnt find medical evidence-how are they going to find medical evidence when the medics clearly put down the wrong social security number!??! The board of veterans appeals said they "lost" or "can't find" any of my medical records when it was time to make a decision on some of my claims (thank God I had copies of most everything) The point Im getting to is if they are loosing my medical records and putting the wrong s.s. number down on very important documents, even if I had medical evidence stating my concusion/TBI who is to say they wouldn't have "lost" that too? Is there any way to get letters of support from my healthcare professionals and military buddies that witnessed these accounts to show proof of this instead of having to have the documented information that was impossible to get? Surely there is a way around this. If it helps any, my primary care doctor at the VA wrote a statement saying that I suffer from TBI. My psychiatrist is also aware of all of this and he could write a statement which Im sure he wouldnt mind to do. My medical records also state I suffer from most of the side effects of a TBI, I am just not "diagnosed" and awarded disability for it yet. I know I would qualify for the TSGLI benefit based on my TBI from my concussion because I need helo with the ADLs such as my wife reminding me to wash my back or my hair in the shower because I can't remember if I did it already or not, she has to help me transfer because I get dizzy and loose vision or get blurred vision from the side effects of the TBI. I suffer from severe migraines because of the TBI and they sometimes affect my balance and my wife has to be with me to make sure I don't fall, etc. I did have SGLI while I was in Iraq and qualify based on the list of qualifications, the only thing is proving the specific date and time. I was also not diagnosed with the TBI within the 2 year timeframe, only because they "lost my records" but I did suffer from these effects during the time period and it is still ongoing. Can anyone please help or offer advice as to what to do? I am begging you all, I have lost absolutely everything I had and could have ever dreamed of having, from a brand new home and 2 cars to all of my household furniture and personal clothes and belongings because of what the VA and government has done to me. I was going to college fulltime and recieving my GI bill benefits for close to a year until all of a sudden the VA contacted me and said they were cutting out my benefits and garnashed the little bit of disability I did have because I was taking my classes online (my severe ptsd doesnt allow me to be in a classroom setting with a lot of people) so that was a disability and I had to take my classes online. I appealed their decision and it was eventually overturned but by that time I had already lost everything! I thought I did the right thing by serving my country but I am getting screwed over now! What should i do? please help.

I am kinda going thru the same situation you are, except I am still on Active Duty orders with a CB-WTU going thru an MEB. Several issues stood out to me in your post.

First, the lack of medical attention to determine TBI/Concussion in theater was BIG in 2003-2006. I was hit several times in 2004 as part of CMATT and we did not even HAVE medics. However, luckily the Joint Commendation Medal states, "numerous mortar and rocket barrages" and I received a CIB for additional contact.

Second, when talking to the VA, I was instructed to submit EVERYTHING to include your Post Deployment Health Assessment. Since this is actually electronically signed by a doctor, it is considered official documentation.

Third, I would recommend going to a Neurologist and request additional brain scans. One of the advances in medical testing is the ability to determine brain damage due to TBI/concussions. (I have been thru two TBI studies at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.)

Well I was a tanker (driver) and we were sent on missions just about every day for ied sweeps. I recieved a purple heart, 2 arcom medals with valor,3 AAMs, and a lot more I just can't think of right now. I just recently read somewhere that if a soldier recieves 3 concussions now they are automatically sent home! My tank was hit too many times to count and I suffered at least 3 concussions but back then it was like they didn't care and my 1st SGT didn't want us to report "the small things" although it sounds crazy thats just the way it was but if I remember correctly we had to radio back and at least let everyone know that we had hit an IED and we had to report anytime our tank was hit and required maintenance. I am wondering if there is any way the army board for the tsgli decisions could find those records if I gave them a time frame and all my company info. I did get my platoon SGT to write a statement in support of my claim to verify that the incident did take place but I don't know if that would serve as sufficient evidence. If not, I really don't know what else to do because there was nothing I could do, it wasn't like I could fill out my own injury report. I know when I sign the application for the tsgli claim I give them permission to look at all of my medical records, does that mean they will track them all down for me?
I have been going to a neuro dr. and I just had a TBI c&p rating Jan. 20th but haven't gotten the results yet. I called today and they said I could probably pick up a copy but they wouln't tell me what the results were. As soon as I get a copy of the results I guess I will send in what info I have for the claim and if they deny it I will get a lawyer and appeal. Do you know of any other documentation I could possibly send in that may help?"