Please help me understand my retirement and VA compensation

fcharles81

Registered Member
Now that my MEB is over and I'm clearing my unit, I'm still confused about what my final compensations will be. Here are details:

ARMY
PDRL
Service time: 20 Years 7 months 21 days
DoD: 70%
VA: 100%
High 3 average: $4450

Question is: Would I be receiving 70% of my High 3 or the 51% for time of service. I've been told different things and even legal has given me different opinions. VA is going to be around $3700. HELP!

Thank you in advance.

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
You’ll get the 51% plus 100% VA. For someone over 20 active years it’s called CRDP. You can also apply for SSDI.

fcharles81

Registered Member
Thanks. I've been told that also, but Personnal processing office says 70% (percentage of HIGH 3) plus the 100% VA. Yes they've told me i'm getting CRDP but that's where i'm confused, if it's the 70% or 51%

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Now that my MEB is over and I'm clearing my unit, I'm still confused about what my final compensations will be. Here are details:

ARMY
PDRL
Service time: 20 Years 7 months 21 days
DoD: 70%
VA: 100%
High 3 average: $4450

Question is: Would I be receiving 70% of my High 3 or the 51% for time of service. I've been told different things and even legal has given me different opinions. VA is going to be around $3700. HELP!

Thank you in advance.
Hello @fcharles81

I infer your service time is all active duty. If so, the following will apply:

1. 4450 x 70% = 3115 disability retired pay
2. 3115 reduced by the amount of VA compensation 3700. That amount of reduction leaves zero retired pay.
3. 20.583 AD years x 2.5% = 51.46% longevity multiplier
4. CRDP is 4450 x 51.46% = 2289.97 paid by DFAS each month based on the info you provided
5. You will also receive your VA comp.

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">