Please Help - not service connected on DOD LDES. VA ratings?

Rasfetch

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi,

The DOD found me unfit with no benefits (not service connected). I am on LDES so I have to submit my VA claim myself.

I can appeal the DOD decision to an FPEB, and based on my research and the evidence I have, I believe I would win the appeal. However due to some personal circumstances I will likely not take the time to appeal and plan to just submit a claim to the VA. Really all I'm concerned about is having my blood thinners paid for and being able to use the VA for follow up ultrasounds/hematology appointments. My questions are as follows:

Does the VA require more/less/the same amount and type of evidence that the FPEB would require in order to find service connection?
I have a letter from my VA hematologist stating that my condition is absolutely service connected, does that usually suffice to create service connection with the VA?
Would I need to get additional medical screening, etc... from the VA in order to submit my VA claim or would everything in my medical record from the VA and statements from my doctors be all that is needed to submit the claim?
Will the fact that the DOD found my injury not service connected combined with the fact that I didn't appeal their decision, affect the VA's judgement on my case?

Thank you all for the help.

If doesn't affect the VA who are typically more liberal with interpretations. I would link up with a free VSO to help you with the claim or a VA claim advocate if you have one on the installation. You will most likely be scheduled an exam for rating purposes. Please see the two attached rating formulas and it will give you guidance not sure which one applies to you.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1579139135270.jpg
    FB_IMG_1579139135270.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 9
  • FB_IMG_1579139038190.jpg
    FB_IMG_1579139038190.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 9
If doesn't affect the VA who are typically more liberal with interpretations. I would link up with a free VSO to help you with the claim or a VA claim advocate if you have one on the installation. You will most likely be scheduled an exam for rating purposes. Please see the two attached rating formulas and it will give you guidance not sure which one applies to you.
Thank you for the response, so when you say the VA is usually more liberal with ratings, you mean they are more likely to find something service connected than the DOD is, correct?

Also I have contacted 3 different VSOs and all of them have told me they won’t start working on my claim until I’m discharged. And when I ask them what they’ve seen in the past with similar cases and whether they’ve been rated/service connected in the past they just say “I’ll tell you the same thing I tell everyone else. If you don’t try you won’t get anything so just call me when you’re discharged so we can submit a claim and we’ll see what happens with it.” Not the most helpful...

Yes they are more lenient with SC. AS for VSO's you have to sign agreements before they can really help you I think it's a form of ethical rules so they are not too helpful till then.