cnaknight

Registered Member
So I was placed on TDRL for mental health for bipolar and MDD, I fought three times and finally got 30% DOD TDRL. I had my first eval and I was dropped to 10% separate with severance. I am now requesting a formal board and should hopefully be hearing from an attorney soon. But has anyone been through this board as a civilian? What should I expect? How long will it take to get a lawyer and a date to appear in front of a board? I have a million questions and would love some guidance. Thanks!

So I was placed on TDRL for mental health for bipolar and MDD, I fought three times and finally got 30% DOD TDRL. I had my first eval and I was dropped to 10% separate with severance. I am now requesting a formal board and should hopefully be hearing from an attorney soon. But has anyone been through this board as a civilian? What should I expect? How long will it take to get a lawyer and a date to appear in front of a board? I have a million questions and would love some guidance. Thanks!
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

From an U.S. Army perspective while still placed onto the DoD military TDRL for the past 3.9 years, I had requested and attended (via telephonically) a FPEB hearing which resulted in my continued placement onto the DoD TDRL for another 12 months; that's only in my particular situation for PTSD and MDD with severe psychosis.

As such, historically in 2015, it took a total of two months processing time upon receipt of the TDRL DA Form 199 until the completion of the TDRL FPEB hearing; that's for this specific timeframe only. Hopefully and currently while in the TDRL re-evaluation process, this specific timeframe has improved at this particular point in time from an U.S. Army perspective of course. What's your military department which placed you onto the DoD TDRL?

Remember, each military department's processing of DoD TDRL cases has it's own approximate processing time frames. Moreover, individual TDRL results shall definitely vary as based upon the availability of all information pertinent to the DoD TDRL re-evaluation process. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Last edited:
I was placed on TDRL by the Navy, I am just nervous about trying to go to a formal hearing as a civilian and working with a lawyer across the country. i have to prove that I am still unstable and it is hard to do that. Any advice?

I was placed on TDRL by the Navy, I am just nervous about trying to go to a formal hearing as a civilian and working with a lawyer across the country. i have to prove that I am still unstable and it is hard to do that. Any advice?
I can't help but think if you got a diagnosis from a DR. that you paid for yourself(Not a VA one) it might help.

In this situation, the decision is going to be made of off the medical evidence that is presented. I would not worry so much about the distance between you and the lawyer, but rather what evidence the lawyer can present to the board, that shows your condition(s) have not improved during your time on TDRL.

You may need to give him statements from employers, friends and family to paint the picture, especially if your medical treatment notes support a 10% rating.

In my opinion, to be potentially successful at a FPEB hearing while on DoD military TDRL in the DoD LDES PEB process, you must have medical evidence and/or medical documentation showing that your Bipolar and MDD PEB-referred "unfit for duty" medical condition is still "permanent and unstable" for DoD rating purposes at a 30% or more disability rating in accordance with the criteria as annotated in 38 CFR VASRD. Do you have other medical evidence and/or medical documentation available for presentation at the TDRL FPEB hearing?

As such, attending the TDRL FPEB hearing as a civilian (e.g., a military disabled veteran) and having a long distance working relationship with the assigned TDRL PEB attorney should not be issues at least from my previous TDRL FPEB hearing experiences. Hopefully, your forthcoming assigned TDRL PEB attorney is well experienced and can represent your TDRL case accurately.

Please remember that the assigned TDRL PEB attorney can only represent your TDRL case with all available medical evidence and/or medical documentation in support of an appropriate decision. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!