Possible ADSEP/Meb, Recent Article 15

HeinekenCoC

Registered Member
I'm in the Navy (2 years) and have a question about my current situation. I've had severe depression with suicidal ideation for the last year after I was in a terrible car accident. I went to Mental Health back in February voicing my concerns (we were deploying and I was having second thoughts about being able to handle it). I didn't tell her about the suicidal ideation but the psychiatrist insisted to give it a try and assured me that if things were bad there were resources on the ship to get help. She diagnosed me with mild adjustment disorder and basically said I was good to go. We deployed and it was miserable. My life was made even more miserable by my chain of command. Multiple Sailors filed EO complaints over hazing/bullying, I personally filed a complaint to IG, but nothing was done. I went to mental health on the ship a few times but I was given packets on anxiety and was basically told to suck it up.

During deployment there was an incident where I got into an argument with a Sailor in the shop and my chain of command took the opportunity to put me on report. I went to DRB, XOI, and then Mast and got hit under Article 134 (indecent language). The other Sailor received no punishment.

Anyway, the Captain hit me with half months pay and that was that. I soldiered through the deployment (even though at one point I was suicidal but kept it to myself) and things haven't really changed for me. I'm constantly depressed, it's affecting my performance, and I've received quite a few counselings since I've been here (for dumb things like leaving my CAC in a computer mostly but they're still on paper).

I'm going to mental health on Wednesday now that deployment is over and I'm fully intending on being upfront and honest about things with my psychiatrist. I'm sure she'll try to say its adjustment disorder but I don't care since it's been over six months. I deployed but I really should have stood up for myself and put my foot down. I just want out and am okay with being chaptered out but the NJP and counselings I have on record make me think I'll receive a general discharge which would strip me of any benefits. My performance average is above a 3.0 but I hear with Chapters the characterization of the discharge is at the CO's discretion.

What can I do? Will I get an honorable discharge? Is there any way to prove my depression/anxiety/adjustment disorder was affecting my work? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Take care of your health, the rest will fall into place. Try not to think too much about the past, nor the future. Concentrate on solving today's issues.

I agree fully with @gsfowler! What can you do today to be in better health, a better person and lastly a better sailor. Your health is #1.

Very sound advice above. I will only add, try and communicate your health issues with your CoC, and seek to improve your mental health, learn some techniques that work for you to help cope. Remember that the military has a lot of good resources available. Mental health services and Chaplains are great resources that most jobs don't have when you are just starting out, and no matter what career you have, or what school you go to, or what family you belong to, life is going to have stressors, so think of this as an opportunity to tackle this serious health condition, to grow and become a healthier you, that will benefit you for the rest of your life. Communicate that message to your CoC and follow it up with your actions and I will almost guarantee that you will come out on top, and will earn your CoC's support and respect. I have been in many leadership positions in my time in the Navy, and you maybe surprised how much they do care, and how many mountains they will move for you, if you show that you are trying. It is in everyone's best interests to see you succeed.

UPDATE: Went to mental health at a Naval medical facility and was recommended for Adsep (fine by me). Psychologist then calls me and tells me that the command denied the request and is forcing me to go through the ship’s mental health channel (which is terrible).

I was found unfit for Naval service but the ship is forcing me to go through them (the worst medical treatment ive ever received). I have no idea what to do. What options do I have?