Possible MEB upcoming

biscuitsjam

Registered Member
I am a captain in the Army with 14 years of service, currently in command. I'm suffering from pain, stiffness, and weakness in my hands and other joints, as well as digestive troubles, and chronic fatigue. I have an appointment with a neurologist and an order to do blood tests. The doctors have suggested Chronic Chagas Disease as the most likely cause, with the possibility of various other autoimmune or viral infections.

My health has declined substantially over the last 4 years. I can still perform all my duties, but I don't think I'll be able to make it to 20.

I don't want an MEB. I also have lots of injuries over the course of my career that I've never documented properly. Going to medical appointments makes it harder to command, and if I get a diagnosis for a serious ailment, I'm coming out of command early. I know what I need to do, but it's not what I want.

So, my question - I've found information on parasitic infections and the VA (they are rated as 100% while "active") but nothing at all on Chagas specifically. As this is a chronic incurable parasitic infection, when would they consider it "active" (it will increase or decrease in severity, but without clear boundaries of active or inactive phases)? Is it always an automatic MEB? Also, since there are a lot of possible related health issues from Chagas (nerve, colon, and heart damage especially, but also damage to other organs) would this extend a possible MEB timeline? Many thanks.