Possible Meb?

WilliamH

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello, first time posting on here and was hoping someone could help me. I've been in the airforce about four years and last year was diagnosed with sleep apnea for which i use a oral appliance for. Three weeks ago I was diagnosed with asthma from Tripler army medical and am scheduled to see my PCM in two weeks for the follow up. I was prescribed Advair, Singular, and albuterol. With the sleep apnea and now being newly diagnosed with asthma along with exercise induced asthma, what are the chances that I might be medically separated? Thank you.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
The OSA will not normlly result in separation. How severe is your asthma? What would you like to happen?

WilliamH

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thank you for the reply! The asthma is not good, I have to use my inhalers multiple times per day and running makes it worse which is ironic because I love to run, but I had a asthma attack at the gym a few days ago even after using my albuterol before I worked out. I honestly havent thought about what I want, getting out might seem like a good option, but I talk to them in two weeks about everything. I didn't know if they looked at both of the conditions, the sleep apnea and asthma together as a determination as opposed to just one or the other. I also have aritis in back that isnt great either.

StellarAirman

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You have to figure out what you really want. You can’t let others decide on your career for you unless you don’t mind taking a backseat on everything. What branch are you?

WilliamH

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Airforce, I mean it happend pretty recently so I haven't had much time to think it through, but I've been having asthma attacks when I run and I've always been in really good shape, i'm just trying to figure out what their perspective is going to be, just anxious about it all.

WilliamH

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Airforce, I mean it happend pretty recently so I haven't had much time to think it through, but I've been having asthma attacks when I run and I've always been in really good shape, i'm just trying to figure out what their perspective is going to be with having sleep apnea already listed. just anxious about it all.

StellarAirman

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I totally understand. Asthma is in fact an unfitting condition that does not meet retention standard.

However, your PCM and other health providers check to see how much it affects your AFSC. Does it keep you from performing the standard? You will have to sit down and have a serious discussion with your PCM. You just don’t get medboarded for having certain conditions.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">