Possible medboard, I need advice

geuxtime

Registered Member
I am a 20 year old Airman in the USAF and I proudly serve. Airforce is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I love my job and I love my base. Recently I was admitted into the ER for a absess that developed in my Lower region and it was surgically removed. Doctors found I have swollen intestines and performed a colonoscopy. I was told to be prepared to be diagnosed with Crohns or UC. I have had no symptoms up till now, and I have returned to duty with no implications. The absess was the only thing that stopped me from working. I have excellent PT scores and haven't bend in trouble. I was told this would most likely end in a prompt discharge and medboard, while others have said if it's mild, they will leave me alone. My job is maintainence and I can do every aspect of my job without trouble. I am anxiously awaiting to deploy soon, however due to these implications I probably won't. I'm concerned about being discharged, I have bills I need to pay and I can't afford to pay health insurance or anything if I'm kicked out. I will need to sell everything I own and start over again. My leadership has basically told me "life sucks" and to deal with it as I go. I have been stressing and loosing sleep, and frantically trying to prepare for the worst. ( writing resume, looking for work, getting certifications) I've been told I'm freaking out and I know I am. But I don't know what to expect. I've had zero issues prior to military. I don't know what kind of discharge I would receive. I just need advice. I don't know if I should even go to the ADC or not.

I appreciate the help

I am a 20 year old Airman in the USAF and I proudly serve. Airforce is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I love my job and I love my base. Recently I was admitted into the ER for a absess that developed in my Lower region and it was surgically removed. Doctors found I have swollen intestines and performed a colonoscopy. I was told to be prepared to be diagnosed with Crohns or UC. I have had no symptoms up till now, and I have returned to duty with no implications. The absess was the only thing that stopped me from working. I have excellent PT scores and haven't bend in trouble. I was told this would most likely end in a prompt discharge and medboard, while others have said if it's mild, they will leave me alone. My job is maintainence and I can do every aspect of my job without trouble. I am anxiously awaiting to deploy soon, however due to these implications I probably won't. I'm concerned about being discharged, I have bills I need to pay and I can't afford to pay health insurance or anything if I'm kicked out. I will need to sell everything I own and start over again. My leadership has basically told me "life sucks" and to deal with it as I go. I have been stressing and loosing sleep, and frantically trying to prepare for the worst. ( writing resume, looking for work, getting certifications) I've been told I'm freaking out and I know I am. But I don't know what to expect. I've had zero issues prior to military. I don't know what kind of discharge I would receive. I just need advice. I don't know if I should even go to the ADC or not.

I appreciate the help

Has your PCM told you for sure that he/she is initiating an MEB? If so, when?

My PC suggested to my MTF I be medboarded and my MTF said they are going to put a package together if they can confirm it's crohns

If and when the diagnosis of UC or crohns comes back, your PCM will have to determine if your condition is stable. If the condition is not limiting your performance at the moment, there are waivers. The DAWG will review your history and make a decision to push your case forward for a possible board.

I know the uncertainty of the situation is very stressful, but a lot of folks on this forum are here to support you. Hang in there.

Crohn's in itself is not an automatic disqualifying condition.

The various levels of severity would include how much it affects in regards to malnutrition, anemia, and overall health to name a few.

If you and your doctor can work out a treatment plan that allows to do your do your job, be deployable, work out, etc., there should be no reason for you to worry about a medical board.

In a large percentage of cases, you have to receive care for the condition over 6 months up to a year or more before they will consider you for a med board. This gives you a chance to recover and get back in the game with a sustainable treatment plan.