Post 9/11 GI Bill BAH Amount Incorrect

Hawkeye99

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Have any of you experienced this?

VA is saying they are going to pay me $16 a month less than what the BAH amount is for my school's zip code in Denver, CO. I was thinking about just calling the 800 number, but I was wondering if there is a reason for this that I don't know about. Is this normal?

It can go both ways. The VA does not exactly use the e5 with dependent rate dollar for dollar. Some areas its a little more, some a little less.

In OC, CA (2016) I was getting paid $2508, however when you query the rate it is $2475

Have any of you experienced this?

VA is saying they are going to pay me $16 a month less than what the BAH amount is for my school's zip code in Denver, CO. I was thinking about just calling the 800 number, but I was wondering if there is a reason for this that I don't know about. Is this normal?
Are you physically attending any of your courses at the school in Denver, or are all of your courses online? If the courses are all online, the rate is $840.50 per month regardless of where the school is located.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/...ources/rates/ch33/ch33rates080117.asp#HOUSING

It can go both ways. The VA does not exactly use the e5 with dependent rate dollar for dollar. Some areas its a little more, some a little less.

In OC, CA (2016) I was getting paid $2508, however when you query the rate it is $2475
That's interesting, their website states that they do. Is it possible that they are just making errors?

Are you physically attending any of your courses at the school in Denver, or are all of your courses online? If the courses are all online, the rate is $840.50 per month regardless of where the school is located.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/...ources/rates/ch33/ch33rates080117.asp#HOUSING
All my classes are physically on campus. :)

That's interesting, their website states that they do. Is it possible that they are just making errors?

All my classes are physically on campus. :)

I asked my VR&E counselor about it and the answer was "we use a different pay chart"

How would VR&E be paint different rates? Where are their rates located I wonder? I just got accepted and would like to know :)

Ask you VR&E counselor. From what my counselor told me it has to do with some locality and COLA pay things that differ slightly from the BAH rate table.

By using that link, then comparing it to the BAH calculator from DFAS, I was just given these numbers for a school in my current locality.

Vets.Gov rate given: $2681.00

DFAS BAH Calculator E5 with Dependents: $2745.00

Quick search comes up with this...

https://militarybenefits.info/monthly-housing-allowance-mha-for-post-911-gi-bill/

GI Bill Comparison Tool for MHA/BAH Rates

See the GI Bill Comparison tool for actual BAH Rates at your school. Do NOT use the BAH Calculator to determine your GI BILL BAH as the rates are slightly higher for student veterans. Read how the Forever GI Bill changes will make the rates the same for new enrollees.
Thanks for finding that. Am I interpreting that correctly, that the "GI Bill BAH" should actually be higher, not lower? I'm curious why it's different at all. Is it simply the 1% reduction issue stated in the other link?

Thanks for the info. Looks like mine is $100/month less than regular post 9/11 rates.

I think there may be something wrong with the G.I. Bill Comparison Tool. I went to a Community College last year (Fall and Spring 2018) and the G.I. Bill Comparison Tool show the housing allowance is $1,799 which is what I got pay each months for those two semester. Just look at the G.I. Bill Comparison Tool a moment ago and now it is showing the housing allowance for that Community College as $1,647. That a different of negative 152 dollar. So yeah there is definitely something wrong with the G.I. Bill Comparison Tool.

Here another thing, I just transfer to a different College in another city for Fall 2018 Semester and my housing allowance according to the G.I. Bill Comparison Tool is 1,350. Today I got pay $1,334 a differences of 16 dollar. Here another things, I start Fall 2018 Semester on 27 August and on August 31, I got pay 177.87. That about $35.574 dollar a day or $1,067.22 for 30 days or $1,102.794 for 31 days if I take 177.87 divide by 5 day. If I take 177.87 divide by 4 I get 44.4675 dollar a day or 1334.025 for 30 days which is what I got pay today (few cents different). Does that mean that I went to school for 5 days in the month of August but only got pay for 4 days? I don't know what last year housing allowance is for this College I just started, but if I remember correctly the new BAH rate start in September for those who started school.