Post 9/11 GI Bill question

worriedAF

PEB Forum Regular Member
I keep getting the runaround on this question, if someone is seperated with a condition found to have existed prior to enlistment and not service aggravated but HAS completed the 3 year prerequisite to get 100% of their 9/11 GI Bill, will they still be eligible?

It looks like I am getting MEB'd and I am extremely concerned that although I know my condition is service incurred i understand that I might get screwed. If anyone could please help me with this I am extremely worried I won't be able to afford to go back to school when I get out

Short answer: Yes, you are eligible for 100% of the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill because you have 36 months of service. Feel free to email me (click on 'carnelli53' in the top left corner of this post, scroll down to email) any further questions you may have.

Hey guys, another question about 9/11 GI Bill.

I served for 26 months. 80%. But, I was medically discharged...so that would be 100%. BUT, the VA education guy was saying that since I'm only TDRL that the med doesn't qualify me....until I go PDRL (or something else happens :) )

So, I was just thinking about something....it shouldn't matter if I'm TDRL or not. As of right NOW I am discharged and due benefits as is. So that should be the 100% correct. DD214 Member copy 4 says out due to medical.

Any input? Thank you.

Chinook,

he VA education guy was saying that since I'm only TDRL that the med doesn't qualify me....until I go PDRL (or something else happens :) )
This statement made by the VA education guy is not true.

The law states that if you are discharged due to a service-connected disability, you are entitled to 100%. It does not matter if you were separated with severance, placed on the TDRL, or placed on the PDRL.

I am on the TDRL and have a letter from the VA stating my 100% eligibility for the Post 9/11 GI Bill (and I'm someone who waived the original GI bill in favor of a student loan repayment program in my service contract).

I think it's clear in your case (that is, based off the facts of your case I've gathered from reading your posts) you are entitled to 100%. You should apply for the benefits as soon as possible, even if it is the case that you are unsure of your educational future. Once you are ready to go back to school, you can simply present the VA's letter so they do not have to verify your eligibility all over again.

Hope this helps!

Thank you carnelli,

I filled out the 9/11 paperwork about 6 weeks ago. The VA said they had all the info. Then the guy said that since I'm just TDRL that I would only be able to get 80% (for my 26 months of OIF)until I was placed on the PDRL list. I didn't know about the law-thank you!!! I just figured it wasn't right. This TDRL thing throws a lot of people off.

I plan on taking 4 specific classes ( 2 at a time on line). I need them before I can start my Masters in Sport and Exercise Science. Its ironic that my degree is exercise science and I can only walk slowly now :rolleyes:. But, its what I can share with others. Right now I'm really focused on keeping us injured folks moving and finding ways to motivate :)

So again, I appreciate your input. I'll get back in touch with the VA and get the letter :)

Can anyone point me towards some documentation to back this up so I can have a hard copy to keep with my records for the VA? I appreciate the help, just wanna make sure I keep everything together trying to track all this damn paperwork!

Go to Pamphlets - (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs GI Bill) and click on the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) Pamphlet link. Under the How much will I receive heading it states that "If you served for at least 30 continuous days and were discharged due to a service connected disability" you qualify to receive 100% of the benefits. If you click on the Information about eligibility & payments link instead, it will expain that you can be medically discharged for conditions that existed prior to service and be eligible for the GI Bill, but i'm pretty sure it has to be honorable.

it will expain that you can be medically discharged for conditions that existed prior to service and be eligible for the GI Bill, but i'm pretty sure it has to be honorable.
If anyone is granted Post 9/11 GI benefits under the above circumstances (where you have a condition that existed prior to service and was found not to have been aggravated by service) please let us know in this thread!