27 Sep 2018 - Meeting with PEBLO & MSC
28 Sep 2018 - Phone meeting with JAG
05 Oct 2018 - NMA submitted by command
10 Oct 2018 - C&P Exams Completed
16 Oct 2018 - NARSUM submitted
23 Oct 2018 - MEB Completed
29 Oct 2018 - Signed Statement of Patient
31 Oct 2018 - Case sent to PEB

Now I wait for the IPEB findings and then I guess either it will be formal board or I will be processing out.....

27 Sep 2018 - Referred MEB
21 Nov 2018 - UNFIT finding case being forwarded to VA for ratings

How long does it normally take from PEB preliminary findings of unfit and being forwarded to VA to get the ratings and start the clearing process?

@jonathan.a.brodeur hard to say, my PEBLO says eight weeks to make it back to the PEB. I have been following about ten people on here who have gotten thier findings back within three-four weeks after PEB sent them to the VA. It's hard to determine. What ratings are you hoping for and when are you wanting to be out by?

Once your findings come back, if you accept them.... you can then choose your last day fro like 30-90 days. I am preparing myself mentally for a formal board just because most of the people I have seen on here with Radiculoathy have had to go to the formal board to prove to the PEB that the condition is UNFITTING.

@OllieT, I am hoping for 100 percent due to the other issues which are wrong and the PTSD could be rated 50-70 percent. I am hoping to be released by mid March after terminal leave, it seems feasible with the holidays and all.

@jonathan.a.brodeur that seems like a realistic time line, with 16 conditions, I'm sure that you'll see your 100%. Let me know when you get your finidngs back as our timeline is pretty similar!!

@jonathan.a.brodeur I'm hoping for release around March-April but I will not accept findings less than 30% DOD and 90% VA. If they low ball me then I will be going to a formal board and request a VARR. I'd like to be PDRL but I don't mind getting a TDRL because I will be needing another spinal fusion in a few years so my issues will most likely get worse which will increase my rating when that bridge comes to cross. I really just want Tricare to cover my next spinal surgery. The Navy has half fixed me at this point in time. lol.

@jonathan.a.brodeur I'm hoping for release around March-April but I will not accept findings less than 30% DOD and 90% VA. If they low ball me then I will be going to a formal board and request a VARR. I'd like to be PDRL but I don't mind getting a TDRL because I will be needing another spinal fusion in a few years so my issues will most likely get worse which will increase my rating when that bridge comes to cross. I really just want Tricare to cover my next spinal surgery. The Navy has half fixed me at this point in time. lol.

Hear anything back on your findings yet?

Hey @DCharlez32 unfortunatley I haven't heard anything back yet. My PEBLO says the VA is taking about 8 weeks to get back to the PEB. My Ebennies and VA.gov hasn't changed so I don't think that they have even started processing my case yet. How is your case coming along?

Hey @DCharlez32 unfortunatley I haven't heard anything back yet. My PEBLO says the VA is taking about 8 weeks to get back to the PEB. My Ebennies and VA.gov hasn't changed so I don't think that they have even started processing my case yet. How is your case coming along?

Ebennies still says pending decision apporval, but no update. Still waiting on VA for findings. We probaly won't hear anything back until after the holidays.

27 Dec 2018 - Ebennefits changes from "review of evidence" to "preparation for decision"

27 Dec 2018 - Ebennefits changes from "review of evidence" to "preparation for decision"

Hey any update on ratings from your peblo? I know both our cases were forwarded to the VA around the same time. My ebennies changed from "review of evidence" to "preparation for decision" at the beginning of this month on the 3rd.

Hey @DCharlez32, I have had no update as of yet. I'm sure we will hear something around the mid-end January. Yours will most likely come before mine and mine just changed to "preparation for decision" today.

Hey @DCharlez32, I have had no update as of yet. I'm sure we will hear something around the mid-end January. Yours will most likely come before mine and mine just changed to "preparation for decision" today.

so i checked mine and had the words wrong, it actually says "pending decision approval" and that is what it changed to on the 3rd, so I am not sure the difference in the two

@DCharlez32, if yours is "pending decision approval" its certainley ahead of mine in the process. I think it goes back to the PEB QA phase before our PEBLO's are given the rating percentages..... they should really introduce a tracker so that we can better prepare our situations before we are given 90 days and you are out.

For Anyone that is interested:

VA Disability Claims Process:
The VA Disability Claims Process is comprised of eight different steps. There are a few factors that will determine how long each of the eight steps will take to be completed, factors such as the complexity of the case, the type of evidence provided by the claimant, and the amount of evidence that needs to be gathered in order to support the claim. It is imperative that you provide as much evidence as possible when submitting your claim in order to minimize unnecessary hold-ups and processing time.
  • STEP 1: Claim ReceivedYour Disability claim has now been received by the VA. If you applied for your Disability online you should be able to see that the claim has been received by the VA within an hour. If you submitted your claim through standard U.S. mail you will need to allow mailing time plus an additional week for the VA to process and record receipt of your claim. Anything you are able to do online will make many of the processes much quicker. Online applications can be completed at the web address listed here: http://www.vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/default.asp
  • STEP 2: Under ReviewYour claim has now been assigned to a representative and is being reviewed in order to determine whether or not additional evidence is needed to support your claim. If there is no additional information needed your claim will be moved immediately to the preparation for decision phase.
  • STEP 3: Gathering of Evidence – The Veterans Service Representative assigned to your claim will now start requesting evidence to support your claim. These evidence requests can be made of you, medical professionals, government agencies and anyone else that might be able to support your Disability claim. If at any time throughout the steps in the claim process it is determined that any further evidence may be needed, from any resource, your claim will return to this step. This is not an uncommon occurrence.
  • STEP 4: Review of EvidenceAll required evidence has been received and is now being reviewed by the Representative assigned to your claim. If upon review it is determined that additional evidence is required the claim will be sent back to step 3.
  • STEP 5: Preparation for DecisionIn this step your Representative has recommended a decision and has begun the process of preparing the necessary documents to detail the decision they have made.
  • STEP 6: Pending Decision ApprovalThe decision recommendation documents are now reviewed, and a final award approval on your claim is made.
  • STEP 7: Preparation for NotificationYour VA Disability Claim decision packet, in its entirety, is now prepared to be mailed to you.
  • STEP 8: Completion of ClaimYour VA Disability Claim decision packet has now been mailed to you via standard U.S. mail. This packet will include all of the details of the decision made, and if your claim was approved it will include details of the awarded benefit you will be receiving. You must allow adequate, standard mailing time for this decision packet to arrive before you contact a VA call center.

What's happening to my claim?
Here's what happens when you've filed your claim. Please note that the information in parentheses corresponds to the stages you may see if you choose to follow up on your claim via eBenefits:
  1. The VA receives your claim. (Claim Received)
  2. A Veterans Service Representative (VSR) examines your claim to determine if the VA needs any additional information to make a decision. (Under Review)
  3. If the VA needs additional information, the VSR requests it from you, your Veteran Service Officer, or may ask for it from the necessary facility or agency on your behalf. (Gathering of Evidence)
  4. Once the VA obtains, or has completed its efforts to obtain, all of the information it needs, the VSR ensures that each issue claimed is ready for a decision. (Review of Evidence)
  5. The VSR electronically routes the claim and supporting information to a Rating Veterans Service Representative (RVSR) for a review. (Preparation for a Decision)
  6. The RVSR decides your claim and makes a final award approval decision after reviewing all evidence in your record, including the initial application, examination reports, and service treatment records. (Pending Decision Approval)
    1. If it is determined that more evidence or information is required, the claim will be sent back in the process for more information or evidence. (Deferred for Further Development)
  7. After deciding the claim, the RVSR routes it to a VSR to input the decision and draft the decision letter. A Senior Veterans Service Representative (SVSR) reviews the completed documents, then authorizes release of the letter and any payment. (Preparation for Notification)

02 Jan 2019 - Ebennefits changes from "preparation for decision" to "pending decision approval"

As you might know, eBenefits is updated by other systems. A VA employee does not enter info directly into eBenefits. I think of it as a pirate system (i.e., it takes from others).

eBenefits provides the following info:

Estimated Completion Information
The time it takes to complete you claim depends on factors like the type of claim and the type of disability claimed.
The estimated dates are based on a statistical analysis of historical processing times for similar claims. Some things you should know:
  • Historical data may not accurately predict current conditions. Your claim may take longer.
  • Dates may change as the statistical analysis is updated.
  • Some claims will take longer than the range of dates given as they are based on an average.

Added:
From another veterans’ website where I spend time:

From a recent related post:
The following is an excerpt from a January 2016 post by a former senior VA employee (including duties as a DRO) and current accredited VSO:

"The guys and gals at the VARO don't pay any attention to it [eBenefits]. Sometimes these 'steps' that are shown in ebenefits are really just one step. For example the RVSR reviews the evidence and makes the decision all at the same time."

-------

I think this is valuable information, particularly if one does not see movement between the various steps or stages.

Ron

Last edited: