Potential Migraine Rating Inputs Requested

NAV LDO

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Since I found the "Conditions and Ratings" page, I figured I'd try to get some input/verification for four of the conditions I am being evaluated for and feel may result in 10% or greater; this is condition #2. My C&P states the following:

1. Diagnosis

------------

Does the Veteran now have or has he/she ever been diagnosed with a headache condition?

[X] Yes [ ] No
[X] Migraine including migraine variants
ICD code: . Date of diagnosis: 1995
[X] Other (specify type of headache): Classic Migraine with aura
ICD code: . Date of diagnosis: 8/24/2015

Other diagnosis #1: Cyclic vomiting associated migraine
ICD code: .
Date of diagnosis: 1995

a. Does the Veteran experience headache pain?

[X] Yes [ ] No
[X] Pulsating or throbbing head pain
[X] Pain localized to one side of the head

b. Does the Veteran experience non-headache symptoms associated with
headaches? (including symptoms associated with an aura prior to headache pain)

[X] Yes [ ] No
[X] Nausea
[X] Vomiting
[X] Sensitivity to light
[X] Sensitivity to sound
[X] Changes in vision (such as scotoma, flashes of light, tunnel vision)

c. Indicate duration of typical head pain

[X] More than 2 days

d. Indicate location of typical head pain

[X] Right side of head

4. Prostrating attacks of headache pain

---------------------------------------

a. Migraine / Non-Migraine- Does the Veteran have characteristic prostrating
attacks of migraine / non-migraine headache pain?

[X] Yes [ ] No

If yes, indicate frequency, on average, of prostrating attacks over the last several months:

[X] Once every month

What do you think this will come back as? To me, it looks like potentially 30%. My issue is that I am stubborn, and based on all the time I already miss for my other issues, I'll just 'push' through the Migraine and not go to Medical, even though my immediate supervisors tell me to go in based on how I look. I hope I'm not killing my case for this based upon my stubbornness. I DO get these 2-4 times a month, depending upon the weather (since I avoid all typical triggers like Red Wine, Cheese [small quantities only], etc.). And yes, they are a bear to deal with at work. Do I need to start going in more often for these when they hit? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I promise, I won't hold anyone's opinions against them if my ratings come back different than what you think!! ;) Any thoughts/inputs would be welcome. This condition, in particular, could be a big difference maker between me receiving overall a 50 or 60, or 60 or 70 percent, depending on how this reads, it could be anywhere between 10 and 30%. Thank you!

I am curious about this as well. I have a migraine dbq and but mine often more frequently than once a month. I'm curious of the migraines occurring more than once a month would deem the 50% rating or would it drop down to the 30% at "once a month"? Any hel we could both get would help a lot.

I am curious about this as well. I have a migraine dbq and but mine often more frequently than once a month. I'm curious of the migraines occurring more than once a month would deem the 50% rating or would it drop down to the 30% at "once a month"? Any hel we could both get would help a lot.
The VA Medical Evaluator said "Once a month" was the most frequent he could input into the system. I questioned it, but he swore that to be the truth. I get 2-3 that last from 1 to 6 days each per month.

The VA Medical Evaluator said "Once a month" was the most frequent he could input into the system. I questioned it, but he swore that to be the truth. I get 2-3 that last from 1 to 6 days each per month.
I have felt, throughout this process, extremely lucky. All of my examiners were extremely nice and after seeing my dbq's I only have a couple complaints with ROM measurements. I have been told my many people in the process what to expect ratings wise and if it comes out that way I won't complain. It sucks that you got put in the position you did, I would talk to some of the veterans of the forum to find out when, and to whom, to make a complaint.

I'll see how the results come back. If I'm not happy with them, I'll appeal, and I will all come out in the wash then, as they say. But I also think (though I hate to do it) that I need to go in to sickcall for every migraine I get to ensure the history shows as much. Thanks for the input!

Any update to the rating recieved?

You SHOULD get 50%.

The docs show "prostrating migraines" which is the correct terminology for the 50% rating and on average once a month over the last several months. Anyone else that has migraines should be keeping a "headache log" and if its a true prostrating migraine, you wouldn't be able to go to work. If this is the case either you can get a note later on stating you were given the day off, signed by your supervisor or commander as evidence or just go to the E.R. and it'll be documented in your records.

My 50% rating stated:
• Very frequent completely prostrating and prolonged attacks productive of severe economic inadaptability
Additional symptom(s) include:
• Characteristic prostrating attacks occurring on an average once a month over last several months.
This is the highest schedular evaluation allowed under the law for migraine.

I got 50% with 8 prostrating and prolonged attacks a month. Your case sounds like 10%, but I hope you get 30%. Also ask about an MRI with Contrast, that's how they found my Inter-Cranial Pressure (3 previous MRI w/o contrast came back fine). Good luck!

I got 50% with 8 prostrating and prolonged attacks a month. Your case sounds like 10%, but I hope you get 30%. Also ask about an MRI with Contrast, that's how they found my Inter-Cranial Pressure (3 previous MRI w/o contrast came back fine). Good luck!

Per the VA, as I did manage to get my VA Ratings FAX'd to me two weeks ago, before I received official word from Navy (which I'm still waiting on, BTW), I did get 30% from the VA, which I'm content with, as I am now getting 2-3 prostrating Migraines that last anywhere from 2-5 days, on average, per month--usually 7-9 days a month on average over the past 6-8 months.

Per the VA, as I did manage to get my VA Ratings FAX'd to me two weeks ago, before I received official word from Navy (which I'm still waiting on, BTW), I did get 30% from the VA, which I'm content with, as I am now getting 2-3 prostrating Migraines that last anywhere from 2-5 days, on average, per month--usually 7-9 days a month on average over the past 6-8 months.

Hi, so you got 30% for having them once a month? Or that's what the paper said?? I just turned in my packet, everything was marked yes like yours, my doctor said I get prostrating once a week, which isn't true. I'm just hoping for 30%.