Predictions anyone?

jasonriv

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Well finally after two years this process is almost about finished since contacting NVLSP about getting a medical retirement discharge. As of May 2020 my pro bono lawyer on my case finished my draft and is finalizing submission.

I receive 100 percent disability from the VA. It’s solely for ptsd and I’ve been on disability for 5 years now. I only served a year and 9 months in the army because at the time I was not aware of my ptsd symptoms. I had a lot of problems with my chain of command at the time and being under a lot of mental pressure I was chapters out with a pattern of misconduct. In 2015 I couldn’t hold a job, I couldn’t focus and I was losing it and needed answers and so I talked to a psychiatrist and the rest is history.

Upon reading my draft application by my attorney I was shocked to find out that

jasonriv

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
my attorney argues that the Army psychiatrist notes reflect my records done by the VA C & P exam notes done by a different psychiatrist in 2015. He believes I should have been referred to a med board and believes I should have been informed about my ptsd symptoms and be referred for tests or treatments. That never happened instead I was chaptered.

my question is if I get a medical retirement, how does that work for me? I only served 1 year and 9 months. Or does an honorable discharge look more promising?

Your thoughts, predictions or facts are appreciated thanks.

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Honorable discharge most likely, hypothetically even if they did refer you to an MEB because of the patterns of misconduct they retain the discretion to pick either chapter so even a medical retirement wasn't guaranteed.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">