Prior AD now ANG Technician, w/ type2 diabetes

AFGirl74

Registered Member
I have 13+ years AD in the Reg AF. I joined the ANG a little over 5 years ago, giving me 18+ years of total service. Currently I am a Technician.
I was recently diagnosed with type2 diabetes. I haven’t told anyone in my CoC, as I am afraid of what the fallout will be.
I believe years ago if you were found to be medically unfit for duty, you obviously couldn’t continue your “civilian” job as a guard technician. So people would get to get both retirements (military & civilian).
Is there anyone who has any information, or a situation similar, that can give some info and shed some light on what course of action I should take and what I should expect to happen.
Just a little background – while on AD I was pregnant and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes; had to go on insulin. After delivery sugar stayed high in pre-diabetes range; brought to the attention during PHA’s, don’t know what if anything was ever documented. I have a few other medical issues that I developed while on AD that I think will work to my benefit. Have had numbness in feet and no arch, have also suffered migraines in which I was on beta blockers for some time, but got tired of taking them. I was also deployed where there was a substantial burn pit that was determined to have long lasting effects on those exposed to it. I was diagnosed with exercise induced bronchial spasms after the exposure, which was while on AD. I am able to complete duties and am currently on oral drugs, 1 pill twice a day.
I truly appreciate any help/information anybody can provide.

Deno

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Do not put off telling your medical section. Be honest and read up on this website. You have plenty of info at your finger tips!!

Marshal

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
a good friend of mine was diagnosed with type 2 and was discharged from the army about 6 months later, he was a full time technician as well. he pretty much was screwed. found out he had diabetes at a mobilization

Chuckie

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You are definitely not screwed. You will either keep your job or lose it with benefits. As a dual-status tech, you would need to keep your military job to stay at your civilian one. If you lose your military job for medical reasons, you are automatically entitled to a civil service disability retirement (the 60/40). Now, whether you get a military disability is another matter. You would have to have your unfitting condition found "in the line of duty" for you to enter into the IDES for consideration for a military disability retirement. Otherwise, you may be found unfit and put out through the "Non-Duty DES" process without consideration for the military disability. At the very least, you may qualify for VA compensation, but it might be a uphill battle to get more than that on the military side. The civil service disability is a pretty good benefit, though.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">