Prior AD now ANG Technician, w/ type2 diabetes

AFGirl74

Registered Member
I have 13+ years AD in the Reg AF. I joined the ANG a little over 5 years ago, giving me 18+ years of total service. Currently I am a Technician.
I was recently diagnosed with type2 diabetes. I haven’t told anyone in my CoC, as I am afraid of what the fallout will be.
I believe years ago if you were found to be medically unfit for duty, you obviously couldn’t continue your “civilian” job as a guard technician. So people would get to get both retirements (military & civilian).
Is there anyone who has any information, or a situation similar, that can give some info and shed some light on what course of action I should take and what I should expect to happen.
Just a little background – while on AD I was pregnant and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes; had to go on insulin. After delivery sugar stayed high in pre-diabetes range; brought to the attention during PHA’s, don’t know what if anything was ever documented. I have a few other medical issues that I developed while on AD that I think will work to my benefit. Have had numbness in feet and no arch, have also suffered migraines in which I was on beta blockers for some time, but got tired of taking them. I was also deployed where there was a substantial burn pit that was determined to have long lasting effects on those exposed to it. I was diagnosed with exercise induced bronchial spasms after the exposure, which was while on AD. I am able to complete duties and am currently on oral drugs, 1 pill twice a day.
I truly appreciate any help/information anybody can provide.

Do not put off telling your medical section. Be honest and read up on this website. You have plenty of info at your finger tips!!

a good friend of mine was diagnosed with type 2 and was discharged from the army about 6 months later, he was a full time technician as well. he pretty much was screwed. found out he had diabetes at a mobilization

You are definitely not screwed. You will either keep your job or lose it with benefits. As a dual-status tech, you would need to keep your military job to stay at your civilian one. If you lose your military job for medical reasons, you are automatically entitled to a civil service disability retirement (the 60/40). Now, whether you get a military disability is another matter. You would have to have your unfitting condition found "in the line of duty" for you to enter into the IDES for consideration for a military disability retirement. Otherwise, you may be found unfit and put out through the "Non-Duty DES" process without consideration for the military disability. At the very least, you may qualify for VA compensation, but it might be a uphill battle to get more than that on the military side. The civil service disability is a pretty good benefit, though.