Pro and cons of CBWTU

sniper563

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
My question is this, I was just told that I qualify for CBWTU, the good thing is there is a CBWTU in my home town of rock island ILL. What would I be giving up if I did decide to put in for it? Will I be losing some of the resources I have at my current WTU which is on And active duty base?

My question is this, I was just told that I qualify for CBWTU, the good thing is there is a CBWTU in my home town of rock island ILL. What would I be giving up if I did decide to put in for it? Will I be losing some of the resources I have at my current WTU which is on And active duty base?

Where did this come from? Most of the CBWTU units have been deactivated and will be standing up as a Community Care Unit (CCU)

Hopefully the CBWTU-IL is not on the chopping block.

If they are willing to send you to the CBWTU-IL, you will still have access to all of the resources at an Active Duty WTU, however the access is remote.

With remote access, you must be patient as you cannot just walk into the SFAC and get immediate help.

I am currently in Wtu and we are still sending people out CBWTU or whatever new name they have gone to. And yes you are correct because I think the Illinois one is on the chopping block.

I have been sitting here at Fort Jackson for almost 8 months. My MEB started on Mid November. By mid January the command turned in a nomination packet to the local WTU. It got turned down because the were shutting it down on April and they never sent the packet up through the WTC channels. I got my unfit memo from the IPEB by the end of February. When I told the Commander that my Pablo said it might take 8 months for the VA ratings to come back and the IDES process to resume he started contacting people at the WTC South Region to get me assigned to a WTU in the North Region. I'm currently a Surplus Soldier in the unit (it's in my ERB), my MOS doesn't even exist in the installation. I go to morning formations and after that, unless i have some administrative paperwork to be taken care of, I'm "outta sight, outta mind." The Command wants me out of unit because I became burdensome at times with my demands and the paperwork they have to process on my behalf. They are also trying to help me as close as possible to my family who did not leave NYC since my initial orders into the Army were only for 4 months (long story). They have actually nice to me, they have been giving me a lot of 4 day passes to go home even when no holidays are involved. Anyway, the new and improved packet is almost complete; it's just missing the PCM statement and LOD which i should get done next week. Meanwhile, I contacted the AW2 program, was found eligible, and enrolled. My assigned AW2 advocate contacted me this week and we will be meeting next week. The reason I'm putting my two cents here is that I'm worried they send me to Fort Drum. I'm hoping for CBWTU (I'm active duty SSG) in NYC, if not then I rather be sent to Walter Reed which is actually much more closer to NYC and is serviced by a Public Transit System. So I'm wondering if anyone here knows how Active Duty Soldiers can be assigned to CBWTU (my PCM put in the Matrix that I require 12 months treatment). The regulation talks about exceptions but they do not list them. The second question is if anyone knows whether a WTU nominee has a say on which WTU he will be assigned. Finally, if anyone knows whether the AW2 Advocate can help out with these issues, especially with assignment to CBWTU considering I want to do a fighting warrior internship or resume my VA Voc Rehab until I'm retired. I appreciate any insight.