Profile for 3+ years no med board

ben4122

Registered Member
Hey new to this forum and I have a quick question. I have a year and a half left on my contract and have a back injury where I have been unable to do anything other than push-ups and waist on the pt test for the last 3 years. I have had surgery, physical therapy, pain management and still in constant pain. I have asked the doctor about a med board and he says as long as I can do my job he won't initiate a med board even though the afi specifies different. I am fine with finishing my contract and my disability rating will be the same no matter if I get med boarded or just separate but the medical benefits for being retired are very different. Can doctors just ignore what the Afi states. A little back story active duty Air Force 6+ years.

Almost_Separated

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Having a mobility restriction on your profile is the key to raising questions of being fit for duty. I went 5 years on a profile without getting boarded. They also didn't see it was issue because I was world wide qualified. I eventually got a PCM who thought it would be best to do the med board even without the mobility restriction. According to my PEBLO initiating a MEB occurs either by the doctors request for any condition they deem unfitting, or if you have been on a mobility restriction for I believe around a year.

What is your AFSC and can you truly perform all aspects of your job?

mxridr

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Yea you need mobility restrictions or unable to do your job. I was on a profile for 4 years for nothing besides waist and sit-ups and I brought up the AFI your talking about and all they said was can you do your job and are you deployable(Run 100 yards, carry 40lbs and I think the last one is if your able to wear body armor). Depending on how your medical staff is you may need to be persistent until they do initiate a MEB if you do require one.

KARobinson3

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The PEBLO should be tracking profiles and high usage. I had to beg to get the code 37 and I have been on almost full profile (waist only) since like 2011.

I finally got them to put the code in because I was getting ready to PCS and didn't want to go to a new place just to be MEB'd. They did get it in a little over a week before I was set to leave. I had to bug a lot of people to get that written down because going off of verbal promises doesn't stop a PCS. ;)

Push your doctor if you want the MEB started. If they ignore you, try the base PEBLO. If that doesn't work, make an appointment with the DAWG president (usually the senior ranking flight surgeon).

mxridr

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The PEBLO should be tracking profiles and high usage. I had to beg to get the code 37 and I have been on almost full profile (waist only) since like 2011.

I finally got them to put the code in because I was getting ready to PCS and didn't want to go to a new place just to be MEB'd. They did get it in a little over a week before I was set to leave. I had to bug a lot of people to get that written down because going off of verbal promises doesn't stop a PCS. ;)

Push your doctor if you want the MEB started. If they ignore you, try the base PEBLO. If that doesn't work, make an appointment with the DAWG president (usually the senior ranking flight surgeon).
Same thing happened to me. Was supposed to PCS last year and then a week before leaving they started a MEB so my orders got cancelled. But a month later they cancelled my MEB cause the DAWG president said and could do my job(except for 10/month at the time) and deploy (said the carrying 40lb requirement included if someone had to help you put on a 40lb backpack you were good). And now I am here a year later with another MEB starting.

ben4122

Registered Member
Having a mobility restriction on your profile is the key to raising questions of being fit for duty. I went 5 years on a profile without getting boarded. They also didn't see it was issue because I was world wide qualified. I eventually got a PCM who thought it would be best to do the med board even without the mobility restriction. According to my PEBLO initiating a MEB occurs either by the doctors request for any condition they deem unfitting, or if you have been on a mobility restriction for I believe around a year.

What is your AFSC and can you truly perform all aspects of your job?
I am comm so sitting behind a desk or fixing computers.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">