Proving CRSC

Globe2280

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have been diagnosed with Ménière’s disease and will be facing a MEB soon. I was reading up on CRSC and saw that if a condition was caused or happened during an exercise that CRSC applies. Also through an instrument of war. In my case I had my first dizziness episode when I was tdy and our plane did an exercise with rapid descents, where the literally drop the plane. We did this several times. I was so dizzy. Went and slept it off in billeting on base. Never went to the doctor. 5 years later I went to the doc with dizziness episodes constantly because it has gotten so bad. Was seen off base by an ENT institute and they diagnosed me with Ménière’s.
I am still active duty, can I get this still in my file that I had the initial onset of Ménière’s during the exercise? Will this satisfy tha approval? I can also get the orders of the tdy/ exercise. What else can I get or do to prove my case?
Thanks

Hello Globe2280,

A collection of CRSC material that might be helpful is at THIS LINK <---

Approved CRSC replaces some of all of the VA offset/reduction of retired pay that occurs when one receives VA compensation as a CH 61 retiree.

Your CRSC application will have to show a nexus between your disability and your service. Basically, the same is true for VA compensation; there must be a nexus between the disability and the service. Nexus is a connection/association.

As you imply, it would be helpful for your military records to show the disability occurred during your service and an approval by the VA for compensation (service connected) is important.
Proof of "combat related" would be necessary for your CRSC application as described in the material linked above.

Recommend you see your military health provider for the problem and discuss the matter with them; that would be a good first step.

Whether your CRSC application would be approved is not something I can forecast. The only predictions I make for CRSC applications is for Agent Orange cases since they are straightforward and relatively easy to prove.

As I mentioned to you in September,
'I spent several minutes searching for Ménière’s Disease associated with CRSC and did not find any cases. That does not mean it cannot be approved; however, the odds seem slim."

Please continue to update your progress in this matter. I wish you the best of luck.

Ron

Edited to add:
I am copying @chaplaincharlie on this reply as he might have some pertinent recommendations regarding the evidence.

Addendum.

The following is from a non-federal source:

If you suffer from Ménière’s disease you may eligible for VA disability benefits, if the disease is service-connected. There is a three step process for applying for benefits.
  • The first step is obtaining a medical diagnosis from a licensed audiologist. And the VA is very strict about this—the audiologist must administer two separate tests: the Maryland CNC test and the Puretone Audiometric Test.
  • For the second step in your case, you must present evidence of how an event or series of events during your service likely caused your hearing loss. Some examples of these kinds of events are loud noises from airplane engines, gunfire, or explosions.
  • To complete the final step toward winning benefits you must obtain a medical opinion that links together the in-service events and your hearing loss condition.
Ron