Psoriasis, Methotrexate, and maybe PSA

AF1989

Registered Member
Hi, first post here. Almost 8 years of service.

I was diagnosed with psoriasis about 6 years ago and have been on methotrexate for about 3.5-4 years now as other treatments have not worked at all, it seems methotrexate was starting to lose effectiveness. I was tasked with a deployment a few months ago and when I went to my PCM to get a 6 month fill of my meds and my PCM canx’d my deployment a few days before I was supposed to leave because of being on methotrexate (a lot of clerical errors lead to them not realizing the medication I was on, I have been very open about what I have been on). The PA put me on a 3-month waiver and told me if I didn’t get off the methotrexate, I would be med boarded. Not realizing that this medication was doing more than just keeping my skin clear I decided to go off it. Almost immediately I began to have skin flare up as well as something new, severe joint pain. Fast forward two months…

I went to the PA today because the joint pain has become unbearable. I told him I’m back on the methotrexate as of about two weeks ago. He put me on steroids at a high dose for a few weeks.

I guess my question is what can I expect and what should I expect moving forward? Should I prepare myself for an MEB and dealing with that? I don’t plan to stop treating myself whether that be, methotrexate/steroids or evening biologics if it should come to that. Is the methotrexate actually something that is Med-Boardable...from my research it is.

Appreciate feedback and what to expect.

Thanks.

PS: I'm not worried about going through Med-Board and everything, I'm just trying to get a good idea of what to expect.

Bwit43

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hey,

I am actually about in your same shoes. Bout to hit 10 years active duty Air Force and diagnosed with psoriasis in 2012 and psoriatic arthritis in 2016. I went as long as I could until the docs said I had to start humira and get MEB’d or get MEB’d because topical steroids and ibuprofen weren’t controlling my conditions any more.

I started humira in March of 2019 and was pushed through an IRILO relatively quick and found out I would be going thru a full MEB around July 2019. I actually finished up my C&P exams at the end of September but have not heard a word from my PEBLO since.

My Derm and PCM kept saying my situation should be able to be returned to duty and my commanders letter said I was doing great and to retain me before the IRILO.

When I got to my VA MSC teleconference, he basically said the odds of staying in were close to zero and my PEBLO backed up his claim by saying their experience only one person was returned to duty and they had to appeal passed the FPEB.

That is my story so far. Of course everyones experience can be different and I am still hoping for a fit for duty from the MEB/PEB, just taking it one step at a time.

Last edited:

AF1989

Registered Member
So today, I got the email that they started the process...more to come. First part is the CC'd letter/form.

eerf123

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Yeah the deployment cancellation was a trigger event that forced there hand evaluate you. I am in a similar situation, I have psoriasis and PSA and am on Humira. I have been told to expect an MEB. For right now they told me I am on the DAWGs watch list.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">