Psoriatic Arthritis and surgeries

FireDawg

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Need advice.
I'm active duty Air Force, E-4 with 2.5 years of service currently deployed in place. I was injured in a training accident a year ago and finally had (R) knee surgery last month. I just last week had an MRI of the (L) knee and I'm waiting for the results to schedule that surgery (ACL). I've also had back pain since the injury and a recent X-Ray- for which I am awaiting on an ortho appointment to discuss those results. I am certain I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis in multiple joints. I have an appointment scheduled in 1 day with a dermatologist. My concern is that the dermatologist will diagnose my psoriatic arthritis, trigger a MEB, and that I won't get my other knee operated on and that my back condition won't be addressed. Should I postpone my dermatologist appointment until AFTER the surgery consultation? Also, if I'm considered unfit for duty due to the PSA, would I qualify for medical retirement based on my limited time in service if I'm rated at 30%? The fact that its been over a year since my injury and I just had my surgery in December is horrible. Also, the disposition of the medical group at this location as that one injury at a time should be addressed which is taking forever. I'm being treated for depression as the injury has affected everything in my life! Still, I'm on the fence about that derm appointment and it possibly precluding me from getting my other injuries addressed while I'm on active duty.

Base PCM says the MEB was triggered with a C-Code and IRILO for the prescribed HUMIRA for Psoriasis. They ordered blood work to indicate signs of psoriatic arthritis. Waiting on ortho appointment next week concerning other knee surgery. PCM states that since the injuries were documented prior to the dermatology appointment, they will still get treated regardless of any DQing conditions that may arise from potential diagnosis of PSA. That is a relief.

An MEB, is not a substitute for treatment. You should not be denied surgery because of the MEB.