PT FAIL or MEB

kingc

Registered Member
so currently I am at about 17 years AD AF. I hurt my leg about a year ago just from running. I also have some crushed disks in my spine which cause me pain but I ignore them for the most part. and does not require me using a profile because I just ignore the pain for the most part.

but I definitely needed a profile for my leg and it simply hasn't healed yet. I cant run on it.

however, the loss of the consistent cardio from my leg injury has made me gain some weight which put extra pressure on my spine. which caused me to have to use a profile to avoid pt failure for runs and situps the last 2 tests i have taken. because it made my spine hurt worse for that portion. I took a full pt test over a year ago but my last 2 have been with waivers for runs and or situps simply because my leg has not healed as fast as I thought it would. on my previous doctor visit I was told that the next time I come in for a profile because of my spine it would initiate an MEB. I really don't want to risk my career.

should I continue with that process and appeal it and does it just go away once I am fully capable of completing all portions of my pt?

should I just take a PT test and risk failing and then just try again once my leg is healed? because once my leg lets me run again I will be able to pass it without a problem.

I would really like to retire at 20. my job has not been affected by this at all and only becomes and issue during pt tests....we basically never deploy.

advice..thoughts?

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I would not go the failure route in the current climate. Reaching 20 is important, but losing 17 years for severance is worse. Can you do the walk?

kingc

Registered Member
I really would rather not fail because of the horrible stigma and climate associated with pt failures. I am coming to my follow up appointment with my PCM. I don't think I could, I tore my calve muscle somehow and it makes walking painful.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
You may have to have a frank conversation with your PCM.

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
In my opinion, the question is not whether you will do a modified PFT or MEB, but rather what you will be doing to improve your health. Go into the PCM office with that goal in mind.

Tell them what you have done, what has worked, what has not and what recommendations can be made to be successful in the future.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">