PT Formation

BB22

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I didn't know where to post this hopefully this is the right place. I am in a serious problem right now, I am getting Med boarded for rapid cycling bipolar disorder which means I have a chemical imbalance and that my moods can change during the day at any moment and I can become extremely energized. I take medication to correct this, but my medication and my mood swings cause major sleep problems this month I have averaged around 3-4 hours of sleep a night sometimes not sleeping at all. I have a permanent profile documenting my medication and sleep problems. I was just prescribed Ambien yesterday. on the 23rd I fell asleep at 2.30 and my alarm went off, but since I was half asleep I foolishly turned off the rest of my alarms and missed formation. That day I picked up my prescription and took it at 8.30 it didn't take affect until around 11.But once I was asleep I was knocked out and didn't hear my alarms at all.
My 1sgt wants to give me a summarized article 15, because of this. I am just asking for advice on what to do. I can't stop taking my medication,because it helps me, but it also causes me to have decreased need for sleep. I know they are going to tell me to take the Ambien sooner, but since the two medications basically fight with each other it takes awhile for it to take affect. I just feel like I am in a no win situation. I thought my 1sgt understood my problems up until this point and never had any issues with him until today, but I guess not.
My squad leader wants me to go to the aid station to talk to the PA to see if he can do something about it, but I don't even know what he could do about it. I was just wondering if you guys had any advice right now I am worried to even fall asleep, because I don't trust myself to wake up tomorrow.

Believe it or not, you are not alone, i had to adjust my sleep schedule and made sure i would take my medication lunesta which helps me sleep but at least a few hours before i go to bed. Hang in there and make sure you keep your chain of command informed. Good luck

Eat all meals way before you you take your ambien. I'm taken Ambien CR, moved up,from Ambien found out taking it after dinner or even hours after has a delayed effect. So eat light and early then pop one in around 1930 and see how that works! With your 1sgt I would love to say you to say to him, go and eat a dead babys fat one! But that is not helpfull. Just play the game and keep your profile in hand and always tell the truth!

I try and be as honest and open as I can with my squad leader and platoon sgt. I take 2 different medications and Ambien. The Wellbutrin has caused my insomnia, I was prescribed the Ambien to counter it. And my other medication has caused me to only have to only eat one meal a day (dinner) I am a walking mess this past year. My pschyiatrist told me 30 minutes I'll try a couple hours prior to bed tomorrow. Thanks for the replies I'll hold off on telling my 1sgt that. I'm sure it would turn my summarized into a company grade really quick, but I'll save it for a rainy day.

zoloft or prozac might be better for you. Im no Artz but me and some of these meds or on a first name! zoloft in a higher dose could help, they low ball us to make us feel good, then a few days later its's like I'm better off drinking than taking some of the med they give you!

Others above have some good advice. I think you need a two pronged approach here. First, your command needs to work with you and find a way to help you. Come up with some ideas, such as friend picking you up, etc. Take the initiative and show them some forward thinking on your part. It might help your CoC relax a bit. It might also help you take the edge off knowing you have a safety net in the morning. Stress and "worry" can have a counter effect on the meds. It's a catch 22, but I am sure you can figure something out. Secondly, with regards to the medications; we all react differently. How ambien interacts with your other medications might not be the best choice. It also may be, I am no expert, but I would consult with your doctor on it. I have been on a trifecta cocktail at night for over 4 years. I had many sleepless nights because I was worried the sedation might be to much and I wouldn't wake up. It's imperative to express these fears with your doctor and you MUST be confident in the opinion given. If you're not, consult with other physicians.

Ambien is often the first "fast acting" sleep medication prescribed. It's designed to work fast and were off fast. It's purpose is to knock you out quick and force you into sleep. If you just started taking it and it's effects don't kick in for a few hours, I would go see the doc soon. It may be the drug interaction or it's just not a sleep aid designed for your body. Other sleep aids, such as sonata and lunesta, have a more delayed onset. Might be options to explore.

My insomnia is complex so I take a trifecta to ensure continued sleep. I take a fast acting sleep aid (ambien, sonata or lunesta) combined with klonopin (relaxes the muscles and decreased nerve activity) and gabepentin (used as a heavy sedative for longer sleep). By using a low dose with three different pills my sleep scheduled is covered from start to finish(6-8 hours) and with that dosage I don't have a hangover effect the next day. It took a few months to figure out the best combo for me and dosage, but once I figured out what worked I started sleeping, no hangover, no fear of not waking up, and chemical dependency was never an issue. I have played some games with myself to ensure I wasn't dependent and to see what effects the changes would have on my body (this goes against what doctors recommend), but I believed it was up to me to learn my body. I would routinely stop 1 or 2 medications every few weeks/months to allow my body to readjust so I didn't have to up the dose. I would also taper down the prescribed dose and see if I could receive the same benefit. I eventually discovered taking the pills at different times helped the most.

Now I am off the fast acting sleep aid (ambien, sonata, and lunesta) and only use klonopin and gabapentin (at a lower dose). Within a month I will be off the gabapentin and using just a low dose of klonopin. Then I will slowly cut that out as well.

Once again this is not a recommendation or what most doctors will tell you, but my MD has supported my decisions and adjustments from the beginning. Trial and error worked for me and after 4 years I am sleeping better with less medications without ever resorting to increasing the dosage. This isn't for everyone, but just my opinion and what worked for me.

Wish you the best........your body needs sleep to heal.

Thank you Pittpan for the reply. Yes I did just start taking the Ambien so I am just starting to experiment with it and see how I react to it. I didn't take it tonight due to the fact I couldn't afford to miss 3 days in a row. 4 am now feels like I've got a full nights rest. I have a follow up with my doctor next week, but am going to the aid station to see what I can do until then. I really appreciate the input from you guys though. 4 years is a long time, but I'm glad you were able to correct it. It gives me a little hope. I've never had any issues in the past and have never been in trouble for the 5 years I've been in. I guess being threatened kind of sent me over the edge a little.

What you can try to do is ask your Psych if they can add sleep to your LIMDU. I can't stand duty, attend PT, or formation due to my LIMDU. Basically summarizing "CANNOT STAND DUTY BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 2100-0600 due to sleep medications" I suffer from MDD, PTSD, and Anxiety and being paranoid and nervous 24 hours a day can be extremely tiresome.

You need to go to your doctor or phychlogigist and there support. Have them work with you and command without that everything will go down hill.

You need to go to your doctor or phychlogigist and there support. Have them work with you and command without that everything will go down hill.
I went to talk to my psychiatrist yesterday, but she had already left for the day. I have an appointment setup for Monday. Hopefully I can get everything fixed then.

If your having a hard time with your meds and waking up in the morning talk to your physiatrist or prescriber and they can write you a profile for late call. I am currently on 6different meds for PTSD, anxiety, depression, and Tbi, my doctor just adds a temporary profile to my permanent profile stating that my meds are very sedating and recommends 0900 work call and my command has been fine with it.

If your having a hard time with your meds and waking up in the morning talk to your physiatrist or prescriber and they can write you a profile for late call. I am currently on 6different meds for PTSD, anxiety, depression, and Tbi, my doctor just adds a temporary profile to my permanent profile stating that my meds are very sedating and recommends 0900 work call and my command has been fine with it.
You are extremely lucky for having an understanding CoC... Most would throw out the profile and threaten/punish people for getting a profile like yours!

You are extremely lucky for having an understanding CoC... Most would throw out the profile and threaten/punish people for getting a profile like yours!
Yeah I am lucky, of course I am on rear d going through this meb so it's a little different. I'm sure if they were back they wouldn't be as understanding.

The thing is my squad leader has been pushing me to get a profile like that and I have been putting it off in fear of that reason. I don't want them trying to make my life harder than it already is, because of a piece of paper. But I also don't want to live in fear if I screw up again I'll get an Art. 15. My mind is already at the point where I don't want to sleep during the week so I don't have to worry about waking up. Lose Lose either way I look at it. Thanks for the input and everything guys.

dont know if it was posted here or not, but there is a very simple remedy to this. your PCM can give you a profile stating that you don't have to be in to work before 0900, or 0930 because of your medication.

Back