PTSD and back injuries

:confused: I am new to the sight. I have viewed many post concerning MEBs and PTSD. I am currently in the middle of an MEB for PTSD. I have been treated now for over a year. Medications do little to help and I am on plenty of them. I have 11yrs of active duty service and I would like to know how a medical retirement and CRSC work together. Anyone know how to compute this? I am currently awaiting my narsums to be completed and I have other existing physical injuries from my years of service. The one that concerns me the most is a former back injury in which I injured my L1, T11, and T12 vertabrae. I was given a waiver to continue my duties and was placed on a P2 profile. I asked my PCM if I should recieve another CT scan or MRI before I get out and he replied VA will take care of it. I am currently taking heavy pain medications for my back at least 3 months out of the year. Due to my occupation, bone degenerative disease is common. Does anyone have advice on how to handle this situation? Should I request an updated review of my back before the narsums are complete?

Jason I would like to say your efforts are appreciated and thank you for your commitment to this forum.

Welcome to the site my friend. Jason or someone with more knowledge with your situation will assist you soon.
The only thing I know as far as CRSC, the PEB has to find that the injury/condition was combat related (I am assuming it is with PTSD) and that will be annotated on the bottom of your PEB findings that you must sign, also here is a link to some basic info on the CRSC
http://www.dfas.mil/retiredpay/combat-relatedspecialcompensationcrsc.html

what service are you in?

again welcome to the pebforum family and the search button is your friend...

Apache,

Related to your back question, I address this on the "back issues, L4/L5, L5/S1" thread. Be that as it may, I would go the least invasive route without drugs and surgery first and give this approach a fair chance.

Chiropractically,
dcudoc

Thank you for the replies. In response to the first reply, yes unfortunately my PTSD is combat related. It has been documented through video, awards, and doctors. I have been told I will most likely recieve TDRL. Also, thank you for the second post, it is nice to have a professional recomendation. Thank you. I still have to ask the question, do I need to have my back considered for the narsum. In short I wedged all three of my vertabrae 25% give or take, and I have alot of pain throughout the year. I got off lucky and was returned to flight duty but after performing my duties further the condition has worsened. Any advice concerning the MEB.

welcome,
unfortunately or fortunatley for you i have similar medical issues as well:) i'm sure someone will chime in w/more info.on the ratings stuff. as far as stuff that will make your life easier w/the MEB piece, i would ensure that all your stuff is well documented from this point on. get copies of EVERYTHING and start keeping folders. if you haven't already, i would start your paperwork w/the VA, through any of your local veterans agancies. w/the PTSD piece, i assume that you are in a treatment program/therapy? if not go and stay w/it. just like w/your back injury.if you have any questions don't hesistate. i try to check in here everyday. good luck.

Hello Apache,

Welcome-In regards to your back condition and the NARSUM, I believe it can be mentioned but as far as getting the condition rated in the MEBPEB process it would be based on whether or not it affects your abilities/inabilities to do your current job based on rank and something else...I forget right now:confused:. Ikes...I thought I was going to be helpful.

However, when you get through the PEB, the VA will probably rate you on it. I'm still learning myself....and I'm sure Jason or Mike or one of the other guys will chime in with exacts....

In addition to my back injury, which is why I was placed on TDRL, I have a lesion in my right femoral head. It was the first thing they found. Since it wasn't the reason I couldn't do my job, I wasn't given a rating on it-but it was noted on the NARSUM.

I don't have my DD214's yet and the VA won't help me at all yet...so I don't know anything about that side of things yet....

As you said, and from what I have read, I do believe you will be placed on TDRL for the PSTD-I think at least 50%....anyway, that's my 2cents worth and I hope I'm on track.....Jason-Mike????

Take care and Hope you feel better.