PTSD due to MST

sw78

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Good evening everyone! Been lurking for awhile and trying to learn from so many people/pages. I do have a few questions of my own (Sorry for the long post). I am currently Active Duty Army and am about to go through a MED Board process (Psychologist submitted request last week to start the process). I have 19 1/2 years (I hit 20 on 30 Jul 19) so my docs have been great in regards to letting me get close to hitting 20 years before starting this process (Spoke to someone who processes packets and they said they’ll help me drag it out if need be). My PTSD is due to Military Sexual Trauma (MST).

I’d love to get any help on one or all of these questions. Thanks everyone:)

1. My MST happened in 2007, but I didn’t seek treatment until 2015. With 4 years of treatment, high dose of 4 different meds and 2 separate IOP (Intensive Outpatient Program) groups I’ve been through and still going through a lot. Do you think 1,500-2,000 pages of paperwork is a good amount historical data? Is it good that I have had 3 or 4 different doctors or Social Workers diagnose me in the past?

2. Has anyone ever had a problem with VA because they were still a good worker (good evaluations) but we’re struggling behind the scenes, if you will? In other words does VA use that against you even though you have your MH diagnosis?

3. Even though I’m Active Duty, do I still need a Nexus Letter or will the VA give me benefit of the doubt with my secondary diagnosis?

4. I’m actually diagnosed with “PTSD” and “Adjustment Disorder with Depressed Mood and Anxiety.” What are your experiences with these 2 different diagnoses? Since the “Adjustment Disorder“ diagnosis is secondary to PTSD, will this be added up like “normal” math instead of “VA math?”

5. Help with VA Form 21-0781a! I plan on taking copies of my own DBQ forms to all of my C&P exams when I get to that point, including VA 21-0781a. I read on another site that I should answer “Yes” or “No” to the 14 markers that they ask on page 3 and how each affect me. Does anyone have experience with this? I added a crap load of other things that I deal with and consider markers to me personally. I feel my behavioral and social changes are much more extreme than 14 questions. Obviously I can’t get pregnant, which is one of the questions so that’s a waste of space to me.

6. Has anyone else gone through the Army MED Board process lately? I’ve read I will be assigned a lawyer since I’m going through a MED Board who will help me go through my medical records to see what I should claim. Is this true? I read to go to a VSO, I’ve read to get my own lawyer. What are your experiences?

7. Mr. Perry or Chaplain Charlie...would either of you be willing to read my personally written letter and my DBQ form?

8. How did you all categorize your claims? I have many other injuries and was told to categorize my paperwork by category and then by date. So in the table of contents, the injury would represent the letter (PTSD -A, Back -B, Left Foot -C, etc.)and the numbers would represent the amount of pages for each. For example PTSD could be A_1-1,000. Back could be B-1-50...and so on. Is this a good idea?

9. Will I receive a P3 profile due to a MED Board? In other words will my “S” on my PULHES be a 3 at any point?

10. What would everyone else do differently with their claim if they could do it all over again?

I'm sorry to hear your story. I'll attempt to answer each of your questions as best as possible.

1. It is not uncommon for victims of MST to wait several years to see out treatment. There are many latent residuals from the trauma that do not manifest for years.

2. The VA will listen to your story, review the current documentation and treat you with the utmost respect.

3. I do not see this as necessary, all of your diagnosis are subsets of anxiety disorders

4. You will not receive more than one mental health rating. There is no such thing as "VA math". The way the VA rates follows all rules of math when it comes to percentages.

5. It is not necessary to take the DBQs to the C&P evaluation, the raters will already have access to everything you need

6. You will have a Attorney assigned to your during the process, they only really assist you at the end of the process when it comes time to review your ratings and make decisions. The will provide the legal guidance to ensure you are fully aware of the election(s) you make.

7. A personal letter can be therapeutic to you individually, however it is not really a requirement of the MEB process and quite out of the ordinary. Work with your providers, get copies of your current treatment notes to make sure there is nothing in them that you find alarming. After your C&P eval get a copy of the exam to review what will be sent to the DRAS. The VSO cannot help you at all until you are a Veteran, therefore you will have no interaction with them and to be honest, they are not very well versed in the IDES. You will be assigned a VA MSC who will work with you (normally through a teleconference) to review your entire heath record and make recommendations on any conditions that you will claim.

8. This is not necessary. I find that if you even attempt to do this the behavior will be seen out of the norm and someone may make a irrational decision that you are trying to manipulate the system. You are a injured service member, not part of the staff that is processing your IDES claim.

9. You will be eventually given a P3 or a P4 profile during the IDES process.

10. Relax and concentrate on getting well.

Thank you so much for your compassion and answering my questions. This is definitely uncharted territory for me, so anxiety is pretty high right now.

Like @gsfowler, I am sorry to hear about your MST. His comments are on target. Referenance #7 I would be glad to assist you in any way necessary. I particularly agree with @gsfowler on #10. Your case is clear and the C&P exams/VA will respond appropriately. With anxiety disorder(s) people tend to worry a lot. Your case is solid and worry will only bring you down more. You can PM me anything you wish me to read.

Mike

It’s great running into true genuine folks. Thank you much sir. I’ll get it over to you in the next several days. Have a good one.