PTSD & Dysthymia. (2nd time on PEB)

Yyzforu

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello all,

I am a long time follower and reader and this is my first time posting.
Short summary:
Jun 2015 I was referred to IDES and started the process. I had a very unsupportive command (if you aren't missing a leg or limb you aren't injured) this command put on my NMA that I was doing my job completely fine. This was entirely wrong, because my job requires me to handle weapons and ammo constantly and I am not allowed to handle any with my diagnosis, so I cannot be complete my job.
Board comes back and says I am "FIT" due to my NMA saying I am doing fine my attorney said that there was no point in requesting a formal board due to the NMA.

Fast forward to now and I am starting the process again. I am curious how this will play a role into my upcoming board for the same diagnosis. My provider says that I should be found unfit and they are shocked I'm still in. I will upload the timeline as it comes in. I am still on medications and my life is spiraling downward. My wife is leaving me because she is overwhelmed with my conditions and how it affects me. I have my dog and I am trying to stay positive, but I am ready to be done with the Marine Corps. It is not fair to the Marines under me to continuously have a failing leader who has numerous appointments. I am hoping the boards are going fast now. I meet with the MEBLO tomorrow again to submit my records.

I have been on LIMDU for 12mos. Currently going back on while waiting for this PEB.

My main question is: Having been boarded twice what is the likelihood I am found UNFIT. The PTSD and depression along with physical ailments impact my social, work, and personal life everyday.

I'd say your odds of being found unfit are greater. The NMA is suppose to follow a format. The format includes a listing of any duties the member can not perform in garrison/out of garrison. Sometimes command thinks they are doing the member a favor by writing a letter slanted toward retention. The length of the diagnosis and the C&P rating will carry lots of weight with the board.

I am sorry to hear about your marriage ending.

My command this go around is all about getting me medically separated. They are definitely in my favor.

I appreciate your remarks about my marriage. I am definitely feeling sad about it, but all I can do is focus on getting better at this point.

My 32 year marriage came to an end during my MEB. It was devastating at the time. But after a while it was much more freeing than painful.

It has definitely added to the struggle. I am ready to get out of the military. I have been diagnosed since 2015 and in and out of treatment.

I would expect as much. It increased my struggle for several months. Then I woke up one morning and snapped out of it. It has been largely forward progress since then.

@Yyzforu I am sorry you are going through divorce. I am dealing with a similar situation. My wife has left me after 10 years together. This news came two days before Christmas. When I showed up to visit family alone (with my road dog Rags) I was like, “Suprise! My life is falling apart!”

My constant fear and anxiety have taken their toll on her. I am always numb and short fused. I have become more and more distant from everyone and everything. The worst part about it all is that I know she will be happier without me bringing her down. What has helped is keeping busy and trying to focus on the positive.

I will always care for her and things are amicable. We all have people enter our lives for a reason and sometimes people have to go their separate ways. The best thing for me is to learn from my mistakes and hope to not repeat them. Unfortunately, lots of veterans with PTSD have experienced divorce and overall have an increased divorce rate.

Keep your head up and know we are all in this together!

@Yyzforu I am sorry you are going through divorce. I am dealing with a similar situation. My wife has left me after 10 years together. This news came two days before Christmas. When I showed up to visit family alone (with my road dog Rags) I was like, “Suprise! My life is falling apart!”

My constant fear and anxiety have taken their toll on her. I am always numb and short fused. I have become more and more distant from everyone and everything. The worst part about it all is that I know she will be happier without me bringing her down. What has helped is keeping busy and trying to focus on the positive.

I will always care for her and things are amicable. We all have people enter our lives for a reason and sometimes people have to go their separate ways. The best thing for me is to learn from my mistakes and hope to not repeat them. Unfortunately, lots of veterans with PTSD have experienced divorce and overall have an increased divorce rate.

Keep your head up and know we are all in this together!

I apologize for what you are going through sounds like we have the exact same problem... The entire process is stressful. I am so tired of waking up and putting on the uniform everyday. I tried after they found me fit to go on and be successful, but I was unable to. I hope this time around they find me unfit so I can go back home and live in a less stressful environment. I meet with the VA MSC today to go over everything. I am ready to find out what will happen so I can plan.

It can be very challenging some days. Part of my anxiety/depression etc is that I constantly feel like a burden to others. Really the best thing you can do; go about your business, take care of your responsibilities and make sure you are prioritizing YOUR needs to prepare for your future outside of the military.

At the same time make sure you are maintaining bearing to honor those who have fought, served and died to protect our freedom. Think back to the first time someone called you "Marine" and how that felt after earning it through blood, sweat and tears. Go back to that moment and remind yourself why you don your uniform each day. It is an honor and a privilege that very few people can do. Slow down to enjoy the small victories and don't let negative thoughts dominate your day.

I will be honest; I met the MCPON yesterday and I "borrowed" that last bit from him. He had me so motivated I wanted to hop on a ship today...then I had back spasms all night from vacuuming. Hahahaha.

So far no updates. The VA MSC says that I should be found unfit this time around and I can only hope that she is right.. Just waiting for the VA to schedule my C&P exams and start the process over again.

Any ideas on whether or not ill be found fit/unfit? I am only being boarded for the 2 conditions listed in the title. I have 17 other connections that will be on my VA. I am worried that the board will find me fit again.

The biggest thing is how your doctors notes and the NARSUM paint the picture of how well you can or cannot perform your duties. My Doctor has been very frank with me about what she feels my limitations are/are not.

What does your psychologist/psychiatrist think?

Have you drafted your NARSUM?

What about last time, what was in the NARSUM and DRs notes?

NVLSP's Lawyers Serving Warriors® program offers pro bono (that is, free) legal help to service members being processed through the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES). Cases are staffed by subject matter experts and pro bono attorneys from world-class law firms. If interested, apply here: https://nvlsp.wufoo.com/forms/s1jwh3jv14w3hou/.

The biggest thing is how your doctors notes and the NARSUM paint the picture of how well you can or cannot perform your duties. My Doctor has been very frank with me about what she feels my limitations are/are not.

What does your psychologist/psychiatrist think?

Have you drafted your NARSUM?

What about last time, what was in the NARSUM and DRs notes?

With this doctor within our second session he was starting the med board process. He states that my time in the Marines should be coming to an end. The same for my prescriber ( he states the Marines is not conducive with me getting better) and that I should be getting out soon.

My Dr. is drafting my Narsum and it will be ready 5 February for us to review.

Last time my NMA was the reason I was found fit. The last NMA stated I could do my job etc, which was not true and I was told there was no point to appeal since they felt so strongly about it.

I am a 2311 ammunition technician with no access to firearms or ammo it is physically impossible to fulfill the requirements of a Sgt. in this job.

This time around I have a command that agrees I should no longer be in, my Dr. seems to have the idea, and I have a good personal statement that I have drafted with the attorney ahead of time.

I have had the same diagnosis since 2015 and have been in IOP, OP, RCT, lots of talk therapy, multiple medications with zero improvement. All documented. I have seen off base providers, CCC, and others. I have been prescribed and Emotional support animal (who is being trained for service dog requirements).

I am just ready to be done entirely. everyday I wake up and its a struggle. 2-3 hours of sleep, constant nightmares and I'm just over it all.

Just an update for everyone. Reviewed by DBQ sheets today with the PEBLO and I am feeling okay about it all. I just read my NMA. They state do not retain, not worldwide deployable, not recommended for PDRL, and everything under the sun about how I cannot stay in. My NARSUM states it affects personal, social, and work life. My personal statement is drafted and submitted and it states that I do not want to stay in. I am hoping this board goes in the direction I want.

Good luck with everything. I hope it turns out better than last time. It sounds like you have been very thorough in your approach.

How did the ESA prescription work? I have a dog that I know helps with my anxiety (and performs three different specific functions to help) and have talked to my shrink but she is in the official service dog or nothing camp. Did you request one? Was this a dog you already owned?

Good luck with everything. I hope it turns out better than last time. It sounds like you have been very thorough in your approach.

How did the ESA prescription work? I have a dog that I know helps with my anxiety (and performs three different specific functions to help) and have talked to my shrink but she is in the official service dog or nothing camp. Did you request one? Was this a dog you already owned?

This time around I am not really leaving it up to chance for someone to mess with me. I am very limited in what I do in the workplace so they seem to respect it.

As far as the dog goes. I was originally seeing an LCSW off base in 2015 who wrote a recommendation for a service dog. I have since seen multiple drs. yearly to get a new "prescription letter". Since I already owned my German Shepherd I just attended classes for him to make sure he could behave on and off base. I looked up different service dog "public access tests" or "canine good citizenship tests" and we just worked on those. In a few weeks he will be gone for about 2 weeks because he is going to go stay with a trainer to finish off everything and to work on stuff that is out of my league or more difficult for an individual session once a week. Everything I have read online and what I have been told is that you do not need a "test" for your dog to become a service animal, but you do need the letter stating something like "how long your dr. has been treating you, why it benefits you etc." there is a distinct difference between ESA and Service dog (quick google search will explain better than I can type it out). I just started with my own dog and then started meeting with trainers. He performs about 5-6 specialized tasks for me when I have an episode, and then he also has all his basic obedience taken care of. I know I am kinda all over the place talking about it, but hopefully it makes some sense. I did look into service dog groups, but my dog was already there for me and we had a great relationship so I just met with a trainer who could assist me in meeting what other stuff I needed him to do.

Update for anyone who cares.

Just signed my entire package yesterday 20180321. Met with the attorney and we reviewed some possible holes in the case and adjusted the personal statement to mention the holes. I hope that this time around my package goes fast, but was told it could take the 120 day period.